Considering XD9-Slim

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by GAfirearmsReference, Jun 29, 2018.

1. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

960CB020-4AA3-4DE9-9A34-D7FFF20BF7F1.jpeg 97DD84FA-D944-480E-BFE0-8C34EB3009F1.jpeg I have a medium sized 9mm (12 + 1 capacity) and this S&W .38 snubby as my two daily carry guns (one or the orher, not both at the same time!)

I like everything about the J-frame Smith except the ammo capacity. 5 rounds is just "adequate" for one adversary, I think. What if I am threatened by 2, or 3?

So, I've long been thinking about a slim, stubby-gripped 9mm that holds more rounds.

Today I saw this.

Springfield XD9s, the slim 9mm with a single stack mag. (8 + 1 ) capacity.

It feels great in my hand.
    Flat-base mags would make it even more concealable, but the one shown with the pinky extension base is what it takes to get all my fat fingers on the gun.
    (Although my .38 wears "boot grip" type stocks that aren't long enough to place my pinky finger on, either, and with practice I can still shoot fast and reasonably accurately.)

BONUS FACTOR:
    This XD slim is a used gun, can be had for only $419, and COMES WITH A LASER! A Crimson Trace laser unit that has the momentary-contact switch in just the right place.

(My S&W snubby also has laser grips, with the same button location).

What do y'all think?
    Should I upgrade?
    I do need the new gun to be small enough for pocket carry.
    I do that a lot in the summer.

2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Stick with metal guns. I gave up plastic ones when I was 10.

Nemo

3. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

The XDs is a great gun.

4. Archangel

The XDs is a great gun.

5. Nemo

It may be but alot of plastic there.

Nemo

6. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

When I was looking at Single Stack 9s the Walther PPS, Glock 43(?), and The Taurus Slim (yes, Taurus) were the only ones to survive the 600+ round test with no malfunctions. I also test fired 8-9 SS 9s and found the PPS to be the most like a FS weapon when I was shooting but <1in wide. It also comes with 6-7-8 round mags. Choose what you want (obviously) but you might try a PPS before purchasing.

7. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I looked at the XD-slim but ultimately went with the Walther PPS. I just liked how it fit in my hand a little better. With that said, I own a full size XDm 9mm (double stack, 4.5") and have put a lot of rounds through it with no issues.

8. GAfirearmsReference

The PPS looks good, and it's not an expensive gun. $389 new. A Crimson Trace laser with the activation button on the weapon's grip frame is available, BUT that's another $180 for the red laser, or $280 for the much more visible GREEN laser.

So that would make a similarly- equipped Walther PPS make my wallet $200 lighter than buying this Springy XDS 9mm would.

Decisions, decisions.

9. GAfirearmsReference

Well, I'm going to say "no" to any of the single-stack slim 9mm pistols, simply because none of them are appreciably smaller than a gun that I currently own, and like, and shoot well with-- a double stack Taurus millennium G2 , with a stainless steel slide and barrel.

My PT-111 G2 weighs 23 oz. empty.
    Thats exactly the same as the Springer XDs. (Without the laser unit).

My Taurus is 6.3" in length. Exactly the same, again!

Height is 5.0" for the XDs with the extended base mag that gives my pinky a little bit of real estate.
    That's only 0.1" shorter than the Taurus, which the factory says is 5.10" tall.

(If I chose a 7-rd flush fit mag for the slim XD, the height would be 4.4"-- probably not worth it to lose the pinky's extra gripping power.

Width is the only real difference:
    Taurus Millennium G2 is 1.2" wide, and the XDs is only 0.9. And that reduction of .3 of an inch is noticeable.

The Taurus holds 12 in the mag, and that compares to 7 or 9 in the flush single stack mags. So I'm getting something useful for my extra width.

D335164A-3E03-4687-A167-28B498F8CAAC.png

My Taurus has a sweet short trigger pull. Quite light. I'd estimate 4.5 lbs.

That's a real advantage at the range, or when trying a head shot at 15 or 20 yards.

But, it's a disadvantage in that I can't carry it loose in my pocket without the safety engaged.
    I'd have to get a pocket holster for it that covers the trigger (and that adds thickness!)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    UtiPossidetis likes this.
  10. Archangel

But it's a Taurus...

:runaway::hide:

{I couldn't resist}

:devil:

11. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

I bought a used shield 45 from a buddy after shooting it. He is a decent pistol shooter but it wasn't a fit for him. I shoot this gun better than any other gun this size that I've tried.
    Shield vs pt 111
    Weight 20.5 oz vs 23 oz...significant
    Height 4.88" with the 6 round mag vs 5.10"
    Length 6.45" vs. 6.3" Taurus wins
    Width .99" vs 1.2"
    Capacity....taurus has it all over the shield.

And last
    Smith and Wesson vs Taurus.....................................................................:)

12. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

It comes down to usage (at least it did for me). The PPS is primarily a BUG for me - rarely is it my primary carry, so things like lasers weren’t critical (although I use just the regular sights even in my primary carries).

13. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

The shorter grip with flush magazines like on the Glock 43, Walther PPS and XDs help significantly with front pocket carry. I have a Shield 9 and even with the flush 7 round mag it is pretty tough to front pocket carry. I have a couple pairs of pants with front pockets large enough to get the grip past the pocket opening. Every .10 of an inch helps with pocket carry and ankle carry too.

UtiPossidetis likes this.
  14. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

This is one of the reasons that I sold my Shield a few days ago. This afternoon I’m picking up a Colt Mustang XSP to replace it for pocket carry.

15. Nemo

Best reason for that is 4 letters. Colt. Nuff said.

Nemo

Adam5 likes this.