Counties where permits took longer than 60 days to be issued

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Gunstar1, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Please list what county,
    how long ago did you apply,
    and how long did it actually take to be issued.

2. Woody_the_Infidel

Woody_the_Infidel New Member

It took 11 weeks for mine in Barrow. I think i've had it for a year now.

3. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

I've had mine since 1996, it only took about four weeks or so. My wife applied for hers in 2002 and she got hers back in 25 days. Cherokee County.

4. 1818

1818 New Member

It took me 17 days in Gwinnett to get mine in the mail. Ive never heard of any county doing it this quick.

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

1818: If that was for your first permit, it would be the fastest I have ever heard of.

6. wwomack

wwomack New Member

I just got my GFL last week. I applied on March 3 and received it on May 15 so that's roughly 72 days. This is in Clarke county.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Could somebody update the Clarke page with another personal experience, please? One guy had 53 days, so I think it only fair to add that somebody else had 72 days . . .

8. Whasat

Whasat New Member

Carroll County

Got mine back in 77 days in Carroll County, applied for on 3/09/05

9. broncobisley1

broncobisley1 New Member

Dekalb County is one of the long ones, but only if you give in and let them.

I got mine in about 80-85 days , but it would of been 6-months or more if I hadn't been proactive about it. I called them once after about 75-80 days into the process and told the lady I talked to about the 60 day law. She informed me that I was wrong and that it took at least 6 months. I then printed out the portion of the law that states 60 days and took it to the courthouse in person a few days later and told them I wanted to know exactly what the hold up was. I recieved my permit two days later, and when I looked at it I noticed that it was dated about 23 days earlier, meaning that they just planned to sit on it for the remainder of the 6 months with no intention of sending it to me. I haven't had any problems with renewal though, always in less than 30 days, and usually quicker than I expected.

10. Malum Prohibitum

This last post definitely needs to be added to the DeKalb page. Common wisdom would dictate that calling them and prodding them by pointing to the law would result in your paperwork being shuffled to the bottom of the stack . . .

Maybe it really is just ignorance of state law, rather than flat out defiance by county officials.

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I wish that were true, but I have got too many reports of this from DeKalb county over and over again in the past 2 years that suggest otherwise. If I had to guess, the lady he talked to did not know the official lie, that is "the delay is becuase the GBI has not finished the background check".

Another reason why I think they are delaying people on purpose is that both Fulton and DeKalb counties require your Social Security card for first time applicants. As many of you know, a Social Security card is not Identification nor does is prove you are a resident of Georgia. Since most people do not carry their SS card on them then they must go get it (at home or a banks safety deposit box) and come back later. Look at it this way, you don't have to put your Social Security number on the NICS form when you buy a gun, but these 2 counties will not process your application without the actual SS card.

Also about calling and prodding them by pointing to the law, that is exactly what I tell everyone who emails me from DeKalb or Fulton County. Guess what, it works for them too. So for as many people that I have told to do that and then soon after have received their license, everybody in that office should know the law by now.

After thinking about this for a while I have come to 2 reasons why quoting them the law and getting your license back quicker goes against "common wisdom".
    a) They know they are doing wrong and by sending licenses to those people who complain to the court clerk will keep those applicants from reporting it to someone with power and influence.
    b) They are more at risk from a lawsuit if they keep them longer from people who know the law and are more at risk. To be able to sue the county for taking so long, you have to be a victim of a crime during the 4 months after you should have got the permit. Those that know the law are the ones who hire an attorney to sue the county when a law is violated.

I have tried to come up with an excuse for them, but everything I can come up with is refuted by residents telling me what they went through.

Right now my belief is that they know the law and are doing everything in their power to keep on doing things the way they want to.

12. hawkeye680

hawkeye680 New Member

Chatham County

I applied Feb 16th, got mine Sep 15th.

I kept getting the background check excuse also.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Out of curiosity, what is the "Issue Date" just under your signature and next to your date of birth?

14. Malum Prohibitum

If HB 952 becomes law, then we will be hearing similar stories on the renewal of licenses, not just the initial application.

15. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

If HB 952 becomes law, then we will be hearing similar stories on the renewal of licenses, not just the initial application.

MP, that observation may prove true, but it may not. I am under the impression that many counties already run another background check for renewals (they do have the option), so nothing much would change. I don't know if more fingerprints thrown into the mix would do anything.

16. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

All counties have to do a background check when you renew. The option is for the judge to submit the cards to the GCIC and FBI with $24 for processing, which the GCIC takes them 35 to 49 days to process OR a Sheriff's deputy can run the check on a computer in the office that connects to GCIC databases and do a search for free that takes all of 10-20 minutes.

Their is no doubt that a renewal will take much longer. It is basically saying a renewal should be treated exactly the same as a new applicant.

17. pballfreeek

pballfreeek New Member

126 days and counting. Barrow county.

18. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Polk County

Ink fingerprints
    First time application

Applied 11/29/2005-recieved on the 79th day.
    License dated on 78th day.

19. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Applied 11/15/05 in Cobb County. Still waiting.

I called today and got referenced to an unoffcial opinion of the AG numbered U-78-45

I fired off an Email to my state rep (Teilhet) about it. I doubt it will help, but at least I did something proactive.