Cops get aggravated when you start watching THEM

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by mzmtg, Feb 15, 2007.

1. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/10935892/detail.html

It will be VERY interesting to see how the judge handles these charges. I hope he does the right thing and throws them right out while telling the cop to follow the laws he is sworn to enforce.

I guess you could call me a dreamer...

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Stalking?

O.C.G.A. 16-5-90

(a)(1) A person commits the offense of stalking when he or she follows, places under surveillance, or contacts another person at or about a place or places without the consent of the other person for the purpose of harassing and intimidating the other person. For the purpose of this article, the terms "computer" and "computer network" shall have the same meanings as set out in Code Section 16-9-92; the term "contact" shall mean any communication including without being limited to communication in person, by telephone, by mail, by broadcast, by computer, by computer network, or by any other electronic device; and the place or places that contact by telephone, mail, broadcast, computer, computer network, or any other electronic device is deemed to occur shall be the place or places where such communication is received. For the purpose of this article, the term "place or places" shall include any public or private property occupied by the victim other than the residence of the defendant. For the purposes of this article, the term "harassing and intimidating" means a knowing and willful course of conduct directed at a specific person which causes emotional distress by placing such person in reasonable fear for such person's safety or the safety of a member of his or her immediate family, by establishing a pattern of harassing and intimidating behavior, and which serves no legitimate purpose. This Code section shall not be construed to require that an overt threat of death or bodily injury has been made.

Can this possibly meet the bolded portion?

Unless there is some physical threat not reported in the story (and there might be, we don't know), this Kennesaw officer ought to be immediately fired. If his department has already had to counsel him once, I can guess who is the problem here. I already sent my email to the Kennesaw P.D. Hopefully they won't take a warrant out on me.

3. BergerBoy

BergerBoy New Member

Did you by chance see a video on the internet a year or so back of the cops at the car accident scene?

A guy had an accident occur a few houses down from him; an officer had rear-ended a guy and was trying to get out of it. The guy got a video camera and stood on his lawn zooming in and taping the incident. The cops saw this, and came up to him and demanded he go back in his house or they'd arrest him! I think they tried to take his camera, too! :shock:

Figures, though.

4. Watch_Their_Hands

Watch_Their_Hands New Member

Remember, with cops it's, "Do as I say, not as I do." :wink:

5. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

6. Malum Prohibitum

Hooray! :woohoo: =D>

But I'd still fire him for trying it in the first place.

7. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

That cops do this is no real surprise, but...

$1,200 for cameras... What's a speedbump cost, $3K? How about a nice little white picket fence?

I have speed "busy bodies" in my neighborhood. Old ladies that flap their arms wildly at me as I cruise by at 22 in a 25. This on a 50 foot long road that doglegs. The fastest I can go and still reasonably make my turn is 27.

Kudos for getting actual speed recorded, but it seems as though their problem could have been solved, rather than just documented.

8. Foul

Foul New Member

How about expecting the cops to obey the same laws us "peons" must obey?
    Is that too much to ask or is the "rule of law" as dead as our Constitution?

9. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

They're above the law, much like city aldermen in GFW locales like Chicago :) .

I'm not giddy that cops are disobeying posted speed limits. But... If you have the means to make a choice between independently solving your problem (speedbump, picket fence) and buying equipment to record the evidence after the fact, it seems as it would be more in one's self interest to solve your problem. After all, none of this "cops disobeying the law and attempting to harass us" is going to protect their child from the damned teenagers blazing along at 45 up the street. They could take up a collection and hire an off duty cop to set up a speed trap 4 hours a week, but that's still not going to protect their child much more effectively. What happens if someone re-surveys the road and they determine a safe speed limit is really 35 or 40?

To be fair, it may be a bad-cop story disguised by reporting as one of they prototypical harping on "speeders" in neighborhoods.

10. Foul

Foul New Member

I disagree.
    Citizen breaks law, citizen pays price.

Cop breaks same law, cop pays same price.

Anything less is condoning an elitist society. We have enough of that in government as it is.

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

MP, wasn't there a case a while back about some cops trying to prosecute some drug dealers under the PatAct because the dealers had some sort of camera at their front door. The police knew this but still allowed themselves to be video taped just so they could bring the charges?

Good god those are some terribly structured sentences, but I'm too lazy to go back and fix them right now.

12. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Everybody (except the Sipples apparently...) knows that cops don't get busted for speeding. It just doesn't happen. Those people are acting downright unAmerican. They should be locked up.

When a properly sworn LEO can't break the speed limit with impunity, there's something seriously wrong!

I say the judge should throw their asses not only in jail, but under the jail and never let them out!!!

The nerve of those people...

13. Wiley

Wiley New Member

After reading stuff like this I think there are a small number of cops causing the good ones an awfull lot of trouble. Evidence the comments posted here and on some of the other boards.

14. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I have come into contact with many LEOs and the :censored: is the one I remember most.

The good actions of the others certainly over-compensate for bad actions of the :censored: LEO, but he is always the first I remember.

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

It's like in food service.

If you wrong the customer then bring them back in they will always be more loyal then the person you gave great service to.

16. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Love this story....

Nothing like trying to stick it to the man.

Cops bewilder me. I have met some that I absolutely love and have befriended and others well, I won't comment.

I had one the other day try to intimidate me with his "glare". He had the exit of the local CVS partially blocked for no apparent emergency reason. I tried to back up and go out the other way but another car was behind me and they started blowing their horn at me! The cop looked up at me and gave me an eat poopoo look like I was the one blowing my horn it him. He moved his car the two feet that I needed to clear. I just looked back at him and didn't break eye contact with until I had passed. It is a wonder he didn't pull out and try to shake me down.

For all of you LEO that read this....I tried to respect his space and back away but I was blocked in by another motorist that began honking at me.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Yeah, yeah :roll: you are just anti-LEO. :D