Courage and Attitide

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It is better to be armed, but sometimes just being willing to fight is enough . . .

WARNER ROBINS - Cres Dorough was sound asleep when the screams of his 21-year-old daughter propelled him out of bed and into the living room where he tackled an armed intruder.

The two men wrestled in the living room of the one-level Old Perry Road home just after midnight Saturday. Dorough said he knew the man was armed with a pistol because he saw it right before he tackled him.

But all the 41-year-old could think about was protecting his family. A second man, armed with a shotgun, was also in the home.

"I really didn't have time to be scared or angry," Dorough said Monday. "I was just reacting. My first thought was to make sure everyone was safe."

An 8-year-old daughter was just a few feet away from the scuffle on the couch where she'd fallen asleep watching TV. Her mother ran into the room and grabbed the child, pulling her to safety.

The rest of the six-member household was waking up and people were streaming into the room. The man Dorough was wrestling with broke free and the second intruder, the one with the shotgun, joined his companion in fleeing the house.

Dorough suffered some bumps and bruises in the struggle with the intruder, but no one was seriously injured.

"I guess they just decided to bail," said Dorough, who's employed at an irrigation supply company in Bonaire. "They kept saying, 'Where's your money? Where's the money?' . . . We're just working folks. There wasn't any money to give them."

Sheriff's deputies arrested three men shortly after the home invasion. The third suspect was believed to have been driving the getaway car, which he ran into a ditch sometime during the ill-fated venture.

Todd Jann Lowrey, 26, and William Robert Brow, 25, both of Warner Robins, and Shawn Michael McDowell, 22, of Bonaire, were being held without bond in the Houston County jail, Sheriff's Cpl. James Williams said Monday.

Lowrey and Brow were charged with criminal attempt to commit armed robbery, burglary, aggravated assault and possession of a firearm in the commission of a crime, Williams said.

P.S. Who lets their 8 year old fall asleep on the couch after midnight watching tv? Oh, well, not really the point of the posting.

This isn't as good as the woman who took the gun from her would be rapist and beat him unconscious with it, but it is still a good outcome for the family.

2. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

The joy of being in the news is that the minutae of your family dynamics are publicized. But, to your question, the article doesn't really say when she fell asleep. "After midnight" is when the scuffle occurred. She could have fallen asleep at 9 and been allowed to spend the night on the couch. It could be that there aren't enough beds or bedrooms to accommodate all 6 of the household members, and that the 8-year old always sleeps on the couch. And, note that the girl was sleeping while the TV was on. At least she wasn't awake, being made more ignorant by the second....

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Either of your scenarios are still pretty pitiful . . . :(

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Those were the two least objectionable I could come up with. There are much worse possibilities.

5. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Glad their okay, Stories like these are why my fiance is glad I have my weapon close by when sitting on the couch late at night!

Had a friend come over and ask why I had it next to the couch? I was like what the hell good is it in the room under the bed if I am in here! I'm glad a person like her isnt carrying!