1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Great article!

·
Custom User Title
2,067 Posts
A fantastic way to settle most of this arguing is for the Legislature and governor to pass and sign a two-pronged bill that would allow permit-less carry in all currently allowed locations (thus giving the "Constitutional Carry" crowd less infringements) and also would add GWCL holders to the exempted persons list in 16-11-130 of the Georgia Code (would add a tremendous value to the license by allowing license holders to carry in restricted areas).
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Excellent idea

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good. Just wondering, do non-uniformed "only ones" routinely have to show proof of their status to enter an otherwise restricted area?
I have a friend who is a probate judge. He has had to show his ID as a judge in a few areas (namely the state capitol), to gain entry with his firearm.

·
I watch the watchers
12,885 Posts
Sounds good. Just wondering, do non-uniformed "only ones" routinely have to show proof of their status to enter an otherwise restricted area?
If 'non-uniformed only ones' means anyone besides a uniformed law enforcement officer then, yes...
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-137
Required possession of weapons carry license or proof of exemption when carrying a weapon; detention for investigation of carrying permit

(a) Every license holder shall have his or her valid weapons carry license in his or her immediate possession at all times when carrying a weapon,

or if such person is exempt from having a weapons carry license pursuant to Code Section 16-11-130 or subsection (c) of Code Section 16-11-127.1, he or she shall have proof of his or her exemption in his or her immediate possession at all times when carrying a weapon, and his or her failure to do so shall be prima-facie evidence of a violation of the applicable provision of Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2.
Fortunately, the penalty for not having such proof in one's possession is the same as the penalty for not having a GWL in one's possession (at least to the best of my reading).

·
I watch the watchers
12,885 Posts
Well, same section of Code has a sub-paragraph that prohibits being stopped merely to check for said license or exemption. That said, I don't think that an exempt person is going to be allowed into a jail, courthouse or nuclear power facility without being challenged and, if refusing to show proof of exemption, being turned away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts