Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Sentient Member
1,820 Posts
[s:2lwqoql6]This should be moved into Firearm Related, since Coolray Field is not an Off-Limits place by state law.[/s:2lwqoql6]

Disregard the above. I was speaking based on the title of this sub-forum, but the description further reads, "Discussion of whether particular places in Ga. are or are not off-limits for carry."

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Yes, last week. Warrantless searching of purses and bags for outside food. I didn't have to empty my pockets, or lift my shirt. . . no metal detectors. . . PM me for any additional details, but I think this post was pretty clear. Going next Tuesday.

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts
http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/showthread.php?t=260150

No issues whatsoever on that visit. I didn't see any metal detectors, wands, or anything like that at any entrance. They only check bags.

Also, Gwinnett County owns the stadium. As of July 1, it is not legal for the county, stadium, team, or any other entity to prohibit GWCL holders from carrying into the stadium. I would not expect the contracted bag checkers or their bosses to know this (or, if they do know it, not to violate it anyway).

·
Member Georgia Carry
13,010 Posts
How long ago? SB432 was passed in 2012 giving state preemption to the carrying of knives.

I was turned away prior to 7/1 for a knife, of course they never noticed the j frame I was carrying!

·
Member Georgia Carry
13,010 Posts
Verified today that no government entity is housed there at Coolray Stadium. As far as it goes it is a Public Park, and weapons carry (guns, knives, etc...) is legal. Just because a private entity is the manager, does not mean they can ban weapons per HB 60.

Spoke with the Director there today, and he seemed like a reasonable person. He offered to bring up the matter with Gwinnett County to see if it's so. Good on him for not dismissing it out of hand.

The Director indicated it was a Braves policy to ban weapons. I guess the Braves will soon learn they must follow state law like everyone else.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Verified today that no government entity is housed there at Coolray Stadium. As far as it goes it is a Public Park, and weapons carry (guns, knives, etc...) is legal. Just because a private entity is the manager, does not mean they can ban weapons per HB 60.

Spoke with the Director there today, and he seemed like a reasonable person. He offered to bring up the matter with Gwinnett County to see if it's so. Good on him for not dismissing it out of hand.

The Director indicated it was a Braves policy to ban weapons. I guess the Braves will soon learn they must follow state law like everyone else.
With all they have starting to go bad for them in Cobb, the last thing they'll want to do is let it get out and known that they're violating state law. So hopefully they'll back down quickly.

·
Member Georgia Carry
13,010 Posts
Interesting analysis, hope you're right. I have a feeling that are not that long-sighted. They might try to have someone arrested for open carrying a pistol at a game, but will then learn from the subsequent lawsuit that was not a good idea.

I really do hope they will just obey state law and avoid the bad publicity and cost of getting sued and losing in court.

Braves, are you listening?

With all they have starting to go bad for them in Cobb, the last thing they'll want to do is let it get out and known that they're violating state law. So hopefully they'll back down quickly.

·
Member Georgia Carry
13,010 Posts
Just now sent this email:

Dear Assistant Chief West,

Thank you for taking time out of your day last Monday to speak me on the phone regarding carrying a firearm at Gwinnett Stadium - which is PUBLIC property.

Although I wish you would have answered whether or not I would be arrested for peacefully carrying my firearm there as a person who holds a Georgia Weapons License, it was reassuring that you stated you understood Georgia's new weapons law fully, and that all of your officers had received training on the new law.

If you were being accurate in that statement, then there should be no issues with me peacefully and lawfully open carrying my pistol at Gwinnett Stadium (Coolray Field) to watch the game with my son this Friday night, August 29th.

Lines 127 - 134 of HB 60 removes public property from the table for private entities that lease or rent public property, because the word "property" was changed to "private property" three times. This should make it crystal clear that the Braves cannot forbid legally carried weapons at Gwinnett Stadium, which is owned by Gwinnett County, ie, the tax-payers.

State law allows me to carry in ALL places in the state except such places that are defined by state law as off-limits. Publicly owned land and publicly owned buildings are not on that list, except for courthouses, and certain government buildings that have limited ingress security screenings AND that meet the definition of the weapons code in state law. Gwinnett Stadium does not house any government entities, therefore it does not qualify as a "government building".

As a courtesy for my first visit, if asked by an officer, I will show both my ID and my weapons license, but I will not consent to be detained more than the few moments it will take to read my ID and weapons license, and I will limit that time by asking to be free to go when I determine that enough time has passed. I will not consent to any searches or seizures beyond voluntarily showing those two items.

Should it be your intent to have me arrested, you should know that violating state preemption law as well as my rights under both the Constitutions of Georgia and that of the United States will be prosecutorial as well as civil offenses that are not covered by your qualified immunity.

Best regards,

Phil

1 - 20 of 66 Posts