Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some may know I have been working a a bill I hope to get introduced. I am open to suggestions as to any additions, deletions or proof readings. The current text of the bill can be found at

http://seajayservices.com/newbill.pdf

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
So the license becomes a true concealed carry license. Isn't the license an infringement?

Given everything else, I could live with that, but following (h) (1), on the last page, shouldn't that read "No person shall carry a concealed weapon......"?

·
Registered
277 Posts
What about adding a provision to prevent the unlawful seizure of weapons from peaceful law-abiding citizens during a declared state of emergency such as was in SB 291?

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CountryGun said:
So the license becomes a true concealed carry license. Isn't the license an infringement?

Given everything else, I could live with that, but following (h) (1), on the last page, shouldn't that read "No person shall carry a concealed weapon......"?
The Georgia Constitution gives the GA the power to prescribe the manor in which you can carry. It doesn't give the power to say you can't carry at all. Given that yes it should read concealed and does now.

Thanks!!!

I'm sure there are other things that need correcting as well.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gman said:
What about adding a provision to prevent the unlawful seizure of weapons from peaceful law-abiding citizens during a declared state of emergency such as was in SB 291?
You can bet that will get in there. It has been in every bill I have written since 2003. I never liked the "Roy is God bill" anyway and would like to see it completely gone but will be satisfied if we can just get the firearm part out for now.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
seajay said:
CountryGun said:

The Georgia Constitution gives the GA the power to prescribe the manor in which you can carry. It doesn't give the power to say you can't carry at all. Given that yes it should read concealed and does now.

Thanks!!!

To follow that, shouldn't "concealed" precede "weapon" in the next two sentences?

Also, I'm having trouble identifying "paragraph (1) of this subsection" as stated in (2) on the last page. It doesn't seem to be enumerated under Section 2. Probably just me.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CountryGun said:
seajay said:
CountryGun said:

Thanks!!!

To follow that, shouldn't "concealed" precede "weapon" in the next two sentences?

Also, I'm having trouble identifying "paragraph (1) of this subsection" as stated in (2) on the last page. It doesn't seem to be enumerated under Section 2. Probably just me.
Next two have been fixed...

It's just you.

Subsection (h) Paragraph 1 was the first one fixed.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,767 Posts
it should read:

a person may be allowed to carry any weapon into and at any location in this state except as follows: carry allowed into a courtroom unless locked storage is provided by the courthouse, the secure portions of jails/prisons where prisoners are housed secure storage must be provided. this code section shall not ban property owners from making rules for their property. no lessee shall make any rule on property owned or leased by any government entity. no political subdivision shall make any law because this is preempted by the Georgia Constitution any law in conflict with this code section is null and void. if any city passes any law to the contrary they shall be fined 10k per day and be responsible for any damages brought by harmed parties

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rmodel65 said:
it should read:

a person may be allowed to carry any weapon into and at any location in this state except as follows: carry allowed into a courtroom unless locked storage is provided by the courthouse, the secure portions of jails/prisons where prisoners are housed secure storage must be provided. this code section shall not ban property owners from making rules for their property. no lessee shall make any rule on property owned or leased by any government entity. no political subdivision shall make any law because this is preempted by the Georgia Constitution any law in conflict with this code section is null and void. if any city passes any law to the contrary they shall be fined 10k per day and be responsible for any damages brought by harmed parties
It might be a nice thought but if it could happen it wont be this year. I think most will agree that reasonable restrictions would be Courtrooms, lock ups and federal secured areas such as at the airport and other locations. Secure areas are not going to be allowed by the fed's and the state can't do a whole lot to change that.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,767 Posts
seajay said:
rmodel65 said:
it should read:

It might be a nice thought but if it could happen it wont be this year. I think most will agree that reasonable restrictions would be Courtrooms, lock ups and federal secured areas such as at the airport and other locations. Secure areas are not going to be allowed by the fed's and the state can't do a whole lot to change that.
principles of 98: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principles_of_%2798

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,855 Posts
seajay said:
As some may know I have been working a a bill I hope to get introduced. I am open to suggestions as to any additions, deletions or proof readings. The current text of the bill can be found at

I like it! Not perfect (concealed carry without a permit should be a given for a free people), but it's definiately an improvement over what we've got now. I'd vote yes on it!

Seajay, are you an elected official?

Thanks,

Phil

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Phil1979 said:
seajay said:

I like it! Not perfect (concealed carry without a permit should be a given for a free people), but it's definiately an improvement over what we've got now. I'd vote yes on it!

Seajay, are you an elected official?

Thanks,

Phil
I would really like to make the permit optional but it can't happen this go round. The best we can hope for is to make it a concealed carry permit and open carry legal without one..

No I am not an elected official at this time. I am planning a run for the State Senate next election to try and get Doug Stoner's seat. Still in the early stages but I have been considering it for a while now and I think I am ready to go for it.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Priorities for 2011 should be:

1) Places of worship should not be off-limits.
2) Open carry without a permit.
3) Fix the knife problems in our law, statewide non-firearm weapon preemption, even if preemption only applies to GWL holders. Something.
4) "Katrina" bill.
5) Fixing the Atlanta airport "problem."
6) Stopping any new restrictions.
7) Our "hail marry" should be college carry.
8 ) Clarify government building that are off-limits for the better.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,889 Posts
GAGunOwner said:

3) Fix the knife problems in our law, statewide non-firearm weapon preemption, even if preemption only applies to GWL holders. Something.
4) "Katrina" bill.
Government building buildings needs to be changed to Government offices or to secured areas of Government buildings.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Adam5 said:
GAGunOwner said:

4) "Katrina" bill.
8 ) Clarify government building that are off-limits for the better.
Government building buildings needs to be changed to Government offices or to secured areas of Government buildings.
Agreed but there are some people in the government that squirm at the thought of "average Joes" being able to carry into their offices. But again, I agree with you. Our current law certainly needs to be clarified.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Need another hb615!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts