Coweta

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by Malum Prohibitum, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

My information is already posted in the GFL link, but I wanted to write that it took just a few more than sixty days for my license to issue. Technically, I suppose it was late, but when I read about 4-6 month waits in other counties, I count myself lucky.

Has anybody recently received a license back in less than 60 days?

2. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Hmmm...

I don't know if this counts, but I got my license back from Carroll County in 2 days... after changing my address :lol:

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I was just checking to make sure that I had an up to date copy of the database and I wanted to add,

55 days for first issue, 2 years ago in Floyd County
    30 minutes to have my address changed last year (most of that was waiting for a marriage license to be issued to the couple in line ahead of me).

4. Manwell

Manwell New Member

Today is day 59 since applying for my GFL here in Coweta County. Wonder if I should make a phone call and check on the status of my application.

Manwell

5. Malum Prohibitum

Why not? Just a friendly reminder that they need to issue tomorrow.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Be nice, though, the ladies at the probate court are really friendly and helpful, and there is no anti-gun bias over there at all.

You can read, however, the language from 16-11-129(d)

(d) Investigation of applicant; issuance of license. Each law enforcement agency, upon receiving such applications and obtaining such fingerprints, shall promptly conduct a thorough search of its records and records to which it has access and shall notify the judge of the probate court within 50 days, by telephone and in writing, of any findings relating to the applicant which may bear on his eligibility for a license under the terms of this Code section. When no derogatory information is found on the applicant bearing on his eligibility to obtain a license, a report shall not be required. The law enforcement agency shall return the application and the blank license form with the fingerprint thereon directly to the judge of the probate court within such time period. Not later than 60 days after the date of the application the judge of the probate court shall issue the applicant a license to carry any pistol or revolver if no facts establishing ineligibility have been reported and if the judge determines the applicant has met all the qualifications, is of good moral character, and has complied with all the requirements contained in this Code section.

Pertinent provisions underlined.

7. thebugman

thebugman New Member

Might be quicker to move to Gwinnet. :shock:

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Manwell: Yes, call today. I got my license in 55days because I called on the 55th day to see if it going to be ready on time. The clerk said "Your permit is ready now."

9. Manwell

Manwell New Member

Just got off the phone with the folks at the Coweta Probate Court. She said it has been taking 4 to 5 months to get the background information returned from the FBI. She told me they are just now getting information for applications submitted September and October of 2005. This really stinks... I probably have two more month to wait.

Don't guess there is much that I can do. I'm open to sugestions if anyone has one that may help me speed the process up.

The lady I spoke with was very nice and helpful, just as they were when I applied in the first place.

My government working for me,

Manwell

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Manwell, I sent you a PM.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Call GCIC (see 129(c)(2)), as they do not go to the "FBI." Rather, the go to the Georgia Crime Information Center, where they are checked against the FBI records and then a report is made.

The statute appears to say that the judge should issue if no report is given (see underlining above).

http://www.state.ga.us/gbi/gcic.html

12. Malum Prohibitum

Scratch that. It does go to the FBI. See new post in General GFL Questions.

13. thebugman

thebugman New Member

Why would the FBI take 5 months to return a Coweta background check, and Gwinnett takes less than two weeks? Doesn't make sense at all. Did you have ink or digital fingerprints?

14. Manwell

Manwell New Member

I appreciate all the replies and am considering my next action.

My fingerprints were done in ink...

Maybe I'll wait until Monday, and then the 60th day will have passed. Then I will call again and question them; seeing if I can speak or communicate via e-mail with Judge Cranford to ask why it is taking longer than the statute allows to process my application. I will be totally friendly and pose the question as a concerned citizen. My question for her is that if this part of the statute can be ignored, are there other parts that can also be ignored? I’m sure the answer will be no… you must obey the law. So be it, luckily in this country it’s a two-way street and the government must also obey the law.

I’m not sure at this point if any legal action is appropriate, I don’t have the time and money to “fight City Hall†that’s for sure! I’m heading out of the country for a 10-day business trip on Tuesday, so I’ll stir the pot a bit on Monday and see what shakes out.

Manwell

15. Manwell

Manwell New Member

I decided to author a letter directly to the probate court judge concerning my GFL. It is as follows:

Judge Mary T. Cranford
    Coweta County Probate Court
    22 East Broad Street
    Newnan, GA 30263

Subject: Georgia Firearms License Application

Judge Cranford,

On December 13, 2005 I applied for my Georgia Firearms License (GFL) at the Coweta County Probate Court. Your staff that assisted me through the process was all very friendly and helpful throughout the application process. I was honestly quite impressed with their professionalism.

I made a follow-up phone call to your office to check on the status of my application on February 10, 2006. I was informed that not only was my application not approved yet, but that it could possibly be an additional two months before I could expect to receive the applied for GFL. I was alarmed with this information, as the Georgia Code clearly states in 16-11-129 that not later than 60 days after the date of application the judge will issue the applicant a license as referenced below in the Code:

16-11-129.

(d) Investigation of applicant; issuance of license. Each law enforcement agency, upon receiving such applications and obtaining such fingerprints, shall promptly conduct a thorough search of its records and records to which it has access and shall notify the judge of the probate court within 50 days, by telephone and in writing, of any findings relating to the applicant which may bear on his eligibility for a license under the terms of this Code section. When no derogatory information is found on the applicant bearing on his eligibility to obtain a license, a report shall not be required. The law enforcement agency shall return the application and the blank license form with the fingerprint thereon directly to the judge of the probate court within such time period. Not later than 60 days after the date of the application the judge of the probate court shall issue the applicant a license to carry any pistol or revolver if no facts establishing ineligibility have been reported and if the judge determines the applicant has met all the qualifications, is of good moral character, and has complied with all the requirements contained in this Code section.

I am certainly not seeking any special treatment and have completed all of the required procedures to obtain a GFL as detailed within the Georgia Code previously referenced. Would you please review my application and issue me a GFL, as I have met all of the qualifications and requirements within the Code.

Thank you in advance for your assistance with this matter.

Respectfully,

I'll send this on Monday and it will be delivered on Tuesday... we'll see.

Manwell

16. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Very nicely worded :wink:

Keep us informed on his response

17. thebugman

thebugman New Member

Very well written. Might want to edit to" Thank you" in advance...

It seems the ink fingerprints have consistantly taken longer. I would issue based on this letter, but unfortunately I haven't run for the office.

18. Manwell

Manwell New Member

thebugman,

Thanks for the catch... I made the change on the post as well.

Wondering if I'll get a reply...

Manwell

19. Malum Prohibitum

If you have not sent it yet, you might consider highlighting by underlining or italics the portions that I highlighted above. The reason is that the judge has probably read the code subsection before and therefore will skip reading it altogether unless you point out what it is you want the judge to read.

20. Manwell

Manwell New Member

Too late for any changes... the letter is gone! I thought about some type of highlighting, but was not sure what to highlight so I thought that none would be best.

I'll follow-up with a phone call when I get back in the country...

Manwell