Damn Yankee.

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by Stout, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Stout

Stout New Member

Hi. I'm Stout.

I live in Decatur, currently. Originally, I am from New York. Born and raised on Long Island, about an hour from NYC. If you meet me in person, you probably won't even guess I am from New York. I don't have an accent, or an attitude (well, sometimes).

I am an Eagle Scout, I learned to shoot while at Boy Scout camp as a kid. As a young adult, I'd go on to work at various summer camps, usually as a range instructor. As I got older, and more tenured, I eventually became the Rifle Range Director, and then "Shooting Sports Director", overseeing all the fun at Camp. My last stop was a position as a professional fundraiser and recruiter for the BSA, with a summer assignment back at camp as the Shooting Sports director once more. I fully abused both positions in order to raise funds to purchase massive amounts of Marlin .22's and Mossberg 500's under the guise of 'revamping' the Shooting programs. The kids played along perfectly by flooding the ranges looking to partake, and earning a record number of merit badges and NRA qualification medals.

Sadly, I still lived in New York. In 2001, some nuts committed one of the worst atrocities known to man.

And after they elected Hillary Clinton to the Senate, and I didn't think things could get worse, 9/11 happened.

Tired of my "New Yorker" friends saying I was a misplaced redneck because of my enjoyment of firearms and the outdoors, and then secretly asking me to take them shooting some time, I moved south. I wound up in Florida, where I quickly realized that everyone I wanted to flee from in New York was already in Florida.

So, I went to Tennessee, where I found out what a "Halfback" is. That's someone from the north who moves to Florida, hates it, and then heads north again, but only goes "halfback" and stays in the south.

Oddly, during all this time, my ability to make time for myself to go shooting went out the window. A woman was involved...

After some unpleasantness there (involving said woman, also a New Yorker), I headed to Atlanta. Now, I work in healthcare, I volunteer with the Georgia State Defense Force, and have been getting back into the shooting sports. I really, truly love Atlanta and Georgia.

Currently, I have a small array of rifles. Two .22's and an AR-180 (Sterling). I pawned my shotguns back in Tennessee (part of aforementioned unpleasantness). Being from New York, and a law abiding citizen, handguns are pretty foreign to me (and I wish that was a joke).

I am also building my first AR 15. I nearly have all the parts for my upper, and then I can move onto the lower.

So, that's me. I am glad to be here, and I hope to see ya'll on the range.

2. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

Lawrenceville sends out greetings by way of another Damned Yankee...
    formerly from Nassau County (south shore of LI for you sons of the south).

Welcome to Georgia and GPDO !! :D

3. jdh31313

jdh31313 Active Member

Welcome from Hinesville!

4. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Sounds like a good man. We welcome all damn Yankee because you realized the South was better and stayed. :D :righton:

Welcome! Enjoy your new found freedoms!

5. elandil

elandil Redneck Engineer

Welcome. :welcome:

damn yankees keep gettin smarter and gettin out of new york

:lol:

6. rainmaker

rainmaker New Member

Enjoyed your post, and welcome! :)

7. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

welcome to freedom, i mean umm... georgia.

8. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

Welcome.

We're taking this place over. :shattered:

9. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

10. Stout

Stout New Member

Hey BG_Atl! South shore, Suffolk county here. Grew up off William Floyd Parkway, right near Smiths Point Nat'l Seashore!

11. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

the Moriches area... know it well...
    a busy jumping off point to Fire Island :lol:

Glad that you found your way to Georgia... we all wise up with age :righton:

12. goldshellback

goldshellback New Member

Well, Welcome Aboard from down Camden County way!

13. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Now that was an introduction! Welcome.

14. moga

moga New Member

Great intro Yankee! Welcome. Hope to see you around.

15. Stout

Stout New Member

Heh, thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I appreciate it, much!

16. Swamper

Swamper Member

Welcome from Marietta.

I am certain you will enjoy handgun shooting as much as you did with rifles.

On another note, I am originally from further South but, my wife is also
    a former "islander." Her introduction to pistols was quite interesting, to say
    the least.

:wave:

17. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

We like Damn Yankees with guns....when your on our side ;-)

18. whateverjones

whateverjones New Member

The first step to rehabilitation is realizing you need help. :-D WELCOME.

19. lespaulplayer

lespaulplayer New Member

Stout, I'm from Wading River man! Moved here 2 years ago when I finished college. I got into handguns right away since my graduation gift was a Glock 19. Now I'm at 5 pistols, an AR and a shotgun. It's a disease. Welcome! I won't lie and say that there aren't certain things I miss about Long Island though.

20. Mil-Spec Ordnance

Mil-Spec Ordnance New Member

Welcome from another Eagle Scout!