Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Couple sues COs in Louisville who were directing traffic...

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Malum Prohibitum 
#1 ·
You really gotta read the comments. Some of my KY ex-neighbors are really wound too tightly. Or, maybe not tightly enough...

COs in Louisville are sworn officers with full police powers. My nephew is one and has the same powers as one of my nieces who's a deputy sheriff in a near-by county.

Anyway, interesting story. SEC is one of the larger churches in the country. Frequently referred to as "Six Flags Over Jesus", "Jesus World" and other friendly nicknames...

After services, they have off-duty cops directing traffic out of their lots. I believe the only larger parking lots in KY are where U of L and UK play basketball and football...... BIG damn church. Actually, it seems to be more of a social club. Whatever, here's the story and here's the link to the comments:

http://forums.courier-journal.com/viewtopic.php?t=64530

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... 7708090441

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Couple suing church, officers
Allege battery by Southeast security

By Jason Riley
jriley@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

A Louisville couple has filed a lawsuit against Southeast Christian Church and two corrections officers who direct traffic for the church, claiming the officers "assaulted and battered" the pair during a stop after a church service last year.

The suit, filed Monday by Bradford Hundley and Jessica Hundley in Jefferson Circuit Court, also names Metro Government and two Metro Corrections officers, Capt. Martin Baker and Officer Kelvin Brooks.

The suit claims that on Aug. 6, 2006, the Hundleys were arrested at a Marathon gas station on Blankenbaker Parkway, across the street from the church. Baker and Brooks were off duty directing church traffic when they "falsely imprisoned" the pair, injuring them during an arrest, according to the suit.

The suit does not say if the couple were leaving church or just driving by.

Bradford Hundley, according to a police report, disregarded an officer's directions at the intersection of Watterson Trail and Blankenbaker, cut into traffic and argued after being approached by officers.

Hundley kicked an officer in the chest while being arrested, according to the police citation. One of the officers used an "arm bar" to gain control of Hundley, according to the report.

Neither Baker and Brooks would comment, according to Pam Windsor, a spokeswoman for Metro Corrections.

Bradford Hundley has been indicted on charges of assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and disregarding signals from an officer directing traffic. He has been released on his own recognizance, and has a hearing in Jefferson Circuit Court on Aug. 30.

Christopher Bates, an attorney for the Hundleys, did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

Bill Patteson, a spokesman for Jefferson County Attorney Irv Maze, said he had not seen the suit and could not comment.

The suit claims the church employed the officers, is liable for their actions and should have known they would "abuse the authority given to them," according to the suit.

Cindee Coffee, a spokeswoman for the church, said she has seen the suit and "we are looking into the situation." Coffee said Baker and Brooks still direct traffic for the church.

Claims made in filing a lawsuit give only one side of the case.

:eek:ldtimer:

See less See more
#7 ·
I've said it on here several times, directing traffic is absolutely the most unnerving thing that I have to do on the job. People just do especially stupid stuff when driving, and more than once I've had somebody want to come out of a car and want to fight in the middle of the intersection.

---

As for hiring officers for special events or traffic direction, it's not uncommon.

#8 ·
legacy38 said:
I've said it on here several times, directing traffic is absolutely the most unnerving thing that I have to do on the job. People just do especially stupid stuff when driving, and more than once I've had somebody want to come out of a car and want to fight in the middle of the intersection.

---

As for hiring officers for special events or traffic direction, it's not uncommon.
Instead of hiring, why wouldn't the organization use the local PD? Personal preference?

#9 ·
ptsmith24 said:
legacy38 said:

---

Instead of hiring, why wouldn't the organization use the local PD? Personal preference?
They use various local agency officers, city and county (combined force now), county sheriff's deputies, COs and others. All sworn officers, no rent-a-cops for this church.

For something really big and infrequent, such as the Derby and Thunder Over Louisville, all local police departments work the events. For basketball games and, in this case, twice-weekly church services, the event operators must provide their own traffic control. So, they hire off-duty LEOs and COs to handle things.

I've driven past this particular church when the tide is changing and must say the people handling traffic do a pretty good job of keeping things moving. Which isn't easy when two or three thousand cars try to exit onto one four-lane roadway, all at the same time!!!

:eek:ldtimer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.