1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I just picked up 10 traps, supplies, and sent off for my trappers license. They're hammering our fawns and turkeys where I hunt and not responding to calls. Time to thin out the pack.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Take it easy on those poor suckers. They keep other pests under control.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've ran across deer before fairly up close in parks on wooded trails. If coyotes are getting more abundant, it's only a matter of time before people come within a few feet of one, or several.

Yet, young women continue jog on deep wooded trails alone and unarmed. Don't they at least have dads to tell them that's stupid?

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Take it easy on those poor suckers. They keep other pests under control.
That's the job of foxes and bobcats, which are native here. Also which are killed off by coyotes. Coyotes also impact birds of prey by eating the rodent population. When coyotes are present in my dad's neighborhood, rabbit populations disappear and the red tail hawks don't nest there. Years the coyotes aren't around, the Hawks nest and raise their young, and there's often a red fix pair and their kits as well. Coyotes are invasive and reproduce way too fast, and eat anything and everything they can including dogs and cats, and in rare cases humans.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I've ran across deer before fairly up close in parks on wooded trails. If coyotes are getting more abundant, it's only a matter of time before people come within a few feet of one, or several.

Yet, young women continue jog on deep wooded trails alone and unarmed. Don't they at least have dads to tell them that's stupid?
There was a big one in my dad's neighborhood near sprayberry high school that was absolutely fearless and regularly seen in broad daylight strolling through the neighborhood for a while. There were a lot of missing pet flyers for those couple of years as well.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps the "missing pet" angle could get anti's on board with firearm carry? If I shoot a coyote, I've potentially saved their pet. Could I feel the love for that? :)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Perhaps the "missing pet" angle could get anti's on board with firearm carry? If I shoot a coyote, I've potentially saved their pet. Could I feel the love for that? :)
They would probably rather their pet be ravaged before their eyes than you use an "evil" firearm to protect it from coyotes.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,414 Posts
So, just out of curiosity, what caliber is recommended for coyotes? Is 5.56 enough or bigger?

·
Custom User Title
1,663 Posts
So, just out of curiosity, what caliber is recommended for coyotes? Is 5.56 enough or bigger?
Most folks I know use a .17 HMR, so I would assume 5.56 is plenty big enough.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
.17 HMR/22 mag or bigger for hunting, or 20 ga or larger with #2 shot. .22 lr pistol is all you need for dispatching one with its leg in a trap, suppressed if you're in residential areas. Some choke sticks are designed with a neck breaking device as well so you don't even need a bullet.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Thinning out the fawn population wouldn't be a bad thing.
Not where I hunt in polk. Deer numbers are down in the county, and way down on our property. Used to see every doe with 2 fawns, now we're lucky to see 2-4 fawns all season. Turkey numbers are down as well. We saw 6 coyotes last year, killed 3, And there are plenty more. It takes a lot more than 2-3 30 lb animals to clear out a gut pile in a few hours. Had 2 deer carcasses in the pile before dark, by the time we drove by again in the morning before sunrise there was nothing but scattered ribs and hair. You can hear them howl at night too. Aiming to remove 6-10 before fawning season this year.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Coyotes have been spotted more than once in the cul-de-sac my home is on and have been reported as harassing people walking their dogs. Unfortunately, it's not a place legal to shoot, and would only be remotely safe with something like low-brass shot, and then only from certain angles. Probably not horribly safe to trap, either, due to the large number of children who might be liable to either mess with the traps, or even get stuck in them. Seriously, some of these kids are beyond moronic, based on the way they act when walking in the street and at the playground where I take my son, and would likely get themselves or another kid trapped even in a Hav-A-Hart, or do something even dumber like go mess with a trapped animal and wind up getting bitten.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,938 Posts

It's not just a rural problem. A couple have been seen in Piedmont Park.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,532 Posts
.22 wmr

I have a 22 magnum rifle for suburban coyote and raccoon hunting.
I need to actually USE it for that purpose.

P.S. Yes, even with the new State program to encourage killing yotes, you still must follow laws on trespassing, hunting without a license, or shooting in a way that's illegal per city or county ordinance.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
From an email from DNR:
HELPING CULL COYOTES COULD HELP WIN YOU A LIFETIME LICENSE

To encourage the taking of coyotes from March to August, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources’ Wildlife Resources Division introduces the Georgia Coyote Challenge.**

Each coyote killed, up to five (5) a month per hunter/trapper, will earn an entry into a monthly drawing for a lifetime license (or equal credit for purchase of hunting/fishing licenses).*

MORE INFORMATION

Georgia Coyote Challenge News Release: Georgia Coyote Challenge Georgia Hunting Regulations

You are receiving this message as a subscriber to NEWS RELEASES, LAND OWNERS or HUNTING UPDATES. Click on Manage Subscriptions below to change your preferences.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts