Man of Myth and Legend
14,795 Posts

·
Registered
4,440 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,795 Posts
Thats when the go to the Weather Service and borrow Hurricane names.

Nemo

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Thats when the go to the Weather Service and borrow Hurricane names.
That will not work as they now name stroms that 50 years ago would have been classified as a bad Thunderstorm so they use all the regular names and some.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
In other words, the lefty nutbags are realizing they're losing their grip on 2022 and have to come up with more scaremongering and bad sounding numbers to stay relevant. When you can create "dashboards" from entirely un-audited numbers, you can manipulate a lot of idiots into being scared of their own shadow.
That will not work as they now name stroms that 50 years ago would have been classified as a bad Thunderstorm so they use all the regular names and some.
I disagree with this, even into the 60s the criteria for a named tropical storm is largely the same as today. It has to be a closed circulation with winds of a certain sustained speed. We've refined the classification a bit, largely in response to Sandy that by prior definitions wasn't a hurricane when it hit the northeast, but I don't think there are any named storms now that previously were "just a bad thunderstorm." Prior to large-scale weather reconnaissance and particularly satellites, storms that came ashore in sparsely populated areas certainly wouldn't register if the populated areas that could properly report conditions were so far out as to just get the bad thunderstorm outer bands. That's why I think there's a strong bias in the "hurricanes are more numerous and more powerful now!" rhetoric we hear from the global warming cult.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
In other words, the lefty nutbags are realizing they're losing their grip on 2022 and have to come up with more scaremongering and bad sounding numbers to stay relevant. When you can create "dashboards" from entirely un-audited numbers, you can manipulate a lot of idiots into being scared of their own shadow.
Exactly. regardless of how bad or not the latest events turn out they will milk it for all it's worth and scare the crap out of the easily frightened.
I disagree with this, even into the 60s the criteria for a named tropical storm is largely the same as today. It has to be a closed circulation with winds of a certain sustained speed. We've refined the classification a bit, largely in response to Sandy that by prior definitions wasn't a hurricane when it hit the northeast, but I don't think there are any named storms now that previously were "just a bad thunderstorm." Prior to large-scale weather reconnaissance and particularly satellites, storms that came ashore in sparsely populated areas certainly wouldn't register if the populated areas that could properly report conditions were so far out as to just get the bad thunderstorm outer bands. That's why I think there's a strong bias in the "hurricanes are more numerous and more powerful now!" rhetoric we hear from the global warming cult.
My comment was mostly off the cuff and not based on any legitimate scientific data so I'll yield to you on this one.

Reactions: Clark and Smilodon

·
Registered
780 Posts
They have been crying wolf for so long nobody pays attention. They have to dramatize everything to maximize their viewers.

·
69,149 Posts
Do not forget the Lamda Variant. And much more coming up. Lots of the Greek Alphabet to go.

Nemo

According to the article, its under investigation but they cannot say now that it is more easily transmissible. There is also no evidence that it is more severe or that vaccines are less effective against it. Our vaccines, I mean. Apparently the Chinese vaccine being used in Peru is less effective against it, or so an early study result indicates.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts

imagine everyone is now fully vaccinated with COVID vaccines – which are excellent but can’t save all lives. Some people who get infected with COVID will still die. All of these people will be fully vaccinated – 100%.
Lots of different comparisons to explain "why".

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
All this reminds me of the copier salesman who when doing a demo the copier messed up bad. The salesman states that he's glad it screwed up so he can show how to fix the brand new copier.
There's always going to be excuses and justifications for screw ups that fit the need of the moment.
I eagerly await the next excuse and justification.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
All this reminds me of the copier salesman who when doing a demo the copier messed up bad. The salesman states that he's glad it screwed up so he can show how to fix the brand new copier.
There's always going to be excuses and justifications for screw ups that fit the need of the moment.
I eagerly await the next excuse and justification.
We didn't allow our salesman to have tools when I worked on copiers way back.

·
69,149 Posts

Lots of different comparisons to explain "why".
It sounds like you read the article, so you already know the headline is misleading. Majority of Very Few Persons Who Died Between February 1 and June 21 of Covid Had at Least One Vaccination Shot: Here is Why. --- That is just way too long of a headline, isn't it?

And that headline probably would not lead well meaning folks like OWM to conclude that somebody has "screwed up."

·
69,149 Posts
In the U.K., Public Health England released a report that found 26 out of 73 deaths caused by the delta variant occurred in fully vaccinated people from June 8 to June 14. Most of the deaths occurred in unvaccinated individuals

·
69,149 Posts
Same link, for the US, 750 persons have died with covid infections after being fully vaccinated. Note that many of them were asymptomatic (that is, they discovered the covid infection through testing, not symptoms).

Almost 4000 hospitalized, with 1000 of those asymptomatic (hospitalized for other reasons).

·
69,149 Posts

·
69,149 Posts
Nearly all COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. now are in people who weren’t vaccinated, a staggering demonstration of how effective the shots have been and an indication that deaths per day — now down to under 300 — could be practically zero if everyone eligible got the vaccine.

. . .

And only about 150 of the more than 18,000 COVID-19 deaths in May were in fully vaccinated people.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
It sounds like you read the article, so you already know the headline is misleading. Majority of Very Few Persons Who Died Between February 1 and June 21 of Covid Had at Least One Vaccination Shot: Here is Why. --- That is just way too long of a headline, isn't it?

And that headline probably would not lead well meaning folks like OWM to conclude that somebody has "screwed up."
Of course. I don't post articles I don't read.

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
121 - 140 of 157 Posts