Dangerous game banned in Colorado elementary school

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by AV8R, Aug 30, 2007.

1. AV8R

AV8R Banned

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070830/D8RBARRG2.html

Aug 30, 7:44 AM (ET)

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) - An elementary school has banned tag on its playground after some children complained they were harassed or chased against their will.

"It causes a lot of conflict on the playground," said Cindy Fesgen, assistant principal of the Discovery Canyon Campus school.

Running games are still allowed as long as students don't chase each other, she said.

Fesgen said two parents complained to her about the ban but most parents and children didn't object.

In 2005, two elementary schools in the nearby Falcon School District did away with tag and similar games in favor of alternatives with less physical contact. School officials said the move encouraged more students to play games and helped reduce playground squabbles.

--------

Yeah, we don't want kids learning how to deal with conflict. :roll:

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Awesome! In 1000 years, not only will we have super strong strains of viral and bacterial evil to match with our lack of immune systems, we'll be anti-Wolverines. :(

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Holy :censored:, what a :censored: piece of :censored: with a horse's :censored: up her :censored:

4. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Please tell me this is a joke :shakehead:

5. Claire

Claire New Member

I heard about that this morning - I feel bad for the kids growing up now.

so I guess they don't play dodge ball anymore?

or line someone up against the wall & throw a ball at them?

or manhunt?

or a bunch of kids line up and the other team jumps on their back trying to knock them over i forget the name of that game but ya always come out with a bloddy nose, elbow or knee - it was fun to poke someone else int he eyes when the whole group fell down :roll:

I'm so glad I grew up in the early 70's

6. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I would do so, but this is hardly the first school that's enacted a tag ban.

7. merlock

merlock Active Member

Dodgeball has been :banned: for years. :(

8. Mobster989

Mobster989 New Member

No tag...I wonder if they still have football.

Damn man, they are just kids. Let them play tag or play cowboys and indians or whatever else. If you don't like being chased the don't play, if they still chase you turn around and buck up. Teaching kids they have to run off and get a grown-up everytime they get in the tiniest bit of trouble is just going to make them dependant on government when they are older.

9. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Don't you think that's the point?

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Maybe the fact that kids can't run around and be kids is one of the reasons that childhood obesity is skyrocketing.

11. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

When I was growing up (and this is not that long ago) I was allowed to go out in the morning, as long as I stayed where I could hear Mom holler or whistle, which was about a mile and a half in every direction. I had to come back in for lunch, then I could go back out until dinner with the same rules.

I grew up in Northcliff Colony apartments for those of you familiar with the Gainesville area... it's right there on the lake so I spent most of my days in the summers fishing, swimming, running through the woods being a hooligan, and generally trying not to get caught going places I wasn't allowed by Mom to.

Not only that, but we played tag every day at school and I think I turned out alright, despite what Macktee will tell you.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

When I grew up in Memphis, I was pretty much expected to be outside until the street lights turned on.

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:ditto:

14. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

We're raising a generation of pansies. They say they need to play games with LESS physical contact! You only hit/pat/strike/smack someone with your hand. Any less contact would be ... let's see now...NONE!

My boys play like boys are supposed to, but I see some of their friends who never go outside and would probably cry if you got the least bit physical with them.

Like others here, when I grew up I told my parents where I was going and then didn't come back for hours. We played army in the pine forests and built tree forts and rode our bikes.

Look, if you don't want to get chased, then DON'T RUN! Mind your own business and quit tattling on the others.

15. LeCZends

LeCZends Guest

And if you hung around the house to long your parents made you go outside. Ah yes, the good old days :righton:

16. Claire

Claire New Member

these little brats need to go to Claire Boot camp :twisted:

they need to learn how to hop wire fences
    or jump off roofs
    go down a steep hill on a skateboard & crash

bahahahaha!

17. LeCZends

LeCZends Guest

+1
    It had to be the steepest hill in the neighborhood and you caught :censored: if you didn't at least make an attempt. And we had the skinny boards not the skateboards with the wide wheel bases like they have now. You'd get half way down the hill and that bad boy would start shaking out of control. It was expected that you would crash and burn but that never stopped us. We were out of our minds but we always had a blast :D

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Deck the Halls.

Make marines don gay apparel
    Fa la la
    Fa la la
    La la la
    We'll put flowers in their gun belts
    Fa la la la la
    La la la la

19. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Must be on some of that "lawyer crack" they were talking about...

20. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Must be on some of that "lawyer crack" they were talking about...[/quote:109pjrr8]
    Just like college students...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and I had to post this one simply because I like it
    [​IMG]