Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm looking on the net for cheap 7.65 x 54 ammo. I've been buying current production Serbian stuff for $10.95 per 20 rounds. I found ammunitionstore.com with '70's vintage Argentinian ammo for $8.95 per 50 rounds, that is supposed to be non-corrosive. Do I trust it to be? If it ends up being corrosive will it damage my 100 year old rifle? I'm normally picky about cleaning guns and clean one within 24 hours of use. If it's corrosive and is cleaned quickly will it lessen any damage?

Any thought or opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Adam5 said:
Ok, I'm looking on the net for cheap 7.65 x 54 ammo. I've been buying current production Serbian stuff for $10.95 per 20 rounds. I found ammunitionstore.com with '70's vintage Argentinian ammo for $8.95 per 50 rounds, that is supposed to be non-corrosive. Do I trust it to be? If it ends up being corrosive will it damage my 100 year old rifle? I'm normally picky about cleaning guns and clean one within 24 hours of use. If it's corrosive and is cleaned quickly will it lessen any damage?

Any thought or opinions are appreciated.
My :2cents: is unless you have a hard chromed lined barrel you will ruin your rifle after the first shot with corrosive ammo. It's not the powder but the primer cap that has a type of mercury and or amonia as the ignition source which will start the corrosion in your unlined barrel.
Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Nope, you won't ruin it by using the corrosive :D . But you MUST clean immediately after shooting with either: hot water and soap, ammonia, or windex (these methods clear the barrel of the corrosive salts left behind when the primer ignites the cartridge). Any of these three methods, plus a thorough regular cleaning will allow you to shoot vast amounts of surplus corrosive ammo without worry. I collect Mosin-Nagants and I fire them with different types of corrosive ammo regularly. You have to make the commitment to cleaning immediately after firing. 8)

Check out the article on how to clean after using corrosive ammo on www.surplusrifle.com

·
hu huh, you said "Member"
585 Posts
I disagree. Most all ammo back in WWII that the Germans and Russians used had corrosive primers, that when they ignite the charge leave corrosive salts around the area.

The barrels didnt just vaporize. The chambers didnt just start to rust/corrode/pit/disintegrate after firing the first shot.

Most likely, the weapon that you now possess has had hundreds, if not thousands of corrosive rounds put through it. Oh, the horror!

Actually the place that is most likely to see the hurt from corrosive primers is the bolt face/breech area. Especially since it can get in the firing pin channel inside the bolt.

All you have to do is wipe down that area with ammonia (Windex works wonders) sometime after you shoot it, then clean as normal. I normally pull the bolt out, clean the bolt face and the front of the bolt, then wipe out the receiver/mag follower and chamber area as best I can. Run one patch of Windex down the bbl, then clean normally (Hoppes 9, ed's red, etc whatever your choice may be). Dry patch the bbl, then oil it all down.

Every few hundred rounds (that is a lot out of a bolt gun, especially one that kicks like a mule), pull the bolt apart and clean it really well. Or do it more often (every time?), if you do desire. It's not like getting a Mauser or Mosin bolt apart is that difficult, anyways.

If you are worried about it, spend the extra 20 minutes to disassemble the bolt and Windex it all out.

Corrosion takes a long time to happen, when left untreated. Neautralize the corrosive agent, neutralize the corrosion. Yeah it may happen over **another** 100 years, but then it'll be my grandson's problem!

All my friends have milsurps and all have shot/do shoot corrosive stuff. Never a problem.

Milsurps RAWK :shock:

In conclusion, MY two cents is that you should shoot the hell out of it, and enjoy it. My 8mm Mauser ammo pile was touted as being non-corrosive, but I still wipe it down like it was corrosive. Just takes a few extra minutes.

Mausers and Mosins were designed and made for hard use, with corrosive ammo in mind. Much harder use than it will ever see in the hands of a civilian American (you know, unless SHTF :) ) They are super easy to clean, so just clean it and you will be fine.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jp233 said:
Every few hundred rounds (that is a lot out of a bolt gun, especially one that kicks like a mule), pull the bolt apart and clean it really well. Or do it more often (every time?), if you do desire. It's not like getting a Mauser or Mosin bolt apart is that difficult, anyways.
A few hundred rounds??? My right shoulder won't take a few hundred rounds!!!

I'm going to order a few boxes for the shoot on June. I've got nothing to lose except for a little elbow grease to clean it with. If it works well, at $8.95 per 50, I can fire the Mauser alot more that I have been. :D

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Where did you find them for $8.95/50? I want some of that action! :shock:

·
Registered
131 Posts
A blackpowder shooters trick is to put hot soapy water in a tall sturdy glass or cup and place the muzzle end of the rifle in the cup. run the cleaning rod with a patch up an down the barrell a few times sucking the water into the barrel. that will flush out all the corrosive residue. then just clean up the chamber and bolt. the barrel will airdry quickly from the heat of the water. wipe everything down good with an oiled rag and run a couple oilled patches thru and ur done.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I always carry a small bottle of windex with me in my bag so that I can spray the bore down if I can't immediately clean it.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
You are fine, just clean the gun properly as soon as you can after shooting. Corrosive is a pain, that's why I try to avoid it.

People with beltfeds worth 10s of thousands of dollars often use corrosive ammo, they just clean the gun after shooting.

I don't know if I'd always trust the advertisement saying it is non-corrosive.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Am I the only one who cleans immediately after shooting, every single time?

I had the range master at the range I go to comment that he rarely sees anyone clean as diligently as I, and that the ones who do are all military... does it make me weird that I spend as much time cleaning as I do shooting, and that I do it immediately after I get done shooting?

I just wanna protect my investment, and dad (former US Army firearms instructor and Ranger) drilled gun safety and cleaning into my head...

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Yup, I clean on the range after shooting. Military father here, too.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
gsusnake said:
Am I the only one who cleans immediately after shooting, every single time?
Nope. I detail clean my weapons as soon as I get home.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Hell, sometimes, if I get bored, I clean even if I haven't been shooting.

Actually just got done disassembling the Taurus and doing a thorough detail clean and putting it back together.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did a bad thing........ I didn't clean anything when I got back from Bullseye Sunday.

But to make up for it, I ran 50 rounds through my Saiga, 50 rounds through my G17, and 28 rounds through my PPK/S tonight. I'm cleaning now.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Dan H said:
Would you recommend buying ammo from here for my 9mm pistol or stay away from it?
Looking at their prices on 9mm WWB alone....you'd get a better deal from Walmart.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Their Blazer is only $1 less per hundred than WWB from Walmart. You'll probably spend more than that for shipping. I normally use the net for Mauser ammo, but buy my others locally.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts