Cop Charged for Leaving Police Dog in Hot Car

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Mafuta54, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295890,00.html

2. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I am in no way defending this officer. He should be prosecuted.

However, I just wanted to point out that it is common practice to leave police canines in the vehicle, even on hot or cold days. The key here is that the vehicles are usually left running with the appropriate climate controls operating and the vehicle is properly ventilated (open window, etc.). This is often the more humane thing to do, even though it doesn't appear as such.

A canine officer lives across the street from me and he often does this. The back of his patrol car is not set up like a normal patrol car with a back seat. The size is not too much different than the outside kennel the department provides, however, the car is climate controlled.

.....well, so long as the officer remembers to leave the car running. I am assuming that is what this officer did. He likely left the dog in the car (article says he parked it around 9:30am) and then forgot to go back and start the engine and A/C when the heat started rising.

Stupid mistake, unintentional, still not excusable.

3. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Yeh, most K-9 officers I have known have a pretty tight bond with their animal. I can't see an officer purposely harming his K-9 dog.

4. VolGrad

You have to have that bond, they are your sometimes your life line.

My experiences with raising dogs is in no way comparable to a police canine, however, having raised two assistance dogs the bonds you form with an animal you are with 24/7 are truly indescribable. Our dogs were with me 24/7 from about 2 months of age until about a year and a half. They went everywhere with me - EVERYWHERE. I would be inconsolable if I had caused the death of one of my dogs.

5. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Sad :cry: . I know he didn't do it on purpose. As stated before most K-9 officers, i'm sure love there animals. Most likely as stated he simply made a mistake and as the sheriff stated, it is fair he is being treated like anyone else in a similiar situation.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

As it should be.

7. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

That was the purpose of my original post! :lol: Sheriff Arpaio doesn't give preferential treatment to anyone because they are LEO! 8)

8. M249

M249 New Member

My uncle loved his K9, and adopted her after she "retired." I think he would have lost his marbles if he had killed her. :(

9. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I'm fairly confident the officer just screwed up and didn't intend to harm his partner. One of the cops at the Cobb County show had a K-9, who was in the car most of the day - with the A/C running! He was very careful to take care of his dog.

This is no different than parents who leave toddlers in hot cars. Not intentional and, while understandable, not forgivable.

10. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Our family was friends with a Baton Rouge K9 cop and his family back when I was in Jr. high. His dog got killed in the line of duty (the dog actually saved his life IIRC) and he was devastated. They really do have a tight bond with their dogs. That dog was sorely missed by his whole family.

11. VolGrad

Similar story but closer to home. From todays AJC - Acworth PD.

12. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

Our K9 vehicle is equipped with a climate system that has its own thermometer that will activate fans or the AC if needed. It will also lower the power windows on its own (cage on inside of window).

I wonder if the officer in this case either made a bonehead mistake or something went wrong with the equipment.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:cry:

Officer Kicks K-9 Partner to Death

14. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

This makes me sad. :(