Dashcam footage in OH open carry "felony stop"

Discussion in 'In the News' started by jrm, Aug 11, 2006.

1. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

While my blood is boiling (see other thread today at http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8627#8627), remember the case in OH where a guy was pulled over based on a "man with a gun" call, ordered out of his car at rifle point, and subsequently charged with failure to notify he was carrying concealed (he was open carrying) and carrying a gun (the municipality banned carrying guns, even though OH supposedly has preemption)? The footage of the police dash cam is available here OH Open Carry Case, along with some court documents and news items for the case. I'll warn you that the video is long (about 31 minutes), and it stops abruptly even though the incident is not over. The news reports have indicated that the "perp" was agitated and somewhat abusive of the police. Given the circumstances, I thought he handled himself fairly well.

My favorite quote: While handcuffed in the backseat of the squad car, he yells to the officers (outside the car), "Am I free to go?"

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

"Am I free to go?" :D That's classic!

How, exactly, was he supposed to notify them in that situation? Is there some contention that the officers were unaware that he had a gun?

If so, why were they pointing guns at him?

3. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

OH's CCW law requires notifying that one is carrying concealed when stopped and approached by the police. Here, they were so afraid of the man with the gun that they yelled to him from their car (they were so far back they weren't even on camera, to him sitting in his car, parked a car length or so in front of them. They admit they couldn't hear what he was saying, and he insists he told them he was carrying, even though he plainly was open carrying (the law appears to require notification when carrying concealed). He can be heard clearly telling them he has a CCW when they bring him back to their car after picking him up off the ground (yes, he was ordered at AR-15 point to lie face down on the ground with his hands up). There is wonderful footage of the officer with the rifle, pointing it directly at the guy, hand on trigger, as he approaches, as though the man might unleash a fury of bullets from the back of his head.