Crazy Gun Confiscation case in Florida

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by tmoore912, Mar 8, 2020.

1. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

"Crazy" is an understatement. I'm surprised the ex-wife wasn't thrown in jail. Talk about a drama queen. I actually wonder what her mental state is.

After reading the article this is the first thing that came to mind.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Handcuffed and taken overnight for a psychiatric examination, after an ex parte hearing he did not even know happened . . . and he was, as the cop said, "very calm," "polite and cooperative, neither raising his voice nor behaving erratically, and seemed to be in control of his faculties."

I can't say I would be the same.

Great foresight by this guy in knowing that was not the place to handle this matter.

Very disturbing article.

Savannah Dan likes this.
  4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Apparently, there is no downside to the wife's conduct in this case. I see nothing about the Sheriff's office going after her for filing a false report or perjury.

There is not much disincentive to prevent these things - "Hey, it was worth a shot," she thinks.

There ought to be some risk to the person bringing the false complaint and to that lazy, incompetent female detective who was negligent in moving forward after failing to do even a little investigation.

gunsmoker likes this.
  5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

A few generations ago, criminal defendants were not even allowed to testify in their own cases. The temptation to lie was considered overpowering and thought they could never make credible witnesses.

So since that rule has been repealed, many criminal defendants do testify --and they often lie their asses off without any consequences! Many witnesses from among their friends and family come to court and blatantly perjure themselves to try to get their buddy off, and they never face a prosecution over that.

When it comes to civil cases some of them are just as bad I've heard more than one lawyer say that in family law court, cases are decided by the "preponderance of the perjury" stsndard.