Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Cumming today for an antique steam engine and tractor show. Prior to entering the fairgrounds there was a sign up that stated no firearms or knives.

Is it really off limits?

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Re: Cumming's Fairgrounds Off Limits?

No, but they can ask you to leave. Signs carry no legal weight. Conceal, and enjoy!

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts

·
Registered
7,594 Posts

mountainpass said:
I have looked into this before. I don't think they can restrict carry there.

CountryGun this fairgrounds is owned by the city of Cumming.
Thanks! Then it's no different than any other park.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts

CountryGun said:
No, but they can ask you to leave. Signs carry no legal weight. Conceal, and enjoy!
If you OC and are asked to leave while attempting to enter the fairgrounds, then aren't they in fact banning firearms?

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts

If you OC and are asked to leave while attempting to enter the fairgrounds, then aren't they in fact banning firearms?
I said:
I don't think they can restrict carry there.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts

AV8R said:
CountryGun said:
As has been discussed, and subsequent to my first post, this appears to be city property. That said, they can not prohibit carry OC or CC, but you might have to bump heads to help them understand that. "Mountainpass" has done some preliminary research. It would behoove the OP to look that up too.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,575 Posts

Is the event put on by the city/county/state or put on for the city/county/state?

Or is the event site rented by a private company and put on for that company's benefit, not the county/city/state?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

phantoms said:
Is the event put on by the city/county/state or put on for the city/county/state?

Or is the event site rented by a private company and put on for that company's benefit, not the county/city/state?
I believe the event is a Cumming event, none the less these are permanent signs, not just posted signs for this event.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts

Sounds like the Chamber of Commerce needs to be enlightened.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts

Don't much care what the sign says. They're wrong. Carry on, concealed if it works best for you, and enjoy the fair.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

CountryGun said:
Don't much care what the sign says. They're wrong. Carry on, concealed if it works best for you, and enjoy the fair.
I carried.....I just happened to be concealed that day due to going to the mall of GA afterwards.

I'll be calling them tomorrow to ask for the sign to be removed.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts

psrumors said:
CountryGun said:
I carried.....I just happened to be concealed that day due to going to the mall of GA afterwards.

Well done, Sir! Keep us posted.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,926 Posts

psrumors said:
It sounds like getting them down is already in progress.

Date: November 13, 2010 Publication: Atlanta Journal-Constitution, The (GA) Page Number: B4 Word Count: 421

The Forsyth County Commission will call for a public hearing to change the county ordinance and signs regarding bringing weapons into county parks, on the advice of county attorney Ken Jarrard, who told the commission this week that the change is necessary because a new state law allows guns to be carried in public places where it used to be illegal. The commission has yet to set a date for the hearing.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Adam5 said:
psrumors said:

Date: November 13, 2010 Publication: Atlanta Journal-Constitution, The (GA) Page Number: B4 Word Count: 421

The Forsyth County Commission will call for a public hearing to change the county ordinance and signs regarding bringing weapons into county parks, on the advice of county attorney Ken Jarrard, who told the commission this week that the change is necessary because a new state law allows guns to be carried in public places where it used to be illegal. The commission has yet to set a date for the hearing.
Does the Forsyth County Commission also cover the city of Cumming?

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,926 Posts

psrumors said:
Adam5 said:
psrumors said:

Not technically, but with Cumming being the only incorporated city in Forsyth Co it's rare that one does something without the other doing the same.

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts

since when was the law new? isnt it covered under preemption?

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts

psrumors said:
Separate.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts

I stopped there this morning. I went in and spoke with Mr. Dave Horton. I explained to him that it was against state law to forbid weapons. He stated that they have a family atmosphere there and have several police plus some plain clothes officers in the crowd. He stated that since they lease the fairgrounds to outside interests that the law doesn't pertain to them. I told him I was of the opinion that the fairgrounds are city property that the laws of the state apply. He said, "Well it'll have to be tried in court."

I wasn't there very long. I tried to see the mayor but he was not in his office.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts