Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Custom User Title
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance. I know the information is here somewhere but I cannot find it.

If everything goes well, in the next few weeks I will relocate to a house bordering with the public land managed by the Corps of Engineers.

I understand that there is a way to get a permission for carrying a firearm, if you have a state carry permit. I think you need to mail a written request.
Is there any form available? Does anybody know how long it take before receiving the authorization and how long it lasts?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,099 Posts
As of a year ago there was no government propagated form or application from the Corps. On the internets there was a recommended model for the wording in your letter. You just identify yourself as a resident of Georgia and a weapons permit holder from Georgia, you enclose photo copies of your GWL card front and back, you tell the District Commander in your letter that you would like permission to carry concealed only encore property for personal protection and lawful self-defense. A year ago there was no government propagated form or application from the core around the internets there was a recommended model for your letter in your letter you just identify yourself as a resident of Georgia and a weapons permit holder from Georgia you enclose photocopies of your GWL card front and back you tell the district commander in your letter that you would like permission to carry concealed only on court property for personal protection and lawful self-defense.Your there should say the federal code of regulations that gives the district commander permission to authorize the carrying a firearms under such conditions should he or she choose to do so.

PS. you need to write to the district commander of the Corps of Engineers district that has authority over the waterways or parks that you want to carry in for me I had to write to two different districts one based in Mobile Alabama and one based in Savannah Georgia so that I could carry both around lakes in the Atlanta area and lake Heartwell in South Carolina.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,099 Posts
Reactions: UtiPossidetis

·
Custom User Title
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much, I really appreciate it. I do not know why I could not find that thread.
In my case it is for the land around Lake Allatoona. "Their" land begins just behind my backyard.

I think I will use the example below (from that discussions), as soon as I move to the new address, in about two weeks. I hope that the fact that my carry permit will show the old address in Fulton Co. is not going to make it more complicated.

FWIW... I mailed the following letter to the Savannah district on Labor Day weekend. I received my permission letter yesterday.

Colonel Daniel H. Hibner, District Commander
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Savannah District
100 W Oglethorpe Avenue
Savannah, GA 31401-3604

Dear Colonel Hibner,

I am a Georgia Weapons License holder (photo of license attached) and am requesting written permission under 36 C.F.R. § 327.13(a)(4) to carry a concealed firearm for my personal protection while on land and/or waterways that are controlled by the Corp of Engineers and that are under your Command.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

my name
my address

·
Custom User Title
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mailed our letters on July 15th.
No news so far so I’m getting a little anxious....

·
Custom User Title
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the mailing address for the Mobile office on their web site, but no names. Does anybody know who should I address it to?

Mailing Address
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Mobile District
P.O. Box 2288
Mobile, AL 36628

·
Custom User Title
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found: Colonel Sebastien P. Joly, District Commander

·
Registered
137 Posts
Found: Colonel Sebastien P. Joly, District Commander
That's who I wrote to last year. it took about 4-5 weeks to receive both letters from the different districts. I carry a copy in each of my vehicles as well as a "1/4 scale " (reduced) size in my wallet. Since I carry every day I might be in someone else's vehicle while traveling.
Be sure and conceal carry only and carry a paper copy on your person.
Jonathan

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Wasn't the case dropped because the Corps stated they were rewriting the regulations to more closely align with US Forest Service regulations? Since they haven't followed through does that mean we could revive the case?

·
PITA
232 Posts
Anyone "in the know" have any updates to post here on the USACOE proposed rule change? When they asked for comments, I got really excited, thinking it was a done deal, and that I could soon quit carrying those dumbass permission letters with me. Now it seems like I might need to re-apply for those letters in a year or two.

·
Custom User Title
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife and I received the permission letters for the Savannah District today. 5 Years validity. As I mentioned I had mailed our letters for that district on July 15th.

Thanks to the forum for the information.

Waiting for the lakes near Atlanta.

·
Sledgehammer
4,765 Posts
Wasn't the case dropped because the Corps stated they were rewriting the regulations to more closely align with US Forest Service regulations? Since they haven't followed through does that mean we could revive the case?
The case was dropped because they started giving people permission to carry there. It would be difficult to sue when anyone with a GWL can ask for and receive a license from the feds to carry on certain federal property.

·
Sledgehammer
4,765 Posts
Anyone "in the know" have any updates to post here on the USACOE proposed rule change? When they asked for comments, I got really excited, thinking it was a done deal, and that I could soon quit carrying those dumbass permission letters with me. Now it seems like I might need to re-apply for those letters in a year or two.
I'm not in the know, but at this point my suspicion is they are slow-rolling it until the election, because the career army officials really don't want to change the reg and if Biden is elected they probably won't have to.

·
PITA
232 Posts
I'm not in the know, but at this point my suspicion is they are slow-rolling it until the election, because the career army officials really don't want to change the reg and if Biden is elected they probably won't have to.
I didn't notice this reply of yours, until I scrolled down a ways to look back for this thread. Thanks for the update.

And if anyone hears any news, please post it here. Many of us (I think, and I know I am), who spend a good bit of time on USACOE land, are interested in this possible development. I get tired of worrying about my permission letter getting wet from my sweaty mountain biking, or me falling in the water, and becoming unreadable.

·
Custom User Title
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think a copy would be perfectly fine. There is not even a signature.

·
PITA
232 Posts
I think a copy would be perfectly fine. There is not even a signature.
Mine is a copy. Being unreadable would be the problem, and I would rather not have to go to court later with a readable copy.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,099 Posts
I made a copy of mine, but the copy is only something like 75% of the size of the original.
Then, I trimmed the margins off the paper with scissors.
Then I folded it 4 times to make the document a rectangle not much bigger than a playing card.
Then I put in in a ZipLock sandwich bag, sealed it (pressing all the air out, too), and added clear packaging tape to both keep it shut and to make it more durable.
That's how I carry it. If necessary to show it to somebody, I can use my teeth or a small rock with a jagged edge, my car key, or my clippy knife to open the bag and get the paper out to show the cops or a park ranger.

·
Custom User Title
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, considering that it must be carry concealed, I doubt anybody will ever stop me.

·
PITA
232 Posts
Also, considering that it must be carry concealed, I doubt anybody will ever stop me.
Same here. I just worry that since most of my time on USACOE land, I am mountain biking, and the chance of a serious accident with paramedics finding my concealed gun, and calling the cops, are a very real possibility for me.

I have noticed a paramedic or cop (I don't recall which) at a mountain bike trailhead noticing my Hill People Gear chest pack and giving me the look like he knew exactly what was in it, but didn't say anything. In my nearly 30 years of carrying concealed, that was one of the only two times someone has noticed (that I noticed). The other time, I squatted down and a buddy noticed me printing. Thankfully, I had never been made at work.

·
Sledgehammer
4,765 Posts
I get tired of worrying about my permission letter getting wet from my sweaty mountain biking, or me falling in the water, and becoming unreadable.
If you're really concerned about it, scan it and reduce it to credit card size and then print it an laminate it. You can probably get that done for $1. And get in mind that this is only a COE regulation and not a state law, you would have to be cited by a COE ranger. A GA LEO would not even have grounds to detain you.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts