Davids Gun Room

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by Harhib, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

I haven’t been in the place in about 20 years, I was in the area this morning so decided to stop by. I was surprised that they had a sign on the door saying no loaded firearms, only exception is law enforcement and employees. I understand it’s a private business that’s their right, just saying!

2. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

A debated issue around here - "cold" ranges and stores. If you have ever worked at a place like this or listened to their stories, you would know why they put up signs like that. I'm not sure how effective they are though as idiots will be idiots - signs won't stop them.

Adam5 likes this.

3. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

And I won't shop those either. And will advise them of why.

Nemo

4. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

At least one place I know, we were flat told by the manager that they put the same sign up because insurance told them to. He also said that they don't care, as long as you aren't being an idiot.

5. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Funny, neither of the ranges I frequent have such a sign. If insurance insists on it why do they not have the sign up too? Hmmmm.....

6. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Insurance companies vary - maybe some insist, maybe some offer discounts, maybe some don't have it affect the policy at all. Where I shoot at (Bullseye Marksman in Cumming), it is a cold range and is posted as such. I never really asked why, but I have heard their stories of crazy people coming in with loaded firearms for maintenance, claiming that they were unloaded and nearly getting someone killed while they waived it around with their finger on the trigger.

7. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

David's has had that sign up for many years. Ask them to show you their collection of cartridges from "unloaded" guns. If you OC, they will ask you to drop the mag. If you CC, as long as they don't see it, they don't make a fuss.

8. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Any place where guns can be expected to be talked about, shown off, used to test the fit of holsters or spare magazines, or drawn for the purpose of showing somebody the HP rounds you carry in your mag... those are places that should be COLD. No loaded guns allowed there. Unload the thing in your vehicle, and don't reload it until you're back in your car and ready to leave the property.

The problem with freedom is that so many people are too stupid to be trusted with it. Even if they won't intentionally shoot anybody, they'll have a negligent discharge by accident. Every gun store and pawn shop has horror stories. My local gunshop/ pawn place has had TWO accidental discharges that resulted in damage or injury in just the last few years.
    Yes, they have a "no loaded firearms" sign.
    Yes, I disregard it most of the time, because I KNOW that I won't be touching my firearm in there for any reason.
    If I see a holster in there that I want to check the fit of, I'll go out to my car and make the weapon safe and come back in.

9. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Many gun stores, including Cabellas, Bass Pro (Yes, I know they are the same now), the Barrett place in Tennessee, and even some other local stores trust their customers to know the difference between a self-defense gun carried loaded and a gun they are buying, selling, need to buy a holster for, or want serviced. The former should always stay holstered unless it is needed (many signs then say judicious aim is appreciated). The latter should be cold before you leave your house.

10. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

I agree with Craftsman