Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i like watching cops for the humor factor. One thing I noticed though is I cant recall 1 time ever seeing someone decline a search request or even invoke their right to remain silent. Has anyone seen either?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,868 Posts
It is rare on COPS but yes, I have seen both. I have a son that just loves to watch that show, so I have watched many, many episodes with him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,673 Posts
I have never seen it and I watch cops all the time. I guess in the parts of the hood they hang out people aren't worried about their rights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts
It is a television show, they make their episodes tailored towards what they feel the public who watches the show wants to see, all about ratings. Odds are good that while the crews are riding around on occasion they have someone stopped who refuses to grant consent, but what makes better t.v? A cop pulls over a car, and ends up only writing a ticket because they were not granted consent to search, or a cop pulls over a car, gets consent, finds guns/money/drugs/dead body, or whatever else there may be and bad guy goes to jail... I think if they showed too many times of someone refusing consent it would lose some of it's audience. The way they edit and put their episodes together has served them well 20+ years, why change that?
 

·
Member Georgia Carry
Joined
·
11,852 Posts
I've seen where the person has declined a request to search, only to have the situation proceed with the officer checking the vehicle anyway with a drug dog. And of course the officer always had reasonable articulate suspiscion to do this - "The guy looked nervous", or "He made a furtive movement".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Jk30265 said:
It is a television show, they make their episodes tailored towards what they feel the public who watches the show wants to see, all about ratings. Odds are good that while the crews are riding around on occasion they have someone stopped who refuses to grant consent, but what makes better t.v? A cop pulls over a car, and ends up only writing a ticket because they were not granted consent to search, or a cop pulls over a car, gets consent, finds guns/money/drugs/dead body, or whatever else there may be and bad
guy goes to jail... I think if they showed too many times of someone refusing consent it would lose some of it's audience. The way they edit and put their episodes together has served them well 20+ years, why change that?
I agree
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,568 Posts
Gee, fellows - do you think the show could go on without the cooperation of the cops?

Didn't think so. Therefore, it is probably VERY important to
the producers to make sure cops aren't outrun, outsmarted, or out lawyered.

Can't embarrass your star, can you?
It'd go over about as well as introducing Oprah with "here's the fat lady!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,868 Posts
Hate to spoil the fun, but I can recall at least one episode of COPS where the K9 responds as a backup, walks around the vehicle with its handler, and begins to claw at the shiny car or truck door telling the handler he senses the presence of what he is trained to alert on.

Then the officers proceed to search the entire vehicle, as they now have probable cause to search for drugs or controlled substances without consent.

Sounds like you've also missed at least one where the suspects outrun the police by jumping over fences quicker than they could, and knowing the apartment complexes better. Matter of fact, I just saw that one last week, it was a rerun.

Or one that I recall where the officers called off a high speed chase in the interest of public safety (on command of their supervisor), because the suspect was only wanted on a traffic violation.

My son DVRs the show every day it is on, we don't miss any episodes around here.
 

·
I'm kind of a big deal
Joined
·
5,243 Posts
I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of people who are asked, consent (whether there is a camera crew there or not).....they don't know that they don't have to say yes. Just like most people seem to choose not to remain silent.... :sheep:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
69,149 Posts
Uh, real life, unedited, my experience, they always say yes. :wink:
 

·
I'm kind of a big deal
Joined
·
5,243 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Uh, real life, unedited, my experience, they always say yes. :wink:
Why do you think that is? I think it's because they just don't know they can say no.....but just my opinion. Is it ignorance or intimidation? I guess it could be a little of both...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,075 Posts
The show is highly edited.

Overwhelmingly, very overwhelmingly, people consent to searches. I've been doing this two months short of 12 years now. On less than one hand I can count the number of people that have refused consent to search and refused to answer questions after having been read Miranda COMBINED.

The Sheriff and I have now two years in a row addressed a group of UGA students (several hundred each time) concerning procedure. We fully explain search stuff to them, and then STILL get consent to look through book bags after doing so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,847 Posts
I've given up on Cops. I've moved on to Lawman. "That's right, Steven Segal. " :Nunchaku:
 

·
I watch the watchers
Joined
·
12,883 Posts
You know that show, Mythbusters? Yeah, the one where they flip toast in the air to see if it'll land butter side down or not.
I think I heard the other day that there's either 20 or 50 hours of video to be edited for every hour that they air.

That gives a pretty good idea of how many encounters don't even make it to the cutting room floor.
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
I've watched COP religiously for a very long time and I cannot recall one person declining a search.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BSCLibertarian said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
Uh, real life, unedited, my experience, they always say yes. :wink:
Why do you think that is? I think it's because they just don't know they can say no.....but just my opinion. Is it ignorance or intimidation? I guess it could be a little of both...
think the vast majority believe if they cooperate they get off easier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,713 Posts
atlsrt44 said:
BSCLibertarian said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
Uh, real life, unedited, my experience, they always say yes. :wink:
Why do you think that is? I think it's because they just don't know they can say no.....but just my opinion. Is it ignorance or intimidation? I guess it could be a little of both...
think the vast majority believe if they cooperate they get off easier.
The cops always assure them that their cooperation will help them, the cops truly want to help these BG's :lol: .

They need the perps to talk and get into a lot of banter to make if fun to watch on TV.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top