Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Yeah and it sounds like, based on the initially reported number of rounds fired, that a large capacity magazine rifle may have been used, so just wait for the screams of "assault weapons ban" to come...

Sounds like the Congressman will be ok. Two capital police officers also shot - one took down the shooter. Shooter is in custody and still alive.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Let's start a pool on how soon Kamala Harris proposes Freedom Rifle Ban.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Rand Paul (who was on the scene) claimed that he heard 50 or 60 shots. Said that the baseball field was 'a perfect killing field'. Sited a significant pause between first shot and the volley that happened afterward. Supposedly the shooter asked people if it was Democrats or Republicans on the field before he departed the field and returned with the rifle.

Apparently, if Scalise was there (as per Rand Paul), there would have been no Capital Police/security detail and there would have been a lot more victims.

·
69,784 Posts
I listened to Mo Brooks (Ala) interviewed on the radio this morning. He complained that it was not good to have somebody shooting at you and be defenseless with nothing to shoot back. He complained about the slow response of the security team (I am sure they responded as quickly as they could engage the threat) and then praised the security team's bravery.

He said he saw the shooter only for "a second," but he was a white male, middle aged, not thin or overweight.

That is all he had to say that is not just a rehash of what others have to say.

One other point that is not being reported much - this was a GOP event. All Republicans.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
I listened to Mo Brooks (Ala) interviewed on the radio this morning. He complained that it was not good to have somebody shooting at you and be defenseless with nothing to shoot back. He complained about the slow response of the security team (I am sure they responded as quickly as they could engage the threat) and then praised the security team's bravery.

He said he saw the shooter only for "a second," but he was a white male, middle aged, not thin or overweight.

That is all he had to say that is not just a rehash of what others have to say.

One other point that is not being reported much - this was a GOP event. All Republicans.
Arizona Senator Jeff Flake said the same thing, as did Rand Paul, in regards in being defenseless and not able to shoot back. In terms of the response, I'm sure the Capital Police returned fire as soon as possible by Jeff Flake said that the shooter had a tactical position in a dugout, making it very difficult to return any fire.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Re. Brad Wenstrup said that shooter moved a couple of times for cover and eventually transitioned into a pistol and came out into the open.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
News is now claiming a second congressman, Re. Roger Williams, was also shot.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scalise had a team of about 4 for security and returned fire...that will most certainly contribute to the "high number" of shots heard. Hearing two capital officers shot, a staffer and a security member also shot.

·
69,784 Posts
Jeff Flake said that the shooter had a tactical position in a dugout, making it very difficult to return any fire.
Mo Brooks corrected the interviewer that said the same thing to him and said the shooter was behind the dugout, using it for cover, not in the dugout.

·
69,784 Posts
So does this result in renewed interest in a AWB? Conversions on the Republican side to "see the light" about a ban now they they have been on the receiving end of an attack?

·
69,784 Posts
I have to say that the shooter must have piss poor skills, given the result. He had the initiative, surprise, and a long rifle against human targets on a field with no cover.

I am very thankful that most of these mass shooter people do not do any serious firearms training before embarking on a shooting spree.

Why take so long to release the guy's name? He is injured and in custody.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
I have to say that the shooter must have piss poor skills, given the result. He had the initiative, surprise, and a long rifle against human targets on a field with no cover.
I was thinking the same thing. Since he got Scalise in the hip, I assumed that he didn't have any shooting skills, a poorly setup scope, didn't count for bullet drop, etc. It was also interesting that, assuming, the reports that the shooter asked if it was Republicans or Democrats playing, that Republicans were specifically targeted. Any any rate, with 25 or so congressmen on the field and only a two hit with no-lethal shots, it doesn't sound like the shooter was any type of marksman.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
So does this result in renewed interest in a AWB? Conversions on the Republican side to "see the light" about a ban now they they have been on the receiving end of an attack?
We'll be hearing from the Dems today for sure. I'm surprised that they haven't held a press conference and introduced legislation on the floor already.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Brad Wenstrup now stating that Roger Williams wasn't shot - false report. Just injured his foot when running for cover.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Bullet drop? He was behind a dugout behind third base. The Congressman was second base.
Supposedly he moved around, but I agree, it doesn't seem likely that he was ever off the field and thus far enough away for any appreciable bullet drop. Initial reports had him starting from behind a building which I thought was off the field.

·
69,784 Posts
Supposedly he moved around, but I agree, it doesn't seem likely that he was ever off the field and thus far enough away for any appreciable bullet drop. Initial reports had him starting from behind a building which I thought was off the field.
Well, I am sure more facts will come out and everything we think is true will turn out to be false . . . that's how these early reports go.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts