Corrections Carry?

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by vwang, Oct 3, 2006.

1. vwang

vwang New Member

I currently reside in Michigan but have just been hired with the Georgia Dept of Corrections. I read that Correction Offiers are sworn peace officers but If Im not mistaken they still have to obtain a carry license. My question is, does it take the same amount of time for your lisense to be issued or is it a sooner process. Also do the same carry powers apply to them as normal citizens or are the carry powers different. Any info would be much appreciated. I have a ccw permit hear in Michigan and would also like to obtain one in georgia. by the way the county i will live in is Dekalb, if that matters. Thanks all.

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Sorry, you are mistaken. If you are going to become a keeper of a correctional institution, or you are a sworn peace officer you are exempt from the license requirements.

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/GaCode/?t ... ection=130
    Note: 16-11-126 through 16-11-128 are the laws against carrying concealed and carrying without a license and public gathering law.

I don't know if your Michigan permit will stay valid when you move, the only reason you would want a GFL is for carry in other states and to be exempt from NICS check during a firearm purchase at a dealer. If you do get a GFL your county probate court handles the applications. 159 counties means 159 different ways to issue a license. I have gotten reports that DeKalb is getting close to following the law. Which is good because they used to be no where near following it.

3. vwang

vwang New Member

ahh okay thanks for the info, are the carry powers any different?

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

carry powers? As in when you can use deadly force? or where you can and can't go?

5. vwang

vwang New Member

as in where you can go or cannot go

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well the Places Off Limits are listed here:
    http://www.georgiapacking.org/gflpol.php

On that page, you can ignore the public gathering stuff (public gathering block and publicly owned or operated building blocks), the school zones stuff, and depending on the facility you work at the Jail/Prison Guard Line stuff.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

8. Sorata

Sorata New Member

I too am curious as to the exemptions in GA Code 16-11-130 section b. It was not till recently due to the nature of my job that I felt a need to get a concealed weapons license which I am going to go get next month. You see I just learned of this code while reviewing the concealed laws and the line "keepers of correctional institutions" stood out to me. You see I am a correctional officer in Georgia and nowhere was this info ever made available to us. I would like to know if anyone is willing to help me find a list of official government persons or entities that i can email about this matter to get clarification as to what "keepers of correctional institutions " exactly means. You see the only mention in my training of carrying a weapon while off duty according to the training officer I had was that we couldnt without a concealed weapons license like everyone else but he however did say a training officer like himself could carry off duty due to special powers a training officer has. No mention of this exemption was ever made and what we were told imloies that this codes definition may not mean regular Correctional Officers like a CO1, CO2, Sergeant etc..

9. Sorata

Sorata New Member

I want to try to get an official word on this as it would be a shame to get arrested for carrying in a place I thought I could but was then told couldnt and lose my job as well as possibly that new FN Herstal 5.7x28mm USG I just got for my concealed weapon. :D

10. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Sorata,

It sounds like you are looking for an official pronouncement of what the statute means that will be binding on all state and local government officials statewide. There is no such thing. Even an attorney general opinion is not binding.

11. Sorata

Sorata New Member

Just Got My Answer Today

Got a definite answer today on Georgia Correctional Officers. Yes we are exempt under Code 16-11-130. They just worded it as "keepers of correctional institutions" so it covers even non Correctional Officers who work for us (like our food service workers) who have the option to go to school to get POST certification if they want but which isn't required of them.
    In Georgia all Correctional Officers are POST certified now but a very few like less than 1% even realize let alone exercise code 16-11-130 as it isn't told to us in training to prevent liability that may pop up if one of us wants to play cops and robbers after hours.
    Seems my POST certificate to hang on my wall and my certification card that I am to carry with me which proves I am POST certified and I am exempt hasn't arrived yet it usually arrives after 6 months.
    But I am covered in full which explains why on my latest gun purchases on one I was charged for the background check when I worked for a private prison but the newest one on my charges shows no such fee as I am now with the state (the FBI told them this during the immediate check on me apparently cause I made no mention I was a correctional officer).

12. Sorata

Sorata New Member

Dont see why not as its clearly stated in the law I am exempt in two section of the Georgia code as a POST Certified Law Enforcement and section B as a keeper of a correctional institution. Got a lot to cover my butt with on and off duty now even after I retire one day the state will still extend this exemption to me so long as I retire after ten years as a correctional officer, retire as a cop or just go and keep up my POST certification every two years even if I flat out quit.

13. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

Does anyone know how much POST certification costs. I though about going to the GPSTC in Forsyth as a "Free Agent" and taking POST certification just to be exempt from the carry laws.

I had heard that the cost is around 3 grand. Can anyone confirm this?

14. Sorata

Sorata New Member

Try Searching http://www.gapost.org/ which is the Georgia POST website and has contact address' there. I can find no info however on doing it "Free Agent" all the forms require a sponsering agency and from what I hear just basic post certification cost 3000-5000 per person according to my fellow officers.