Confused about holsters with retention features.

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by SamTay04, Oct 23, 2007.

1. SamTay04

SamTay04 New Member

Does anyone have any experience with using holsters with retention features? I would not want something overly complicated and was interested in possibly purchasing one. What are some good options? Should I be this concerned about weapon retention if I was to open carry?

Oh, it's for a full size 1911 by the way

Thanks. :D

2. M249

M249 New Member

Check out my Serpa review a few posts down. :) Holsters are like guns. You have to find one that works for you, and in the process you'll amass quite a collection...

or so I hear.

3. SamTay04

SamTay04 New Member

Thanks, that was actually one of the holsters that I came across when looking at a few sites earlier today. It’s made out of some kind of carbon fiber material? Would that put any more wear on the finish of the gun than a traditional leather or kydex holster?

4. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Most holsters have some type of retentioneven if it is only friction. For open carry some type of active retention is almost a must. Go to one of the upcoming GCO luncheons and just like all here say they will let you check out what they have to get a better idea.

5. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I like my Bianchi Carry-Lok. They make it for the 1911.

It's a leather holster with belt loops and a retention tab behind the pistol You press the tab with the middle finger as you're drawing and off goes the retention.

I also like the SERPA system and own one of those, but I like where the Bianchi rides with my Sig better.

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Situational Awareness (SA) is probably one of the best defenses. I know my arm goes right to my side if someone gets too close. Not draw-ready-hand-on-gun, but just flat to my side. IMO, just being aware is most of the battle. It can help you avoid a situation if intervention isn't absolutely necessary. I must look paranoid walking around on campus always looking around, making note of who is where, etc. (not like I have much to defend myself with, anyway)

7. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

IMHO, absolutely. Retention might be considered secondary when concealed carrying but when open carrying it is primary. The absolute worst thing that could happen in a "situation" is to have the BG get your gun.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Such a surprise attack wouldn't happen if proper attention to your surroundings was a priority.

9. Bulldawg182

Have to disagree. There are many instances where trained LEOs have lost their weapons to the BG knowing full well what their surroundings were. Yes, it's important to always be aware of your surroundings.......but a good retention holster is, IMHO, a must if you choose to openly carry.

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Don't LEOs have retention holsters? So, the retention didn't keep the BG from getting the gun?

11. Bulldawg182

You made the statements above and stated matter of factly that "such a surprise attack wouldn't happen if proper attention to your surroundings was a priority". I never made the statement that a retention holster would 100% prevent a BG from getting your gun. I only said that, "IMHO, a good retention holster is a must if you carry openly". No, a good retention holster will not always "keep the BG from getting the gun", but it will more so than a non-retention holster and that's why LEOs and most educated firearms professionals use them when openly carrying.

12. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I personally would never OC without a retention holster (only exception is if I am on my way to the range and will not be making any/many stops). I am very aware of my surroundings but still like the added security provided by a retention holster. They are not fool proof but might at least provide some resistance if a BG gets the drop on you, maybe enough for you to regain proper control of your weapon.

13. SamTay04

SamTay04 New Member

Thanks for your opinions and/or suggestions. :D

14. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Agree with Volgrad and Bulldawg. I would never open carry without a retention holster. I have the Serpa for my 45, but I don't care for it too much. Personal preference and all that, but if I was going to open carry that is the holster I would use.

Personally, I CC and as of right now am using a Desantis holster. No active retention like the Serpa, but it does have a screw that can be adjusted for additional friction.