Coyote

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by kestak, Oct 19, 2010.

1. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

Yesterday night a Coyote barked at me and did not look scared at all. He was at about 20 yards. Do I need to take out the ground beef, put it on the ground and train my AR on it now?

Thank you

2. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

Ground beef? Don't you have any cats? :shattered:

[​IMG]

Assuming it is really a coyote, and you're in a locale that allows discharging of firearms, I'd say its a job for #4 buckshot.

3. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Cats and chihuahuas make good coyote bait for sure.

Does tuna fish and antifreeze work on yotes?

4. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

I'd drop it the next time I had a chance. If anyone asks tell them the @#[email protected]#$ thing was coming at you. Coyotes in the city limits are PIA. And i seriously doubt anyone wants to see a kid get attacked by one and it does happen.

5. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Wild canine that's not afraid of people? Pow! "Looked rabid to me."

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

AR in .223 is kinda loud, don't you think? For night shooting?

I've got a .22 magnum rifle that would kill the critter for 1/3 the noise.

[​IMG]
    I'll bet a .22 LR would also kill, but maybe not right there on the spot where you could recover the body.

7. jlcnuke

jlcnuke New Member

I was walking my dog about 10 days ago at ~930am when I thought I saw a young deer behind some trees/bushes (seen deer walk through there before) but it turned out it was a coyote and another one following. My dog is an 85lb lab so she's pretty good sized. Both were her size or bigger (shorter of the two would have been around my knees for it's shoulders, taller one's head was probably at or above my waist). First looked almost identical to this picture but a bit thicker:
    [​IMG]
    Second was more gray, a bit shorter but much thicker.

There is a house directly behind where I saw them from where I was and they looked at us but walked away so they got to live. House is now vacant so if I see them again there will be less hesitation to shoot. If they come at us they will definitely get shot with a 9mm. I don't think I'd trust a .22lr to stop either without really lucky or well placed shot.

8. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I've seen a coyote once after dark after walking my now wife, home. That was a few years ago. I also heard one at night, probably 2AM in my backyard. Made the hair on my neck stand up as I was asleep and it woke me up.

There are plenty of them around here, though. Some of my wife's family owns farms locally, and we go out there and hunt them with .223.

I never had the chance to take a shot at one near my home, never had a rifle or shotgun on me, but if I had a safe background, which may be a bit hard to come by, I'd take it down. I live fairly in the country, and I only have a small window that I could shoot without possibly involving other people's home. One way leads to nothing but woods for miles.

If close, buckshot would definitely do the job. If its a little bit of distance, .223 or as said above a .22 Mag would be fine. If you're going to use a .22lr, definitely make sure you get a good shot on it... head or heart. Won't stop it, immediately in the chest or shoulders, but if hopefully you'll make a good shot and hit something that will make it bleed out quickly with a .22lr.

This is all considering that it is legal to discharge a firearm in your local. If not, the SOB was charging you.

9. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

and why weren't you toting? :waiting:

10. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

The best shot with a .22, is not a humane shot, but neither is anti-freeze. It relies on kidney failure and takes weeks.

If I only had a .22, and I didn't care about recovery, I'd take a gut shot. There's much better penetration, and with a perforated bowel, they'll run a couple of miles, before they lay down and die of peritonitis. Horrible, but effective, and there's never any evidence on your property.

11. whitmo

whitmo New Member

I hear them a couple of times a month behind my house. Shooting here is no problem, and I'll use whatever rifle I can get to quickly.

12. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

Unfortunately, conventional wisdom says, where there is one, there is more than that one.

I would have to plan it out, and, the ordinances allowing - would take a shot. Otherwise, it is quite possible things will go missing.

Go over to GON. Lots of info over there.

I have not tried, but have read to confirm a pack in your area, play a siren sound LOUD (MP3, etc.). They will not resist, and call back.

13. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

i hear them most every night from my house, sometimes really close and they DO sound off when a firetruck, ambulance or leo goes by with sirens, even in the daytime.

edit: listening to them right now, maybe 100yds out!