Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I a newbie to posting on this site. I just called the Newton County Probate Court about renewing my firearms license which is set to expire soon. I was told that I need $35 in cash and a $40 money order made out to the Newton County Sheriff's office. Am I correct that it is going to cost me $75 to renew my firearms license? This sounds like to much $$$. Thanks for any advice or clarification.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,539 Posts
OK, So this may have been discussed here already but here goes anyways...what is the difference between paying a GWL fee to carry or a poll tax to vote?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,460 Posts
jdh31313 said:
OK, So this may have been discussed here already but here goes anyways...what is the difference between paying a GWL fee to carry or a poll tax to vote?
One has been tried and declared unconstitutional and the other has not.

Note that only fairly recently the Supreme Court has declared the 2nd is individual and can be applied to the states in regards to keeping a firearm in your home. The only part of bearing arms has been in relation to inside the home.

It will be years before a case regarding fees for carry licenses will be heard. If the dicta from Heller holds true, I would bet that SCOTUS would would give us unlicensed open carry and a license (with fees) for concealed carry would be ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,868 Posts
When I moved down from up north (NYC) years ago, I was overjoyed that I could even get a concealed carry permit in Georgia, no matter what it cost.

Did not have an ice cube's chance in hell of that ever happening for me in the Big Apple. It cost me more than 4x that amount annually in the late 70s and 80s just to get and maintain a target-only pistol permit up there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
Gunstar1 said:
If the dicta from Heller holds true, I would bet that SCOTUS would would give us unlicensed open carry and a license (with fees) for concealed carry would be ok.
SCOTUS gives us our rights? :?
 

·
Senior Mumbler
Joined
·
6,524 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
Gunstar1 said:
If the dicta from Heller holds true, I would bet that SCOTUS would would give us unlicensed open carry and a license (with fees) for concealed carry would be ok.
SCOTUS gives us our rights? :?
Unfortunately, that's what it's come too now days. :screwy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,182 Posts
Was $30 then almost 50 through the years. $70 is a bit steep, must be the cost of the nifty new cards.. :shakehead: I'd like to see them justify the higher costs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
I was in the Douglas county offices applying for my permit just yesterday when a women came in just after me. She told the clerk that she was there to renew here permit and the clerk told here "we no longer renew the weapon permits you have to go through the whole processes again".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,528 Posts
87FieroGT said:
I was in the Douglas county offices applying for my permit just yesterday when a women came in just after me. She told the clerk that she was there to renew here permit and the clerk told here "we no longer renew the weapon permits you have to go through the whole processes again".
Right. It's a renewal but you really go through all the paperwork and prints just like a new one. Doesn't really make sense to me. My prints haven't changed and are already in the system. Get a "pistol toters" license - prints and background check, Hazmat endorsement - prints and background check, TWIC card - prints and background check. And you have to pay full price every time. "Mo money" for the government.
 

·
Atlanta Overwatch
Joined
·
13,894 Posts
mountainman444 said:
87FieroGT said:
I was in the Douglas county offices applying for my permit just yesterday when a women came in just after me. She told the clerk that she was there to renew here permit and the clerk told here "we no longer renew the weapon permits you have to go through the whole processes again".
Right. It's a renewal but you really go through all the paperwork and prints just like a new one. Doesn't really make sense to me. My prints haven't changed and are already in the system. Get a "pistol toters" license - prints and background check, Hazmat endorsement - prints and background check, TWIC card - prints and background check. And you have to pay full price every time. "Mo money" for the government.
This. There is really now renewal, they are all treated as new applications. You can request a temp license if already have one that is going to expire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
I paid $39 for my current license with all processing. It is renewable in 2012. From the looks of things, I am about to pay double that for another 5 years. I guess the Pure Oil Station regular at $0.189 and $0.209 per gallon, yes 18.9 cents and 20.9 cents a gallon, has gone up slightly too, over the years, so maybe a doubling of the cost to exercise a simple, natural, individual right should double over 5 years. Best to just suck it up and pay that and the new tax of $.50 per liter of oxygen consumed out of the atmosphere, imposed by the Environmental Protection Agency. :lol:
 

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
Joined
·
6,763 Posts
My GWL will expire in August. I have put the money aside for my new GWL. I'm now in the process of saving for the GCO convention :righton:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,559 Posts
Quit complaining and just do what the government tells you to do.... :(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,239 Posts
Even though the process is the same it's technically still a renewal. It's spelled out as a renewal in the Georgia Code because you can request a 90 day temp permit during the renewal process.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
marco427 said:
Try $90.00 in Pickens county.
I don't think they are legally allowed to charge you that much.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top