Crazy News .... or Not (?)

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Schweisshund, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

Is anyone else paying attention to these recent events? Usually, when I am standing at a checkout counter, I may read something like this in the National Enquirer ....

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... ambassador

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS1669 ... RN20100915

http://news.discovery.com/space/ufos-sp ... claim.html

and last but not least :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39427032

all within a week .....

2. Hack Causality

Hack Causality New Member

3. mpc

mpc New Member

That's scientific doublespeak for: Life on this planet, unequivocally and without a shadow of a doubt, exists. It's guaranteed. There's no other scientific theory we have more faith in. An absolute certainty. Probably.

4. dunkel

dunkel New Member

That is an exceedingly interesting article. Gonna take me a while to read through it. Thanks for posting it.

5. RedLeg17

RedLeg17 Active Member

A lot of the time, I think that statement is also pretty true for here.

6. Schweisshund

http://www.datelinezero.com/?p=4274

7. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

This is why Glocks are a poor choice, the aliens will melt your plastic guns with their laser beams. :foilhat:

8. broomhandle

broomhandle New Member

Hi Schweisshund,

Thanks for the posts! they are good reading!
    Hope to see you at another Atlanta show some time!

I'm picking up another Nagant tomorrow!

Best,
    broomhandle

9. groats

groats New Member

Scientists tell us that among the "billions upon billions" of stars, there are sure to be some planets with intelligent life, yet as far as we know, no extraterrestrials have visited us.

I would suspect that if a civilization is advanced enough to be able to visit, they would also have some kind of "civilization detector" device, to tell when, where and if a planet is worth visiting.

If so, then so far they've only seen a couple of brief flickers on the "Earth" readout, flickers which faded away before they could pack their overnight bags.

Probably by now there's a intergalactic 'sticky note' stuck to the chart over our insignificant sun, saying "Move along - nothing to see here".

10. Schweisshund

hey there broomhandle :D

I know, its interesting stuff. I wish my former physics professor from Reinhardt was still around - I would love to discuss all this with him. He helped design the F 22.

I will be picking up a Mosin Nagant within the next few weeks. I really like my RIA .45 :D

11. oxfat

oxfat Member

Schweisshund, I think the answer lies in your links; wired, reuters, discovery, and msnbc. Where's the news organizations?

12. jsmn4vu

jsmn4vu New Member

FTFY

I thought his paper had some questionable assumptions and faulty logic, but that should be considered somewhat of a "drive-by" comment, as I don't have much appetite for debating the issues.

13. Schweisshund

14. Schweisshund

I am still on the fence as far as aliens and UFO's. I think I would have to be convinced they are real by actually seeing a bazillion UFO's in the sky and aliens walking around.

Then I would need to change my pants and load my shotgun :lol:

15. suttree

suttree New Member

I just went to Kroger to get some tin foil but they said they just had a run on it and they are all sold out.

16. groats

groats New Member

Real tin foil was in common use up until right after WWII, then it disappeared from store shelves.

What else happened right after WWII?
    In 1947, aliens supposedly crashed near Roswell, NM.
    Right after that, tin foil was replaced by the inferior aluminum foil we all buy today.

A coincidence? I think not.
    No doubt the gov't was involved in eliminating tin foil, because it was too effective at blocking alien mind-control waves.

17. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

With the uncomprehendable vastness of space, it seems highly unlikely that life is limited to earth....

18. suttree

suttree New Member

:lol:

19. Hack Causality

Hack Causality New Member

Feel free to present your reasoning. Being a long-time Star Trek fan, the idea of there being intelligent life out there is very attractive to me, but the simple fact that we are here instead of an ancient race of aliens, compared with the sheer number of stars and amount of available time, present a very strong argument in favor of the existence of a barrier of low-probability between basic organic matter and a colonizing civilization. Whether it's that intelligent life is very unlikely, that the development of interstellar travel before extinction is very unlikely, or that a sufficiently advanced species deciding to colonize space is very unlikely, the barrier is there.