Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tragic shooting out of Colorado. Mental case cop hater stalks a cop, shoots and kills him with a 12ga shotgun, returns to his truck to retrieve an AR-15 rifle, gets confronted, shot and killed by a good Samaritan with a handgun, good Samaritan picks up cop killer's rifle and is shot and killed by responding officers. Moral of the story for us gunnies - never, ever pick up the bad guy's weapon.

Reactions: UtiPossidetis

·
Man of Myth and Legend
17,301 Posts
Moral of the story for us gunnies - never, ever pick up the bad guy's weapon.

And holster or pocket yours asap keeping your hands visible until the 4th (or so) cop has arrived and you inform them of armaments.

Nemo

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
29,299 Posts
Yeah, this is a sad series of mistakes by both the armed good guy and, I assume, the responding cops.

It's ironic that the crazy cop-hating murderer (wannabe "mass murderer") thought that this department's cops deserved to die because they were trigger happy and had no regard for citizens' lives...

... and when the cops showed up after the gunfire broke out, the first thing they did was kill an innocent citizen!

It's as if the responding officers proved the cop-killer's point for him.

But, it might have been an excusable mistake on the part of those later-arriving cops, ESPECIALLY when they arrived to find dead bodies on the ground and an unidentified scruffy-looking guy holding an assault rifle with a 30-round mag.

In hindsight, the good guy should have holstered his own weapon, NOT touched the bad guy's weapon (or maybe just kicked it several yards away from the bad guy's reach), and started scanning the area for both other bad guys (sometimes mass-murderers are part of a team) and responding good guys.

·
Member Georgia Carry
12,411 Posts
A failure to maintain situational awareness throughout the entire incident by the good Samaritan.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
17,301 Posts
Posted in wrong thread.

Moved to proper place.

Nemo *

*sorry

·
Registered
15,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CNN is actually reporting it with some accuracy. But of courses, he being heavily armed and equipped has to be noted also.

Nemo

The CNN story isn't related to the OP story which took place in Colorado.

·
Registered
15,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But, it might have been an excusable mistake on the part of those later-arriving cops, ESPECIALLY when they arrived to find dead bodies on the ground and an unidentified scruffy-looking guy holding an assault rifle with a 30-round mag.
I guess the question is whether this second cop just opened up on Hurley without saying anything or whether he shouted for Hurley to drop the rifle and Hurley's reaction prompted his getting shot. There's not any further details on that part yet.

Reactions: Clark

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I guess the question is whether this second cop just opened up on Hurley without saying anything or whether he shouted for Hurley to drop the rifle and Hurley's reaction prompted his getting shot. There's not any further details on that part yet.
That's my question as well. Did they hear "cop shot" and come in guns blazing mowing down everything that still stood? Or did they stop to tell him to drop it? It's possible, though hard to believe that the samaritan would be holding the rifle in a firing position, but of course, that may not have been able to be easily seen when the responding officers rolled up.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Tragic shooting out of Colorado. Mental case cop hater stalks a cop, shoots and kills him with a 12ga shotgun, returns to his truck to retrieve an AR-15 rifle, gets confronted, shot and killed by a good Samaritan with a handgun, good Samaritan picks up cop killer's rifle and is shot and killed by responding officers. Moral of the story for us gunnies - never, ever pick up the bad guy's weapon.

·
Super Moderator
72,237 Posts

·
Super Moderator
72,237 Posts

·
PawPaw x 3
9,035 Posts
That is going to be a tough one to win, simply because the defendant is a police officer. If the defendant was you, it would be a slam dunk for the plaintiff. Not so in this case.
Justice in America? Yours is a succinct indicting comment about the devolution of justice in America. Not what our forefathers intended.

·
Super Moderator
72,237 Posts
Justice in America? Yours is a succinct indicting comment about the devolution of justice in America. Not what our forefathers intended.
Agreed, but I am not sure what to do about it. It seems that the more conservative a person is, the more likely that he will harbor this bias in favor of police officers.

·
PawPaw x 3
9,035 Posts
Agreed, but I am not sure what to do about it. It seems that the more conservative a person is, the more likely that he will harbor this bias in favor of police officers.
You are correct I am afraid. It also seems that the more liberal a person is, the more likely the he will harbor bias against police officers.

·
Super Moderator
72,237 Posts
You are correct I am afraid. It also seems that the more liberal a person is, the more likely the he will harbor bias against police officers.
Only the freaks and weirdos out on the fringe that we see on the news. Take your local elementary school teacher. Odds are she is practically a Marxist, votes Democrat, and thinks cops are special and should be the only ones with guns. Throw in the criminal mass shooter aspect of this case, and she is quite likely to conclude that this cop acted correctly. She probably thinks the innocent man should not have been carrying a weapon and is a vigilante.

·
Super Moderator
72,237 Posts
And I will volunteer this. The officer's testimony, it sounds like, is going to be, I received an active shooter call. I could hear shots. I could hear folks screaming. I saw dead bodies. I came to where folks pointed out the shooter. There I saw the deceased, with a rifle. He was taking out the magazine to reload. I took this great opportunity to drop him.

Makes sense?

There is no requirement that the officer, or you, for that matter, wait until a mass shooter reloads and points at you to give him a sporting chance.

The deceased was not thinking about how it might look to others. He may not have even known the officer was there.

So if this is the facts with which you are presented as a jury, do you hold the officer liable? Would you even hold a common lowly peasant of a citizen liable for the same?

This may not even get past qualified immunity (officer only).

I do not know that those are the facts. I am just putting together some of the stuff I have been reading about what happened.

·
Super Moderator
72,237 Posts
Merged two threads on same subject.

Surprisingly little discussion for an incident like this. I would have expected this topic to light up here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts