Cop told me i couldn't keep my gun under my seat?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Seanmay11, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Seanmay11

Seanmay11 Guest

I have a Ga Firearms License and i was pulled over other day and had my pistol under my seat. He told me that even with the permit i could only keep my gun in the glove box or on the seat and that it had to be in a holster, cant i keep my gun anywhere in the car? and why does it have to be in a holster if i dont have it on me and its just in the car

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

What is the officer's name, and for which department does he work?

3. rvaughn1

rvaughn1 New Member

Hi.

I believe that you can carry, in this state, in your vehicle in any manner with a GFL.

4. ber950

ber950 Active Member

16-11-126

5. Sharky

Sharky New Member

hence why I carry a copy of the entire law in my truck! I have it stowed in the center console right under the spare mag!

6. Malum Prohibitum

Or just say, "Well, then, arrest me, if you think you have a charge, rookie!"

:lol:

7. Seanmay11

Seanmay11 Guest

It was Conyers Police Department, I do not have his name i was pulled over for loud music in a parking lot.

8. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

This is a good idea. Has anyone put together a good print ready copy of all applicable code sections? Can you purchase a code book anywhere? I just wonder if you showed a LEO something you printed off your officejet if he would even believe you anyway. I guess it would at least give him somewhere to start looking in his book to verify the facts.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Turn it down! :lol:

10. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

My question is how did he know there was a gun under your seat?

11. Seanmay11

Seanmay11 Guest

it actually wasn't turned up all that loud for what its capable of. I have about $2K in my stereo system. I mean i know it was way to loud but i wanted to listen to it lol. It was my fault i was stopped but still i have the right to keep my gun anywhere in my car

12. Malum Prohibitum

Well, if you have a car capable of going 200 mph, the speed limit is still . . .

:lol:

Sounds like you did not get a ticket, or you would know his name. Anyway, yes, you knew the law and the officer did not. But, since he did not arrest you, that means he must not have been confident that he was correct, or maybe he adopted the position that he would tell you what he thought was the law but would not arrest somebody with a firearms license for what he saw as a technical violation with no dangerous intent.

13. Seanmay11

Seanmay11 Guest

yes i know it was still illegal to have my radio up that loud and you are probably right he wasn't sure about it being illegal where my gun was and just was telling me his opinion. And about the 200mph thing i my sport bike is capable of that i haven't went 200 but have been very close lol. That is why i dont drive that bike on the street anymore though i get in to much trouble on it, its a track bike now

14. Malum Prohibitum

:shock:

15. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

So how did he know there was a gun in the car?

16. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

Oh no. MP is setting you up to be Tazered!

17. Seanmay11

Seanmay11 Guest

He asked if i had any weapons or drugs in my car, i thought you had to tell them you had a gun

18. GACop

GACop Member

It is a nice courtesy but not required. I understand the actions of some officers have made a lot of regular people hesitant to tell.

It is required in some other states though.

19. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

"That's none of your business. Am I free to go now?"

20. Seanmay11

Seanmay11 Guest

really, i didn't know that i thought i had to tell, guess i wont be doing that anymore, i know i can refuse for them to search my car, what can they do about that?