CZ Scorpion

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Schweisshund, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Active Member

I was in a local gun store and saw one. I had been planning on getting an AR15 pistol, and that was what my intentions were (window shopping) when I went in. Then I saw the CZ scorpion and immediately wanted to know everything about this gun. It is 9mm - I really wish they made it for .40 or even 10 mm ( http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=70067.0 )

I like that the overall length is shorter than an AR15 pistol. However, I never understood why the AR15 pistol needs the gas tube extension where it is and the PLR 16 doesn't (PLR 16 looks like the Han Solo blaster). I am not happy with the 9 mm - if the cz scorpion came in .40 I would definitely pick one up right now. I just like that pistol round.

I did some web surfing and found a 100 round drum for it, but reviews were not great. I am also curious what hoops I would have to go through to get a full auto scorpion, or even MP5. I am not familiar with applying for a class III license, but I do know it is expensive.

Does anyone have one? Do you like it?

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/why-so-few-40-sub-machine-guns.493090/

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

2. johnski

johnski Active Member

I had one, sold it. It's basically a big,heavy 9mm pistol. Unless you are going to SBR it or get the legal carbine version, what does it offer over a regular 9mm pistol. If you need a 9mm "carbine" or sbr it, wouldn't a regular rifle do you much better in situations where you would need a rifle? That was my reasoning. Is it cool looking, yes. If I could have gone back I would not have bought mine in the first place. Of course a few months after I sold it, the ATF reverses itself and says it's ok to shoulder a pistol brace, but it's still meh. A rifle or handgun does what it does much better imho.

Schweisshund and jag_357 like this.
  3. Schweisshund

That was the main take away I had too - its just a 9 mm pistol. I can get an AR15 pistol for $400 - the cz scorpion is $850

4. Schweisshund

I really think gun manufacturers should allow dealers to have a demo they can rent to potential customers to test fire it on the range (rental fee maybe?)

I never have liked purchasing a firearm that I was not allowed to test fire on a range.

5. 175FO

175FO Member

A lot of manufacturer's do have demonstration/rental firearm programs. Usually the manufacturer allows the range to buy a demonstration firearm at an extremely discounted rate with an agreement that they have to maintain it as a demonstration item for a certain period of time (usually 1 year). They can then sell it as a used firearm.

Schweisshund likes this.
  6. Archangel

Archangel Super Moderator Staff Member

Most AR-15 pistols use the same direct impingement gas system that AR-15 rifles use, thus they need the buffer tube (not gas tube, the gas tube is under the handguard) to operate.

The PLR-16 uses a piston gas system similar to the AR180/B. No buffer tube necessary, so it can be much shorter.

The short answer is, you can't. Due to the Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986, it is illegal to transfer a full auto weapon manufactured after 1986 to a civilian. This is why full auto weapons are so prohibitively expensive today. Buy an MP5? Sure thing as long as you have a spare $40,000 lying around...

https://dealernfa.com/shop/mp5a3-sbr-fleming-sear-4-position-dyer-excellent-h2107-6502/

My son just bought the Scorpion Carbine. He loves it. I haven't shot it yet, but it looks to be a great little blaster and 9mm is still considerably cheaper to shoot than 5.56. I want the pistol version myself. I may SBR it or just use the arm brace.

Schweisshund likes this.
  7. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

They are very nice, very well built and accurate, I got to see one and shoot one last month, a friend of a friend bought one

Schweisshund and Archangel like this.
  8. TITAN308

TITAN308 Active Member

Still hands down the favorite thing in my collection. Of course mine has been modified a bit.

[​IMG]

Schweisshund likes this.
  9. Schweisshund

Does the barrel come threaded for a silencer or did you have to get it threaded?

10. TITAN308

TITAN308 Active Member

My barrel was actually cut down further and re-threaded for 1/2 x 36 for that specific suppressor.

I had one of the originals from 2015, so it came with the goofy 18x1 pattern. So you either had to run an adapter (see below pic) or yes get it re-threaded.

I believe current models have a standard 1/2 x 28 threading.

This was before the current mods (circa late 2015) and a standard 1/2 x 28 pistol suppressor (+ CZ Customs adapter)

[​IMG]

Schweisshund and EJR914 like this.
  11. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Now you can look like a serious badass while clearing your house

12. TITAN308

TITAN308 Active Member

Even without the suppressor its about as ideal as you can get for a home defense carbine.

About 20" even with stock.

[​IMG]

EJR914 and Schweisshund like this.
  13. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

The Beretta CX4 comes in 9mm .40 and .45. It takes readily available Beretta 92 mags. Seems like an interesting alternative to the Scorpion.

Schweisshund likes this.
  14. TITAN308

TITAN308 Active Member

The CX4 has an extremely poor aftermarket availability. I'd rank it above a Hi-Point carbine, but below everything else available.

Archangel likes this.
  15. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I like Hi Points. They always work well and the factory stands behind them completely. The only issue I have ever had was some magazine lip adjustment needs.

When and what issues did you have with shooting one?

Nemo

16. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

I'll wager he has never shot a Beretta CX4. I am unsure what aftermarket availability he refers to either. It has a picatinny rail and can mount the popular toys and accessories. It is cheaper than the CZ, lighter and Hickcok 45 seems to like it, aside from aesthetics.

I'll wager the response was a more knee jerk defense of personal choice than any thoughtful consideration or experience with the CX4.

17. TITAN308

TITAN308 Active Member

I've owned one futureusr. I'm not sure what got you butt-hurt about my comment, it was just my opinion.

Regarding after market support. Attaching things to a rail isn't "aftermarket support".

The aftermarket would consist of common products like replacement handguards, pistol grips, barrel choices, trigger options, etc etc

The CX4 has basically close to nill in any of these categories.

Your aftermarket choices with a CX4 are:

Optic
    Forward Grip
    Muzzle device
    Light/Laser Attachment

And thats about it.

The CZ EVO market is also puny compared to the AR market, but in constrast, the CX4 market is even more non-existent.

Do you want a gun that goes bang when you pull the trigger? Fine, buy a CX-4. Hell, buy a Hi-Point. I never claimed either would give malfunctions.

18. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

Honestly, I do not believe you ever owned a CX4. I have been a member of this forum since 2010 and have actively monitored it that entire time. You have not once mentioned owning or shooting a Beretta CX4 in 7 years. You have posted once in 2013 or so that CX4 was not a satisfactory option in your opinion. You have posted many times of your love for the Scorpion, which is fine. I take issue with your poo pooing of it without experience. I also take issue with you so easily goaded in to miss-remembering your ownership of a CX4. If I am doing you a complete disservice, provide a pic or post of your CX4 ownership, or a link to the sale. I know... none of my business right?

19. TITAN308

TITAN308 Active Member

Pretty much. You seem to have mistaken yourself for someone for which I hold in high enough regard to actually care and meet your demands.

Edit: We will make this simple, other users can:

1. Dismiss my opinion outright for whatever reason
    2. Actually spend 20 minutes researching CX4 as to the validity of my statements regarding aftermarket support (never once did I say anything about function)

But I don't have time, like in the past, to argue with a middle aged old man over the internet with a chip on his shoulder. (Yea I have a good memory too)

I'm done here. :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017