Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Sledgehammer
4,771 Posts
Re: Cumming's Fairgrounds Off Limits?

mountainpass said:
He said, "Well it'll have to be tried in court."
I don't see a city ordinance against it. Looks like they just made it up, which means they couldn't even attempt to enforce it. Probably need a test subject, though, if you really want to establish who's right.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts

Well I just got off the phone with the City of Cumming Administrator, Mr. Gerald Blackburn. He said he'll get the signs pulled down. I guess now we will see how much influence he has. I told him I'd check back next week.

·
Sledgehammer
4,771 Posts

mountainpass said:
Well I just got off the phone with the City of Cumming Administrator, Mr. Gerald Blackburn. He said he'll get the signs pulled down. I guess now we will see how much influence he has. I told him I'd check back next week.
Good job!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

Excellent, indeed. I am also pleased to see the County taking some action. I had emailed Ken Jarrard months ago. We had a previous round of issues getting the signs changed after the last law changed. It has been a multi-year saga with these people.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts

Guys thanks for the accolades, but wait til next week and see if it takes.

Edit:
kkennett said:
I am also pleased to see the County taking some action.
I think the City owns it.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts

Adam5 said:
psrumors said:
I'll be calling them tomorrow to ask for the sign to be removed.
It sounds like getting them down is already in progress.

Date: November 13, 2010 Publication: Atlanta Journal-Constitution, The (GA) Page Number: B4 Word Count: 421

The Forsyth County Commission will call for a public hearing to change the county ordinance and signs regarding bringing weapons into county parks, on the advice of county attorney Ken Jarrard, who told the commission this week that the change is necessary because a new state law allows guns to be carried in public places where it used to be illegal. The commission has yet to set a date for the hearing.
What? That appears to be incorrect itself! Was only illegal if there was a "public gathering"..was it ever due to a public place?

·
Banned
9,358 Posts

jrm said:
mountainpass said:
He said, "Well it'll have to be tried in court."
I don't see a city ordinance against it. Looks like they just made it up, which means they couldn't even attempt to enforce it. Probably need a test subject, though, if you really want to establish who's right.
Free legal service? I'll test it! :twisted:

·
Senior Mumbler
6,453 Posts

mountainpass said:

I stopped there this morning. I went in and spoke with Mr. Dave Horton. I explained to him that it was against state law to forbid weapons. He stated that they have a family atmosphere there and have several police plus some plain clothes officers in the crowd. He stated that since they lease the fairgrounds to outside interests that the law doesn't pertain to them. I told him I was of the opinion that the fairgrounds are city property that the laws of the state apply. He said, "Well it'll have to be tried in court."

I wasn't there very long. I tried to see the mayor but he was not in his office.
His argument might of held just a little bit of credibility if it was a lessee that put up their own sign for an event, but this is a government entity that put up a no firearms sign and that's a no-no.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts

204 (c) Except as provided in Code Section 16-11-127.1, a license holder or person recognized
205 under subsection (e) of Code Section 16-11-126 shall be authorized to carry a weapon as
206 provided in Code Section 16-11-135 and in every location in this state not listed in
207 subsection (b) of this Code section; provided, however, that private property owners or
208 persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement,
209 contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right
to
210 forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code
211 Section 16-11-135. A violation of subsection (b) of this Code section shall not create or
212 give rise to a civil action for damages.
http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2009_10/pdf/sb308.pdf

Example: Public Property but you pay $$$ to go through a gate such as a car show or a fair. Pretty good chance there is a lease contract?????? If so then it's time to CC.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,150 Posts

Well if I were an event organizer and I rented the use of the fairgrounds for a weekend, I would like to think that I can make my own rules for conduct during my event.
But then, violating "my rule" could not result in a criminal charge, unless I tell you to leave and you refuse to get out.
If the City has its own rule against weapons on the fairgrounds, I wonder if they will try to enforce it as a 'code of conduct" violation or a criminal offense?

·
Senior Mumbler
6,453 Posts

gunsmoker said:
If the City has its own rule against weapons on the fairgrounds, I wonder if they will try to enforce it as a 'code of conduct" violation or a criminal offense?
Doesn't matter. The law takes that ability away from the city no matter how they plan to enforce it.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,758 Posts

zookeper said:
it appears that the signs have came down :righton: i stopped at all three entrances and it appears only alcohol and skateboards are still prohibited.
OC time, baby! :D

Teach the sheep they have the right to be sheepdogs.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
zoo said:
it appears that the signs have come down i stopped at all three entrances and it seems only alcohol and skateboards are still prohibited.
Between psrumors and me they must of got the message.

Sometimes, I guess all you have to do is ask. :D

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Woo Hoo. Great job guys. I'm glad Cumming officials came to their senses without having to pay a lot of money out to defend a case they would lose. Once again, GREAT JOB GUYS.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
WONDERFUL WORK, Gents!
Maybe this will be a lesson to some of those arrogant, condescending, reigning "officials" that they better jump when they're breaking the law just like we 'subjects' have to do.
Rub their face in it!
Gotta love it...just LOVE IT!
Regards,
Lawton

21 - 39 of 39 Posts