Criminals Stealing Guns From Police

Discussion in 'In the News' started by cdtracing, Nov 1, 2007.

1. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/palmbeach/sfl-flpguns1030pnoct30,0,4299219.story

Criminals stealing guns from police in Palm Beach County
    By Leon Fooksman | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    October 30, 2007

Criminals are going after cops — for their guns.

In the past year, gang members, thieves and drug dealers in Palm Beach County have broken into at least six police cars and stolen handguns and shotguns, officials say.

"This shows how brazen they are," Sheriff Ric Bradshaw said.

Realizing they, too, can be victims, the Sheriff's Office and other agencies are fighting back by adding burglar alarms to marked and unmarked cruisers, installing extra gun locks in cars and enforcing rules that bar off-duty storage of handguns, shotguns and assault rifles in cars.

I don't know if this one should go in the "We're the only one's professional enough" or the Just Daymn catagory.

Chris

2. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Do LEO typically leave handguns in their cars? I can understand shotguns...

Oh, or were they in a "Gun Free Zone"?

3. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

It's an office for 8+hrs a day, and a 2nd home, I'd guess.
    You'd keep things that you Might need pretty close, right?

4. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

The guy who shot the cop in the Dunkin' Donuts in Philly stole the cop's gun on his way out. :(

5. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

I heard about that today on the radio. That makes three in four days. WTF is going on up there.
    here is the link http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3801273

6. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Sometimes, being a LEO is dangerous and sometimes it's really damn dangerous!

What a shame. Guy stops in for his regular coffee and will probably never wake up...

:(

7. Sharky

Sharky New Member

More locks on equipment they may need in seconds to save their life is rediculous. I am not sure about storing handguns in a cruiser. Shouldnt they be wearing their sidearm and BUG?

The whole assault weapons in the trunk.....hmmmmmm maybe better locks on the trunk?

Hopefully some LEO chime in here. Or past LEO's......

8. Axeman

Axeman New Member

9. GACop

GACop Member

We've been very fortunate to never have someone steal from our patrol vehicles. However, if they did they'd have easy access to shotguns, patrol rifles, and less lethal weapon systems.

Unfortunately, as already pointed out by someone (too lazy to go back and read), putting more locks on them will only delay our access to them in life or death situations.

This is why we need more guns in the hands of good people. It might act as a deterrent to crime.

10. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Agreed! Hopefully my post was showing that....

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Aaah! :shock: My heart!!!

:lol:

12. Axeman

Axeman New Member

=D> :righton: :mrgreen: If only this feeling was contagious to all LEOs.

:wink:

13. GACop

GACop Member

I can't speak for places like NJ, CA, or NY....

but here in Georgia, my feelings are more common than you probably think or realize.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Not me (edit - not me means not more than I realize). I knew only one or two guys (not including Chiefs, I am talking about real cops) that would have disagreed with you.

15. Sharky

Sharky New Member

sounds like the both of you have worked in very different cirles......departments...

16. Malum Prohibitum

No. I was agreeing with him. I only knew one or two who would have disagreed.

17. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Oops I misread that my mistake

18. tace

tace New Member

This article is from Florida were everything is a whole another level of :censored: up.

It's like take out FL and CA and the decency level of this country goes up several notches.

19. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Fixed it for you. :righton:

20. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I know of a local dept that had one of its own members design a trunk mounted locking box system so the SWAT/SRT members could carry their rifles with them in their patrol cars. Before that, they were not allowed to keep them with them. The rifles were kept at the PD and brought to the incident site with the armored personnel carrier.