cut thorns, vines, privet bushes

Discussion in 'How to' started by gunsmoker, Jun 6, 2018.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

A machete is hard to swing in a dense jungle.

A short hand saw like the Stanley Short Cut works better in tight quarters.

BUT, EVEN BETTER, is a cordless reciprocating saw. A Sawzall type thing, battery powered.

ED3204B3-7370-483B-9BC6-8931F6E43051.png

I pinned the deadman's safety switch on a Ryobi cordless saw (for easier 1-hand use) and really did a number on some bushes and 5-foot tall thorns and kudzu in my yard.

Just grab a handful of vegetation with one hand, pull it tight, and saw it though in a second. It lets you reach out pretty far, too.

2. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

I am going to report you to the mattress tag removal police for defeating the deadman safety feature on your dangerous power tool that you probably kept with your arsenal of tools. :mrgreen:

Now, don't ask me how I removed a 40' long continuous gutter , 20' up in the air, from my house 3 days ago, all by myself. Nobody but me knew it happened, and nothing hit the ground. The difficult part in installing 40' of new gutter, all by myself, but I am almost done with that.

The clever use of tools makes life a whole lot easier, don't it? I have re-sided my entire house with Hardi-Plank, some of it 25' up in the air, all by my lonesome. I get by with a little help from my friends (my very handy tools).

3. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

4. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Easier than that. less expensive and less dangerous is to pick up some Ortho Poison Ivy Killer. It will kill everything you said you were cutting. Just spray it on the leaves and in a couple of weeks it will be gone. You don't have to soak it just get in on the leaves and move on. The leaves will carry it to the roots.

5. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

Whatever you do, don't burn the ivy after you cut it down. Breathing smoke from that can be lethal.

6. FrontSight

FrontSight Well-Known Member

xTram-13-cane-main.jpg.pagespeed.ic.0-5q5hOFwH.jpg Cane Axe aka Cane Knife, cost is cheap, I sharpened the inside of the hook on mine

[​IMG]

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I've been wondering if that stuff works on poison ivy.

8. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Yes it works on poison ivy. For some reason it does not work on hedera ivy. It will kill a large variety of weeds and other invasive plant life as well. Such as poke salad, milk weed and others.

9. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Back in 2012 I decided to fall some 20' out of a tree I was trimming while on a ladder. Smacked my tailbone pretty well (still have occasional pain) and broke my wrist. I no longer climb into trees or anything higher than myself. Contrary to popular opinion grass is not soft when you fall onto it.

10. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Can it get on the "good" plant life without damaging or killing it?

11. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Page 3 should help
    Ortho-Brush-B-Gon-label.pdf

Attached Files:

12. gunsmoker

A herbicide is not going to selectively kill the bush but leave the tree alive .
    herbicide won't kill the kudzu (only) leaving your rosebush intact.

And even if you wanted to kill everything that grows in a certain area, herbicide won't dispose of the corpses!
    I personally don't want gray stiff dead bush skeletons in my yard for the next year or two.

A sawzall allows you to reach into a tangle of vegetation and selectively prune certain limbs or cut certain vines leaving the good plant unharmed .

13. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Well actually no you made the matter worse for your good plants. It may look good for awhile ,but the limbs you cut will put on several new sprouts where you cut it. The vines will do the same. All the while the undesirable plants that you cut will be sapping the good plants of water and nutrients. The only way to kill an undesirable is to use a chemical or yank it out by the roots. Pretty much how you would deal with any undesirable..

14. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

The fastest and best way to spread Kudzu is to cut it. Using a product called "Ground Clear. Will clear out an entire area. Using a product called "Poison Ivy Killer" (formally know as Brush Be Gone) kills the roots of only the plants you put it on the leaves. There are a lot of plants I have used it around without harming them at all. Even some grass varieties are not harmed by it. Saint Augustine Grass is one that will not survive. I suspect many of the broad leaf grasses would not fair any better.

15. gunsmoker

I've helped clear acres of Kudzu.
    The best way is to cut it and pull it up first,
    making sure to dig up the taproots (could be 20 feet away from where you find the vines).

Then, when the plant is weak and starving, it will sprout a new set of buds.
    THOSE are what you spray, a couple of weeks after the cutting and digging.
    When the plant is most vulnerable, it's easier to kill with a spray of glyphosate (strong concentration).