Crime & Punishment

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by JeF4y, Jan 21, 2011.

1. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

After reading a few threads this morning regarding punishment of criminals, and repeat offenders, etc, I thought back to the story of Michael Fay. (for anybody younger than, say, 30, just wiki him).

The world was generally outraged when he was given a jail stint and was CANED. They called it "inhumane", cruel, etc.

But I have to think that since he took a beating at the hands of another government he's been out of the news and I'd guess a "model citizen".

While it would never fly in the US, I really think that it would make a hell of a lot bigger impression on people than simply locking them up for a few weeks, or sending them home with an ankle bracelet.

Thoughts? (and no need to go on the "blah blah liberals would never stand for blah blah" because, well, I sure would...)

2. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

*Like*

As I said in another thread, until punishments are harsher, there isn't much that currently deters violent criminal types. If and when punishments are harsher, we might see more people thinking twice before commiting violent crimes towards others.

3. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

I think the title of your post says it all. "Punishment" - it needs to be harsh.

From what I understand, going to jail isn't pleasant, but some thugs just don't care. If they don't care they're not deterred...

What sort of things would be Cane-able offenses? Traffic violations? Minor drug charges? Simple assault? Vandalism?

4. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

^^Personally, I'd start with offenses that involve being violent in some way towards another person (or severe threats of violence, like threatening to hurt/kill while armed with a gun/knife/deadly weapon). Decreasing those crimes significantly would have a huge effect on society as a whole.

5. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

jails and prisons arent real punishment in my opinion. some of them are even border line resorts......

6. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

Exactly.. Especially since many of the inhabitants come from housing that is far worse than the conditions they get in prison.

There was a special on Bernie Madoff the other day that I watched and that prison is more of a retirement community for non-violent offenders. It is just crazy how posh it is.

So what would deserve a caning? Hell, I don't know.. If it's something that warrants jail time, a good solid ass-whooping (in PUBLIC) would probably be in order.

7. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

yep. i have known 2 people who got out of prison, and couldnt deal with being out. couldnt get a job and no-one would give them a chance. so what did they do? they committed a crime for the purpose of being put back in prison, because they couldnt deal with being out, said it was easier in prison.