Criminal Arrested in NY after 2 Shot

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Now they are condemning this criminal's home.

2. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Not because he shot them, but because he didn't register the gun he shot them with which was inherited.:shakehead:

3. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

How dare the homeowner used an "unauthorized" firearm in defending himself. I hate when people do that. :popcorn:

mountainman444 likes this.
  4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

5. diamondback

diamondback Well-Known Member

I have heard from a few people registration is illegal yet in knkow there are a few states taht you in effect register your firearms

6. moe mensale

NY's SAFE Act took care of that minor problem.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

You understood what Diamondback was saying, Moe?
    I didn't. Please explain what he said, what the "minor problem" was, and how the SAFE Act took care of that?

NY State has had a statewide permit system since 1911, called the "Sullivan law" and named after an infamous Tammany Hall politician. As far as I know, since 1911 it has been mandatory to have a permit just to possess or own a handgun in New York, even if you don't carry it outside of your house.

The SAFE act came about 100 years later, and it didn't change those basic fundamentals of New York State's handgun law.

8. gunsmoker

P.S. In NY state outside of NYC, it's easy to get a "premises" permit to keep a gun in your home. Fast approval, short and simple application process. It's not like the "permit to carry concealed out in public" license, which takes nearly a year and involves numerous character references, phone interviews, and in recent years a requirement that you have a good enough reason for wanting the carry license.

When I lived in NY state, I had an unrestricted carry permit for personal protection. But I knew other people who only had the premises permit to keep their gun at home or at their place of business.

9. moe mensale

A permit system, yes. Did they have a registration system also? I'm not clear on that.

Didn't the SAFE Act require owners with existing permits to reapply and that new information was going into a state-wide database? That's what I got from it and what caused the uproar by the gun owners.

10. gunsmoker

The N.Y. State Police, at their headquarters in Albany, have always maintained a copy of every pistol permit holder's license, and they get updated every time a new gun is registered (handguns are specifically described on your carry license, and when you sell or trade one away it gets struck-through on a typewriter, and the new owner of that handgun gets the gun added to his permit. Again, on a word processor or typewriter--Ink on Paper.)

If Gov. Cuomo's "SAFE Act" changed anything about this process and made it all-digital, it matters not one bit. The mandatory 5-year renewal period for carry permits that had formerly been "lifetime--good until revoked" is not relevant in this case either.

Ronald Stolarczyk never had a pistol permit at all. His late father had one, and some guns, and Ronald just kept Dad's gun handy for defense after Dad died. That's generally reasonable behavior and should be lawful, and IS lawful in many other states, but not in NY State. And that's not a new law. Been on the books for 118 years now.

https://www.wktv.com/content/news/D...ooting-challenges-prosecutors--510683691.html

11. gunsmoker

Notice in the above article that another burglar, who appears to be part of the conspiracy and assisted in the crime that the two other burglars shot dead, is NOT BEING PROSECUTED for the burglary, because that would ruin her value to the State as a critical witness in the case against the homeowner who shot the intruders with an unregistered gun!

(How's that for back-asswards thinking. Don't prosecutors have any sense of morality and priorities? Putting burglars in prison is more important than putting people who keep lawfully-obtained, but unlawfully-kept, handguns in their homes.)

12. moe mensale

Is that a trick question? :lol:

Edited to add a smilie so we all know it was supposed to be a humorous question with no need of a major retort.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  13. gunsmoker

Just because the reason the cops found out about your illegal possession of your gun was due to having to use it, legally, in plainly-justified self-defense, DOESN'T MEAN you get a free pass on the crime of unlawfully having the gun in the first place. It just means you only get charged with the gun crime, not the aggravated assault / attempted murder/ homicide type crimes.

Those of us in our 50s or older should recall the famous case of Bernie Goetz, a NYC resident who in 1984 was the victim of four (black) muggers on a NYC subway, and he shot them with a .38 revolver that he had unlawfully purchased in Florida some years previously.
    He was acquitted of all the crimes related to hurting the young men, but he was CONVICTED of unlawfully owning and carrying that unregistered gun.

(He'd previously applied for a handgun carry permit in NYC, but was denied. He didn't have a "good enough reason" in the judgment of the NYC authorities.)

https://allthatsinteresting.com/bernhard-goetz

14. moe mensale

Edited my prior post because....... #-o

15. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Until I got to the #-omy answer was no. That made it #-o hail no.

Nemo

16. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

And the jury that convicted Goetz or anyone else in that situation are evil scumbags. Human life is worthy of protection even if the tyrants in government think we need to grovel, beg, and jump through almost impossible hoops in order to be able to do so.

17. Phil1979

Maybe SCOTUS will slap down NY and NYC especially.

18. Phil1979

And NJ and Commifornicationia.