1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
I have to admit, I find the loud ads really annoying but not nearly as annoying as a gov't that is so completely out of touch with reality that at this point its just laughable. :roll:

When I first heard about this my first thought was that if the gov't was going to do something about this (and I don't think it's any of their business, of course) shouldn't it really be the job of the FCC and not Congress?

This is probably the worst one.....
:lol:

...although this one is bad too.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9EOjizF ... re=related

Or maybe this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVAXi0Y1 ... re=related

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
The loud commercial regulation was present and heavily enforced by the FCC (big fines) back in the 60's and 70's but it was all 'over the air' TV back then, no cable.

Not sure the FCC can regulate much on cable, guess we will find out.

·
Registered
875 Posts
you mean like the Proactive commercial? I have to literally turn the volume down when that one comes on. Definitely not making me want to buy it. Not sure of the marketing strategy on that one. If you had horrible acne that commercial might just embarrass you even more since they are screaming it. :lol:

But yeah. Hey congress. Get rid of the IRS, welfare, TSA, DHS, and SS, not loud commercials.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I always use my "Audio Visual Ultimate Empowerment Tool".................the mute button.
I dont need the government in my living room to tell me how to use it.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
What ever happened to just turning off the tv or not watching those stations? People seem way to eager to give up their own control. :(

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Though there are more important issues at hand...I like it! I hate blaring loud commercials.

Besides, everyone needs small victories to muster some self-confidence. We know the current congress hasn't succeeded with anything positive...

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,312 Posts
Loud commercials are annoying and offensive.
The First Amendment protects purely commercial speech less than other kinds of speech, and for any speech there can be reasonable restrictions on Time, Place, and Manner.

The "manner" of most TV commercials is to blast you out of your chair and make you wince with pain in your ears as you scramble for the remote control to stop the assualt on your hearing.

I'm all for the new law. But I want it passed by Congress, after Congress hears from the American people about it. It should not be done by some federal agency passing a rule after a notice-and-comment period that only industry insiders will pay attention to. Let the people's voices be heard by our elected representatives.

P.S. I'm kind of on the fence about Congress' authority to regulate television, but I suppose I'm OK with calling it a "commerce clause" exercise of power. Clearly individual states cannot and should not regulate what's on TV. Television is a national product for a national audience (well, international really, but the lowest level we should be able to regulate it is nation-by-nation).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts