·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/10935892/detail.html

Couple Catches Neighborhood Speeders, Officer

POSTED: 4:51 pm EST February 5, 2007
UPDATED: 6:33 pm EST February 5, 2007

ATLANTA -- A Bartow County couple is fighting back against neighborhood speeders. Lee and Teresa Sipple live at the bottom of a steep hill outside of Rome and say most motorists ignore the posted speed limit and zoom by their house, endangering them and their 2-year-old son. But now, fighting back could land them in jail.

Lee and Teresa Sipple have an upcoming court date to see if they will be arrested for messing with a cop.

“My little boy, I don’t, I don’t want him hurt,†Lee Sipple told Channel 2. Lee and his wife, Teresa are tired of neighborhood speeders. “Not that I’m going to teach my child to play out in the street but when they come off that hill, they’re just cooking! I mean, I’ve got people going 50 and 46, a 42, a 37,†explained Lee.

How does Lee know their actual speed? He went out and purchased a radar.

“I’m not trying to get the folks in trouble per se, I’m just trying to slow them down and if they see the radar, they may slow down â€" but it hasn’t happened yet,†Lee said.

So Lee took it one step further.

“I mean, and I figured, well as much as I hate to do it…†He and his wife spent $1,200 on cameras that capture the evidence. “A picture is worth a thousand words,†said Lee. “It’s not something I can make up. You can sit here and watch it work, as a car goes by.â€

Lee has three different cameras trained on the street to catch local speeders red-handed.

“Video evidence â€" same thing as the red light cameras â€" and I can grab it, print it, send it, e-mail it…†Lee said.

Lee says his most surprising catch yet? A neighbor who ought to know better. “Kennesaw police officer, you know, coming down the hill and running 34 miles per hour in a 25 mile an hour zone.â€

And Lee says it happens quite often.

“Oh, I’ve caught him going 42, 37, going up the hill, down the hill, all kinds of speeds.â€

The Kennesaw officer is named Richard Perrone â€" he declined our request for an interview.

Kennesaw police say they’ve talked with the Sipples, but can’t interfere in another county’s business.

“We continue to talk to the officer to continue to find out his side, but it’s ultimately going to come down to Bartow County. It’s their jurisdiction for them to investigate it and enforce the traffic laws in their jurisdiction,†said Officer Scott Luther.

Turns out, Bartow County did get involved, when their deputy knocked on the Sipple’s front door.

“Low and behold, she’s there trying to figure out if she’s going to arrest me or not for harassing him,†said Lee.

That’s right. Perrone is seeking a warrant in Bartow County Court to have Lee and Teresa locked up for stalking.

“I was under the impression that I wasn’t supposed to be scared of the police, but this officer…he’s trying to poke at me, trying to intimidate me, trying to harass me,†Lee said. “I live here, I can’t retreat, I can’t go no further back. I mean, what am I to do?â€

According to the warrant affidavit filed by Officer Perrone, he says the Sipples did harass him by sending his employer multiple e-mails in an effort to get him in trouble. Kennesaw Police say they are investigating and have counseled Perrone before for improperly flashing his badge at the Sipples. A judge will here Perrone’s stalking application February 14.
It will be VERY interesting to see how the judge handles these charges. I hope he does the right thing and throws them right out while telling the cop to follow the laws he is sworn to enforce.

I guess you could call me a dreamer...

·
68,872 Posts
Stalking?

O.C.G.A. 16-5-90

(a)(1) A person commits the offense of stalking when he or she follows, places under surveillance, or contacts another person at or about a place or places without the consent of the other person for the purpose of harassing and intimidating the other person. For the purpose of this article, the terms "computer" and "computer network" shall have the same meanings as set out in Code Section 16-9-92; the term "contact" shall mean any communication including without being limited to communication in person, by telephone, by mail, by broadcast, by computer, by computer network, or by any other electronic device; and the place or places that contact by telephone, mail, broadcast, computer, computer network, or any other electronic device is deemed to occur shall be the place or places where such communication is received. For the purpose of this article, the term "place or places" shall include any public or private property occupied by the victim other than the residence of the defendant. For the purposes of this article, the term "harassing and intimidating" means a knowing and willful course of conduct directed at a specific person which causes emotional distress by placing such person in reasonable fear for such person's safety or the safety of a member of his or her immediate family, by establishing a pattern of harassing and intimidating behavior, and which serves no legitimate purpose. This Code section shall not be construed to require that an overt threat of death or bodily injury has been made.

Can this possibly meet the bolded portion?

Unless there is some physical threat not reported in the story (and there might be, we don't know), this Kennesaw officer ought to be immediately fired. If his department has already had to counsel him once, I can guess who is the problem here. I already sent my email to the Kennesaw P.D. Hopefully they won't take a warrant out on me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did you by chance see a video on the internet a year or so back of the cops at the car accident scene?

A guy had an accident occur a few houses down from him; an officer had rear-ended a guy and was trying to get out of it. The guy got a video camera and stood on his lawn zooming in and taping the incident. The cops saw this, and came up to him and demanded he go back in his house or they'd arrest him! I think they tried to take his camera, too! :shock:

Figures, though.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Kennesaw officer withdraws complaint against Sipples

Rhonda Barnett
Staff Writer
Published February 15, 2007 12:15 AM CST

The Kennesaw officer who sought the arrest of a Bartow County couple in regard to them recording his vehicle with a camera and radar gun dropped his complaint Wednesday in Bartow magistrate court.

Officer Richard Perrone alleged that Lee and Teresa Sipple stalked him after they purchased $1,200 in video surveillance and radar equipment that allegedly tracked Perrone speeding past their home, which lies at the end of a steep hill, up to 17 miles over the speed limit.

The Sipples have e-mailed Perrone several times in regard to the matter.

Before the proceedings, Perrone and the Sipples' attorney, Edward McAfee, requested a meeting in chambers with Chief Magistrate Thomas Mosley, and then Perrone wanted to meet in private with the Sipples, who turned him down as they looked at their two-and-a-half-year-old son who they say serves as the basis for their actions.

According to the Sipples' attorney, Perrone wanted to meet to request that the couple stop e-mailing him, but only a superior court judge can enforce restrictions of this nature.

Perrone told the couple in front of Mosley, "I would like to withdraw my warrant application for arrest."

For the full story, please read The Daily Tribune News. Call 770-382-4545 to subscribe.

·
68,872 Posts
Hooray! :woohoo: =D>

But I'd still fire him for trying it in the first place.

·
Registered
824 Posts
That cops do this is no real surprise, but...

$1,200 for cameras... What's a speedbump cost, $3K? How about a nice little white picket fence?

I have speed "busy bodies" in my neighborhood. Old ladies that flap their arms wildly at me as I cruise by at 22 in a 25. This on a 50 foot long road that doglegs. The fastest I can go and still reasonably make my turn is 27.

Kudos for getting actual speed recorded, but it seems as though their problem could have been solved, rather than just documented.

·
Registered
780 Posts
lsu_nonleg said:
$1,200 for cameras... What's a speedbump cost, $3K? How about a nice little white picket fence?
How about expecting the cops to obey the same laws us "peons" must obey?
Is that too much to ask or is the "rule of law" as dead as our Constitution?

·
Registered
824 Posts
They're above the law, much like city aldermen in GFW locales like Chicago :) .

I'm not giddy that cops are disobeying posted speed limits. But... If you have the means to make a choice between independently solving your problem (speedbump, picket fence) and buying equipment to record the evidence after the fact, it seems as it would be more in one's self interest to solve your problem. After all, none of this "cops disobeying the law and attempting to harass us" is going to protect their child from the damned teenagers blazing along at 45 up the street. They could take up a collection and hire an off duty cop to set up a speed trap 4 hours a week, but that's still not going to protect their child much more effectively. What happens if someone re-surveys the road and they determine a safe speed limit is really 35 or 40?

To be fair, it may be a bad-cop story disguised by reporting as one of they prototypical harping on "speeders" in neighborhoods.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I disagree.
Citizen breaks law, citizen pays price.

Cop breaks same law, cop pays same price.

Anything less is condoning an elitist society. We have enough of that in government as it is.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
MP, wasn't there a case a while back about some cops trying to prosecute some drug dealers under the PatAct because the dealers had some sort of camera at their front door. The police knew this but still allowed themselves to be video taped just so they could bring the charges?

Good god those are some terribly structured sentences, but I'm too lazy to go back and fix them right now.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Everybody (except the Sipples apparently...) knows that cops don't get busted for speeding. It just doesn't happen. Those people are acting downright unAmerican. They should be locked up.

When a properly sworn LEO can't break the speed limit with impunity, there's something seriously wrong!

I say the judge should throw their asses not only in jail, but under the jail and never let them out!!!

The nerve of those people...

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
After reading stuff like this I think there are a small number of cops causing the good ones an awfull lot of trouble. Evidence the comments posted here and on some of the other boards.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Wiley said:
After reading stuff like this I think there are a small number of cops causing the good ones an awfull lot of trouble. Evidence the comments posted here and on some of the other boards.
I have come into contact with many LEOs and the :censored: is the one I remember most.

The good actions of the others certainly over-compensate for bad actions of the :censored: LEO, but he is always the first I remember.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
It's like in food service.

If you wrong the customer then bring them back in they will always be more loyal then the person you gave great service to.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Love this story....

Nothing like trying to stick it to the man.

Cops bewilder me. I have met some that I absolutely love and have befriended and others well, I won't comment.

I had one the other day try to intimidate me with his "glare". He had the exit of the local CVS partially blocked for no apparent emergency reason. I tried to back up and go out the other way but another car was behind me and they started blowing their horn at me! The cop looked up at me and gave me an eat poopoo look like I was the one blowing my horn it him. He moved his car the two feet that I needed to clear. I just looked back at him and didn't break eye contact with until I had passed. It is a wonder he didn't pull out and try to shake me down.

For all of you LEO that read this....I tried to respect his space and back away but I was blocked in by another motorist that began honking at me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts