Cook Cty (Chicago) IL proposal to tax bullets

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Macktee, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Macktee

Macktee New Member

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/2 ... 08.article

County takes a shot at 10-cent-a-bullet tax

February 8, 2007

BY STEVE PATTERSON Staff Reporter

What could be the nation's first tax on bullets is being floated as a way to help balance Cook County's budget.

Commissioner Roberto Maldonado wants to slap a 10-cent-a-bullet tax on those buying ammunition in the county. It's one of dozens of plans offered to close the county's $500 million budget deficit.

The plan comes as the County Board raids the Forest Preserve District for $13 million, demands millions more from state government and considers slapping fees on SUVs, towed cars and other items. It's all being discussed to try to lessen the impact of thousands of job cuts, as proposed by Board President Todd Stroger.

Stroger said he'll listen to any ideas to increase fees but wouldn't change his commitment to a no-tax pledge.

Quigley blasts Stroger
    As the county nears a Feb.28 budget deadline, tension is building, and Stroger launched into his first public shouting match Wednesday, accusing Commissioner Mike Quigley, an ally, of scheming to "stab me in the back."

Quigley blasted Stroger for encouraging the $3 billion county government to raid the $167 million forest preserves budget to close his gap. Both governments are controlled by County Board members.

But Stroger said it's simply a payback on $13 million in help the county government gave the struggling forest preserves five years ago. There was huge debate about whether that was a gift or a loan, but most of the board sided with Stroger and approved the transfer.

'Lateral tax hike'
    "The bank managers became the bank robbers today," said Benjamin Cox of Friends of the Forest Preserves.

Quigley told Stroger "from here we part," as he was peeved over a property tax increase the board approved for the forest preserves just months ago, coupled with learning Wednesday the district has a $66 million surplus. Forest preserves officials gave $13 million of the surplus funds back to the county board, and said the district wouldn't miss it.

Quigley said transferring those funds is "a lateral tax hike" and Stroger loses "all credibility" for future tax increases. Stroger fired back that Quigley will "stand with me one day and talk about me the next." Although Stroger won that battle, more are sure to come as the county struggles to balance its budget.

Maldonado said an ammo tax "is as close as possible to a sin tax" and could bring in more than $250,000 a year.

A National Rifle Association official urged the County Board to look elsewhere for funds.

THE BULLET POINTS
    A look at how much of an effect a fee on bullets would have - from small fries to big shots:

10 cents: Deputy Barney Fife, if he bought his own police-issued bullet and was able to join the Cook County Sheriff's Department.

$50: Terry "Tank" Johnson, if the Bears defensive tackle made the trip across the county line for the 500 rounds of ammunition allegedly found in his Lake County home.

$530,368: If every person in Cook County, 5,303,683 according to 2005 U.S. Census estimates, were to do his or her part and buy one bullet.

$600,000,000: From the U.S. military, if Cook County could get its 10-cent fee for the average 1.5 billion rounds of small arms ammunition used each year of the nearly four years of the Iraq war.

2. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

That seems like a dumb idea in light of their recent ban on magazines that hold more than 10 rounds...

EDIT: Let me add that I am ashamed of the fact that I was born there.

3. Foul

Foul New Member

That could make a "Boston Tea Party" type incident VERY interesting... :shock:

4. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I think I would just go shopping in another county.
    It's not like ammo shopping is something that can't be done once every month or two in a big batch. I hear that ammo doesn't go bad...
    I'd just make a quick trip to the next county, drop a few Benjamins for what I need & then cruise back home and laugh about a stupid tax... :roll:

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Logical argument time.

1. Cook county wants to tax bullets.
      [/*:m:1l678k3l]
    2. Bullets are integral to, and inseparable from, (fire)arms.
    3. The Constitution to the United States of America has an amendment that says in part "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
    4. Through the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment of the Federal Constitution, the Bill of Rights apply to the states.
    5. McCulloch v. Maryland, which was decided by the Supreme Court of the US, held that "the power to tax involves the power to destroy."
    6. The principle of vertical stare decisis holds that lower courts are bound by the decisions of higher courts.[/*:m:1l678k3l]

6. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Hey Facto:

Ipso this. Bullets are already subject to tax. Sales tax. Ya wanna try to get them exempted using your nicely thought out argument? If so, I'm betting you lose!

I'm also betting you drive some of your instructors to drink....

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

But a sales tax is broad and nonspecific.

A tax on bullets is specific.

I haven't driven a teacher to drinking yet, I have driven one insane.

She wrote "hafe life" on the board when it should have been half life. I raised my hand and said she misspelled the word half and then she said "no I didn't. no I didn't. no I didn't" over and over. Then she hid under her desk and the assistant teacher had to take her to the office. She never came back that year, but someone told me she came back the following year.

8. Taler

Taler New Member

Heya Ramm,

I think you misspelled "n"ever.

Hehe

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Good catch. My spell checker was working, I just forgot to proof read.

10. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

You have to admire the tenacity of these liberals. They don't like the reality of economics so they continuously ignore the laws of supply and demand in the hopes that somehow they won't apply. Instead of extra revenue, they are gonna lose what revenue they did have from sales tax. It's as if the proverbial one-legged man in the butt-kicking contest doesn't believe in gravity.