CZ 550

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by gtmatt, Oct 15, 2010.

1. gtmatt

gtmatt Member

I'm looking at a CZ 550 for hunting (deer). Anybody have experience with these? Anything to watch out for when looking at a used one? I've never had a bolt action before so I don't really know much about them. Thanks!

2. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

I've never owned one but had the chance to take a few shots with one once. It had the single set trigger and was a fine shooter. Almost as good as my Remington 700 but had a better trigger. Other than this I know nothing about them other than the people who own them swear by them...

3. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

What is the cost dif? That Rem700 is mighty popular.

What is the cost dif? That Rem700 is mighty popular.

EDIT - quick look (Googled):
    Rem 700 .30-06: about $550
    CZ .30-06: about $700

I shot a Rem 700, but it was .223 - scoped. Twas smooth and sweet, trigger set to about 3#.

4. gtmatt

gtmatt Member

The particular one I am looking at is a .308 and has a Redfield Revolution 3-9x50 scope on it. It is a used gun, $575. No obvious rust, barrel crown looks like it's in good shape, and the stock is in nice condition (walnut). The action seems to work fine, but I wouldn't know if there was a problem with it unless it was very obvious.

Based on the apparent condition and the fact that buying the setup new would be about $725 + $200 = $925, it seems like a pretty good deal. It has been at the store for a couple of weeks that I know of. Just don't want it to be one of those "too good to be true" deals, but I don't know what the usual markdown is for used rifles to be able to tell if something's not right with it based on price alone.

5. seajay

Yes the low end Remington 700 is less. The cost is about the same for similar equipment such as barrel length, weight, twist rate and stocks. The action on the 700 is better IMHO but I like the single set trigger of the CZ better. I have also heard the DPMS .308 mags will fit Remington .308 rifles. Not sure about that since my 700 doesn't take mags. I know the DPMS mags will NOT fit the mag well on my .308 770. Perhaps someone with a 700 that takes mags can verify this?

6. seajay

Before you buy it check to see if it has the single set trigger. Cycle the bolt then push forward on the trigger. If it clicks into a new position then it is the single set. Also pull the bolt and site down the barrel looking for signs of rust or scrapes. $575 sounds like a good price to me for it with or without the single set. Unless the action seems to drag at any point it should be fine.