Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sticking this in "Georgia in the News" because it's a local liberal columnist publishing her opinion to a local Georgia audience.

http://blogs.ajc.com/cynthia-tucker...rs-arizonas-lax-gun-laws/?cp=3#comment-148788

SUMMARY: The Sheriff out there in the jurisdiction of the mass-shooting in Arizona (Sheriff Dupnik) says that too many gun-loving angry conservatives are in his state, and Cynthia Tucker and the Brady Campain both take his words and expand on them, saying Arizona doesn't have much gun control and they need some. Like banning semi automatic handguns and high-capacity magazines. Actually they don't get into much detail about what kind of gun control they want, or what they think would have prevented this killer from doing what he did, but they're all hand-wringing about conservatives blocking reasonable gun control laws.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
What's new? :roll:

I guess AZ has lax murder laws too, because those statutes didn't prevent the maniac from attacking either.

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
:roll: Let all the Monday morning quarterbacks start telling us how this could have been prevented. We've heard all the experts telling us about warning signs since Columbine and still no nut has been stopped from doing ssomethin like this. Some people snap, other are just nuts and no LAW will EVER stop this from happening. As long as the human race exist we will have crazy people amoung us, and I for one am not prepared to give up my liberties becaue of a few nut jobs.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,404 Posts
I'm halfway expecting the Brady Campaign to rename itself to the Giffords Campaign.

There are going to be interesting bills in Congress this session for sure.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
gunsmoker said:
The Sheriff out there in the jurisdiction of the mass-shooting in Arizona (Sheriff Dupnik) says that too many gun-loving angry conservatives are in his state
From what I've read, it isn't conservative views that motivated this whack-job shooter. A very biased statement from someone in law enforcement.

gunsmoker said:
Like banning semi automatic handguns
And replacing them with? Fully automatic pistols? Maybe the Brady campaign can get us pistols where you have to pull the trigger 10 times per shot. That sounds useful.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Ah, it's all the same garbage talk, but nothing will come of it. Especially after the shellacking the Dems/Left got in this last election. They're obligated to talk about it, but when it comes down to it, they're not going to actually do anything about it.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RedDawnTheMusical said:
gunsmoker said:
Like banning semi automatic handguns
And replacing them with? Fully automatic pistols? Maybe the Brady campaign can get us pistols where you have to pull the trigger 10 times per shot. That sounds useful.
OH, DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS !

Pull the trigger 10 times per shot? Hmmm.... they want smart guns that recognize the lawful owner, right? How about this-- your gun comes with an on-board computer and some sensors. One will measure your pulse, blood pressure, etc. No shooting when you're angry or emotional! Gun is disabled until you calm down. Another sensor built into the grip will measure your blood alcohol content. If any booze or mouthwash is detected, the gun is locked for 12 hours.
And when you pull the trigger, a little LCD screen pops out just in front of the rear sight, asking "Are you sure you want to fire? Click twice more for YES, once more for NO."
And as soon as you squeeze the trigger again, intending to double-click the trigger and shoot the weapon, the screen switches to "You have chosen to abort this weapon discharge inititation. Is this your intent? Press Safety lever 1 to confirm, Press Safety 2 to "CLEAR" to return to the last screen."

I can see it coming. :shock:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I am even more disgusted with Cynthia than usual on this one...

Cynthia, I am saddened to see you seizing on such a tragedy to score a few measly points on one of your pet issues (gun control). A deranged individual injured and killed those poor people. Had he done it by crashing a car into the crowd, would you be encouraging we ban car sales? If he had thrown a molotov cocktail (gasoline with a rag wick in a glass bottle) and burned them, would you seek to prohibit the sale of gasoline? Of course not.

Guns are as much a reality of daily life in this country as cars and gasoline. Nothing will change that. There is no practical set of legislation that would keep a car, a gas can or a gun out of the hands of a deranged individual or prevent them from using them to cause harm. Ban all cars, gasoline or guns? A lunatic intent on doing harm will buy one illegally or find another way to acheive the same result.

Many of the most atrocious and tragic mass shootings in this country's history have been perpetrated with firearms that were not "assault rifles" and didn't have "high capacity magazines." These terms are more inflamatory than meaningul and simply help to beat the drum of those who oppose private gun ownership. Read an account of the Luby's Cafeteria shooting in 1991 (perpetrated with two of the most common "standard" pistols in the United States) or the University of Texas shootings in 1966 (perpetrated with a bolt-action hunting rifle) and consider what the survivors have to say about the time it took those shooters to reload and continue firing.

At the end of the day, the proposed "gun control" efforts now popping up in Washington DC in response to this tragedy at the hands of others who also would seek to use this tragedy to score a few measly points for their agendas will in no way another criminal or a deranged individual from doing the same thing again, and will impact only those law-abiding citizens who choose to own firearms for recreation or self-defense.

Please do not dishonor the victims of this terrible tragedy by making their wounds and their deaths a rallying cry for legislation or policy changes that would have done nothing to spare them their tragic fates. Focus instead on practical, actionable improvements to public safety and congressional security that might actually have saved them.

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
latter_day_hippie said:
I am even more disgusted with Cynthia than usual on this one...

Cynthia, I am saddened to see you seizing on such a tragedy to score a few measly points on one of your pet issues (gun control). A deranged individual injured and killed those poor people. Had he done it by crashing a car into the crowd, would you be encouraging we ban car sales? If he had thrown a molotov cocktail (gasoline with a rag wick in a glass bottle) and burned them, would you seek to prohibit the sale of gasoline? Of course not.

Guns are as much a reality of daily life in this country as cars and gasoline. Nothing will change that. There is no practical set of legislation that would keep a car, a gas can or a gun out of the hands of a deranged individual or prevent them from using them to cause harm. Ban all cars, gasoline or guns? A lunatic intent on doing harm will buy one illegally or find another way to acheive the same result.

Many of the most atrocious and tragic mass shootings in this country's history have been perpetrated with firearms that were not "assault rifles" and didn't have "high capacity magazines." These terms are more inflamatory than meaningul and simply help to beat the drum of those who oppose private gun ownership. Read an account of the Luby's Cafeteria shooting in 1991 (perpetrated with two of the most common "standard" pistols in the United States) or the University of Texas shootings in 1966 (perpetrated with a bolt-action hunting rifle) and consider what the survivors have to say about the time it took those shooters to reload and continue firing.

At the end of the day, the proposed "gun control" efforts now popping up in Washington DC in response to this tragedy at the hands of others who also would seek to use this tragedy to score a few measly points for their agendas will in no way another criminal or a deranged individual from doing the same thing again, and will impact only those law-abiding citizens who choose to own firearms for recreation or self-defense.

Please do not dishonor the victims of this terrible tragedy by making their wounds and their deaths a rallying cry for legislation or policy changes that would have done nothing to spare them their tragic fates. Focus instead on practical, actionable improvements to public safety and congressional security that might actually have saved them.
+1

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,404 Posts
gunsmoker said:
And when you pull the trigger, a little LCD screen pops out just in front of the rear sight, asking "Are you sure you want to fire? Click twice more for YES, once more for NO."
You forgot Press 1 for English, 2 for Spanish. :)

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
Rugerer said:
gunsmoker said:
That could be considered racial profiling :roll:

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,404 Posts
budone1967 said:
Rugerer said:
gunsmoker said:
That could be considered racial profiling :roll:
Or good customer service for about every ATM and automated phone system I've encountered that has a language question somewhere in it's menu options... :roll:

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
68,519 Posts
She's is highlighting his call on the legislators to use this tragedy to keep the current ban on guns on campus (except for the man speaking, of course, because he's special). We all know that there will be no murders on on a campus if they just ban guns on campus, right?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
gunsmoker said:
The Sheriff out there in the jurisdiction of the mass-shooting in Arizona (Sheriff Dupnik) says that too many gun-loving angry conservatives are in his state,...
In his state only....I say in a lot of other states also. :evil:

·
Registered
51 Posts
gunsmoker said:
I'm sticking this in "Georgia in the News" because it's a local liberal columnist publishing her opinion to a local Georgia audience.

http://blogs.ajc.com/cynthia-tucker...rs-arizonas-lax-gun-laws/?cp=3#comment-148788

SUMMARY: The Sheriff out there in the jurisdiction of the mass-shooting in Arizona (Sheriff Dupnik) says that too many gun-loving angry conservatives are in his state, and Cynthia Tucker and the Brady Campain both take his words and expand on them, saying Arizona doesn't have much gun control and they need some. Like banning semi automatic handguns and high-capacity magazines. Actually they don't get into much detail about what kind of gun control they want, or what they think would have prevented this killer from doing what he did, but they're all hand-wringing about conservatives blocking reasonable gun control laws.
http://thechollajumps.wordpress.com/201 ... ks-office/ here is the scoop on the sheriff.he is in spin mode

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
She and these other blood suckers have no shame.... no shame at all.

I just saw a psychologist give a possible diagnosis of this monster, saying from the eye-witness accounts of his actions at college, in class, that he could be a paranoid schizophrenic. Meaning he could possibly see and hear things that were not there, on top of being severely paranoid.

Of course, no psychologist can give a real diagnosis without actually interviewing and spending a lot of time with a patient, but the fact that this psychologist would actually come out and say there are some tell-tale signs are very telling, because most psychologist won't even talk about a diagnosis without meeting the subject.

Here is the low-down on paranoid schizophrenics: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/parano ... N=symptoms

Signs and symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia may include:

* Auditory hallucinations, such as hearing voices
* Delusions, such as believing a co-worker wants to poison you
* Anxiety
* Anger
* Emotional distance
* Violence
* Argumentativeness
* Self-important or condescending manner
* Suicidal thoughts and behavior

·
Registered
41 Posts
http://blogs.ajc.com/cynthia-tucker/201 ... un-lunacy/

Here's some more ramblings I saw today. At least a few good ideas may stem from the tragedy (arming congressmen and congresswomen, along with their aides). I would assume everyone on here is a strong 2ndA supporter on here, but how many more articles such as these will it take to start changing the rest of the nations' minds!? It's truly ridiculous.

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
Cynthia Tucker :screwy: need I say more?

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
I remembered an old article she wrote about the DC sniper case. I remembered it being all about race and not about firearms or 2A. I searched the AJC...no posts found...well I found it archived online:

Add another load to the black man’s burden
Political commentary from Pulitzer Prize winner Cynthia Tucker of The AJC
http://www.crimlaw.org/defbrief222.html
Nov. 3, 2002
As the newscaster read the suspect’s name, “John Allen Williams, aka John Allen Muhammad,†skeins of dread knotted in my gut, pushing back the relief that had welled up with first news of the sniper’s arrest. I waited for the inevitable mug shot to pop up on my television screen.

I stared, trying through sheer willpower to alter the suspect’s racial identity. But it was no use. A man whose mother gave him the name “John Allen Williams†and who later changed it to “John Allen Muhammad†could only be black.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts