Confidence & sports psychology

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Verbal101, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

In my experience, one of the biggest obstacles to performing well in any sport, once you've developed the fundamental skills necessary, is confidence.

Example:
    My pursuit is bowling. I've practiced for 5 years and know the fundamentals. My handicap is low and getting lower every week. Yet - I have developed a mental block regarding the 7 pin. As a right hander, it should be an easy spare for me. A month ago, it was easy. Then I started missing. Now I'm missing about 2/3 of my attempts. I actually feel a sense of dread when I see the 7 pin down the lane. It's like I set myself up for failure before I even attempt the shot.

I will focus on the 7 in my next few practice sessions; hopefully making the shot a few times will inspire the confidence I'm now missing.

My question to you:
    Have you ever had to overcome a mental block in a sport or other skilled pursuit? To make it relevant, how about in hunting or shooting sports? Any useful books, links, etc. that you found? Have any bowlers specifically tackled a troublesome pin & had good results?

Thanks

2. tony218

tony218 New Member

i never had anything like that but, my father had to start using a "release" trigger in
    his trap gun because of a flinch.