CSU Allows Permit Holders To Carry On Campus

Discussion in 'In the News' started by GeorgiaGlocker, May 20, 2007.

1. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

CSU policy allows permit holders to carry guns on campus; opinions mixed
    (Yes, I know it's a CCW issue but Utah is NOT the only place college students can carry. That's news Write 'em and tell them your thoughts)

http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=69940
    CSU policy allows permit holders to carry guns on campus; opinions mixed
    written by: Sara Reed, Fort Collins Coloradoan, posted by: Dan Boniface , Web Producer

created: 5/13/2007 6:39:08 AM
    Last updated: 5/13/2007 6:47:49 AM

FORT COLLINS - Police at the University of Northern Colorado and the University of Colorado say allowing concealed weapons on campus is more trouble than its worth, but Colorado State University is sticking to its policy that allows permit-holders to carry their guns.

CSU doesn't allow guns in its dormitories, instead forcing students to store their weapons at the police department, but three years ago reaffirmed its concealed-carry policy. The university will review the policy because of the Virginia Tech shootings, though there's no timeline for the review.

CSU's police chief deferred comment to a CSU spokesman, who said the university doesn't have an official opinion about whether allowing or banning concealed weapons improves campus safety. CSU police recommended in 2004 that the school allow permit holders to carry guns.

"There was a lack of concrete information on whether it was safer to allow or not allow (concealed weapons) on campus," university spokesman Brad Bohlander said.

The number of concealed-carry permits issued in Larimer County exploded after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. In 2002, the Larimer County Sheriff's Office issued 1,072 concealed weapons permits, which nearly doubled the county's permits to 2,264.

Since then, the number of permits has grown to 3,078. Permits are good for five years.

It is unknown how many of those permit-holders are college students.

Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden denied a request for a list of concealed-weapon permit holders in the county. Under state law, as the custodian of those records, it's up to Alderden to decide whether to release them.

Colorado law allows permit holders to carry their weapons on campus but also allows the governing board of each school to prohibit them, steps UNC and CU have taken.

There are several reasons concealed weapons on campus aren't a good idea, said CU police Cmdr. Brad Wiesley, the agency's spokesman.

One of the bigger concerns is that if a civilian with a gun tries to intervene during an on-campus shooting, officers would have a hard time making a distinction between the attacker and the civilian, Wiesley said.

"How do officers make the consideration of who is the good guy and who is the bad guy?" Wiesley said.

Initial descriptions are not always accurate, he said, putting the officer in the position of sorting out who's who.

Civilians don't have the training that police do to react to something like a school shooting, Wiesley said.

UNC police Chief Wendy Rich-Goldschmidt said weapons aren't appropriate on campus, but not just because of training or possible complications.

They can also disrupt the academic environment, Rich-Goldschmidt said.

"Weapons tend to create some sort of alarm," she said.

However, count Alderden as an advocate for allowing guns on campus. He also said gun carriers should intervene when they can.

When an area such as a public school or a college campus goes gun-free, there's nothing to deter a would-be shooter because they know there isn't anyone with a concealed weapon in that place, Alderden said.

A faculty member or student with a concealed weapon could have helped the Virginia Tech shooting, which killed 33 people, including the gunman, end differently, Alderden said. He cited the Oct. 1, 1997, shooting at Pearl High School in Pearl, Miss., as an example.

On that day, 16-year-old Luke Woodham opened fire with a rifle at the school, killing two girls and wounding seven others before he was confronted by Vice Principal Joel Myrick, who had retrieved his .45-caliber handgun from his car. Myrick chased Woodham down and held him until police arrived.

Students are mixed in their reaction to guns on campus but don't seem to favor it.

"If someone is disturbed enough to do it, they're going to do it," CSU senior Sean Williams said. "That (saying concealed weapons will deter violence) is applying logic to an illogical situation."

CSU senior Crystal Korry said she is supportive of CSU's policy, though it isn't a matter of safety for her. She said guns don't make "a whole lot of difference" in that respect.

For Korry, it's a matter of Second Amendment rights. People shouldn't be alarmed about legal concealed-weapons carriers on campus because of the very rigorous process needed to get the permit, Korry said.

"It's not like they hand out those permits at grocery stores," she said.

CSU sophomore Jessica Rota doesn't agree that a Virginia Tech-type situation at CSU would end more quickly by allowing concealed weapons than not allowing them. It could actually make it worse, she said, because although someone with a permit might be proficient with a gun, they might not know how to respond in that type of situation.

"They think they know what they're doing, but they don't," she said.

General Comments
    kusa@9news.com

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Some of those people...the almighty police and their expert training... let's invite some GSU police to a shooting match, then we can talk.

3. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

You want Big Red, the rookies, the dumb ones, or the fat ones?

Sgt. Simmons is the only one over there I have any respect for.

4. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

uhhh, before you pick on a college PD read the article again... seems the CSU PD is SUPPORTING carry... I think we should all send them a letter telling them how much we appreciate all they do for 2nd amendment rights.

also not all college PD's are laughable. I have much respect for UGA's officers and know several of them. They function as a regular PD from all I can see. I am sure there are officers that are good shots and officers that are minimal. They do have to qualify yearly to stay POST certified.

Remember we don't want to make this board seem anti-LEO... you get more flies with honey than vinegar

sorry if I seem to be soapboxing.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I'm referring to the couple of people in the article such as:

Or:

I'm not talking about the school cops that are supporting it...

6. gsusnake

I get your point, and I'm not arguing it.

My point (and I believe ptsmith's) is that a college PD is not necessarily any better than a well-trained civilian.

7. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Having just graduated from Rice University's CPA (and the University itself - Woo!), I must admit that they seem very well prepared. While qualifications are on the standard twice-a-year schedule that most PDs use, the cops there have been trained on situations ranging from bombs to suicides to shooters and all this well before VT.

As I'm sure we all know, the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'. And do I believe that to be the case here as well, but I think is is important to know that at least some of the college police have thought about and trained for active shooter scenarios. Hopefully, that training will never be tested.

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Is he the one who looks like a real cop? (skinny professional looking guy?)

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

lol. I am so stealing that line.

10. gsusnake

No, I don't recall his name.

Simmons is the older black dude with the 'stache.

Cpl. Wynn of SPD got his start with UP, I like him too.

11. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

How do cops tell the difference between an armed citizen and a criminal off campus? What is different about a college campus that makes this task more difficult? :roll:

12. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

That is an easy one, isn't it? AAAAHHHH :puke:

13. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Well the way I see it is that's a minor problem for them as opposed to me laying on the ground dead.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Of course its not! :D Here, click on link and get a more complete list. http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... lege+carry

This list is still in progress, so if you want to add to it . . . :wink: