Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nhregister.com/general-n...udget-sets-huge-increases-for-gun-permit-fees

Gun owners will see huge increases in permit fees that would raise millions of dollars to help the state combat its two-year, $3.6 billion deficit.

As part of his budget, Malloy is proposing to increase the state portion of the pistol permit fee from $70 to $300. He also is proposing the cost of the initial 5-year pistol permit fee from $140 to $370.

The increase in fees for gun owners will bring in another $9 million to the state annually, according to the governor’s budget estimates.

Additionally, Malloy is proposing to increase background check fees from its current $50 to $75.

·
Registered
385 Posts
140 for a permit is ridiculous. 370 is highway robbery. I'm sure a lot of people in CT. struggle to pay their bills on time. Now residents will have to decide whether to pay a bill or be able to protect themselves. So much for shall not be infringed. Sure sounds like the definition of infringement. One more reason to not move to CT.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
$1 for a permit is ridiculous.

·
Registered
385 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Governor Dannel Patrick Malloy is showing his tyrant streak in Technicolor with this proposal. This is his way of saying, "Let them eat cake!"

Why balance the budget on the backs of citizens who merely want to exercise their Constitutional Right to protect themselves and their children?

If this passes, I predict the SCOTUS will overturn it. The refunds should come out of Malloy's pocket and anyone in the Legislature that votes for it.

·
69,784 Posts
This is not enough! If there is a 3.6 billion deficit, and 300,000 license holders, simply charging $12,000 per license would solve the deficit! The Governor needs to make the tough decisions!

A $230 increase over 300,000 license holders raises only $69,000,000, which divided out over five years, raises less than 1.4 million a year 14 million a year . . .

Come to think of it, $12,000 is not enough, because the deficit is annual, and licenses are only every 5 years, so . . . $60,000 needs to be the cost of the license. There. Problem solved.

·
69,784 Posts
Is the Governor also proposing to quadruple the cost of a driver's license?

Huh?

Is he?

Well?

I mean, driving is a privilege, not a right, uh, right? That's what they keep telling us.

There are a whole lot more drivers than firearms carriers. Solve that deficit, Governor. Try harder.

But do not cut spending. Oh, no. Not one penny less than last year for the state budget.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,140 Posts
This is not enough! If there is a 3.6 billion deficit, and 300,000 license holders, simply charging $12,000 per license would solve the deficit! The Governor needs to make the tough decisions!

A $230 increase over 300,000 license holders raises only $69,000,000, which divided out over five years, raises less than 1.4 million a year . . .

Come to think of it, $12,000 is not enough, because the deficit is annual, and licenses are only every 5 years, so . . . $60,000 needs to be the cost of the license. There. Problem solved.
My math says 230 times 300 thousand equals 69 million. We agree on that.
Then divide that by 5 and it comes out to 13.8 million.

So someones calculator needs adjusting. Or mine is too old and I need a new one so I have one like yours that does the new core math.

Nemo

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
This just reaffirms that gun control is about control and not safety.

Particularly about controlling minorities and the poor.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
Well, I have my Connecticut Concealed Pistol Permit for another four years... But I won't continue it for that!

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Malloy is asking the Legislature to pass a bill on it.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Charging court costs of a couple grand for getting arrested would be a better tax.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Charging court costs of a couple grand for getting arrested would be a better tax.
No they can't do that as it would mostly effect minorities and we can't have that. No we need to stick it to the law-abiders!

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
No they can't do that as it would mostly effect minorities and we can't have that. No we need to stick it to the law-abiders!
Bingo. This would create an undo hardship for the poor by denying basic constitutional rights. As such, it is clearly discriminatory. Now we just wait for the ACLU to step in and....

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Not sure if it happened, but I saw where Massachusetts was wooing General Electric away from Connecticut. :lol:

More of that needs to happen. Maybe that will incentivise everyone to leave, if no business is left in that communist state.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Not sure if it happened, but I saw where Massachusetts was wooing General Electric away from Connecticut. :lol:

More of that needs to happen. Maybe that will incentivise everyone to leave, if no business is left in that communist state.
I wouldn't say that MA is as pure as the driven snow either!

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
True, but the enemy of my enemy... nah, Massachusetts is too crummy to be anyone's friend. :lol:

I wouldn't say that MA is as pure as the driven snow either!

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
True, but the enemy of my enemy... nah, Massachusetts is too crummy to be anyone's friend. :lol:
Unfortunately I would have to agree with you even though I was born and raised there and the bulk of my family still calls it home.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,140 Posts
Unfortunately I would have to agree with you even though I was born and raised there and the bulk of my family still calls it home.
OK ok, that explains much. You a yankee.

Nemo :lol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts