Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't laugh...

In my Loft, I leave my semi autos in condition 3 figuring I can rack a round into it quickly enough. However, if I'm carrying outside, I'm carrying condition 1 cocked & locked.

(guns are a Sig P238 and a S&W M&P9c (which is NOT the model with the external safety))

Just wondering if y'all leave your arms in cocked & locked 24x7x365 or if you drop the mag & the hammer daily, weekly or what...

(sorry, from WI, where guns are bad ya know?!?)

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I've left a 1911 in condition 1 for about 6 months before. I usually get to the range more often than that though. Guns in the safe are all condition 3

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
I always carry with a round in the chamber, even at home. I want the transition from gun in holster to presentation on the target to be the same movement no matter where I am. In a high stress situation you're going to do what you practiced. I don't want to forget to rack my slide at home or rack my slide out of habit unnecessarily out in the field. My Sigs are not designed to be carried cocked though, as they have a decocker instead of a manual safety. So I would say I generally carry in Condition 2.

I plan on getting a 1911 sometime this year, and when I do I would obviously carry that Condition 1, as intended.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
The only time I am not condition One is when I clean and inspect, or in between new magazine insertion after firing.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
ookoshi said:
I always carry with a round in the chamber, even at home. I want the transition from gun in holster to presentation on the target to be the same movement no matter where I am. In a high stress situation you're going to do what you practiced. I don't want to forget to rack my slide at home or rack my slide out of habit unnecessarily out in the field. My Sigs are not designed to be carried cocked though, as they have a decocker instead of a manual safety. So I would say I generally carry in Condition 2.

I plan on getting a 1911 sometime this year, and when I do I would obviously carry that Condition 1, as intended.
I don't think the OP was asking about the best way to carry, I think he was just asking from a mechanical standpoint if it's OK to leave a gun in C1 for extended periods of time, or if you should work the action periodically. Maybe I missed something though.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Adam5 said:
Match10 said:
The only time I am not condition One is when I clean and inspect, or in between new magazine insertion after firing.
I do the same.
Ditto with my 1911. Condition 1 all the time.

Ruger P90 on the other hand is conditon 2 since it has a decocker. All I got to do is pick it up, flip off safety and squeeze the trigger.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'm of the opinion that any modern pistol can remain in condition 1 with no ill effect for longer than any typical gun toter would require.

And by 'typical gun toter,' I mean anyone who owns and carries guns who's not in a coma, on sabbatical, or on the lam. Because most gun toters shoot their guns occasionally, if not regularly. So even if you only shoot once a year, I'm sure a pistol can remain in condition 1 for an entire year and still function fine.

To put it another way, if you shoot more than once a year, this shouldn't EVER be a concern for you. And if you only shoot every other year, you should shoot more often!

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
My 1911's stay in condition 1 24/7.

·
Registered
338 Posts
ARMT Guy said:
My 1911's stay in condition 1 24/7.
Yea mine too (except mine's out of order for a hot minute)

I had wondered about this too at one point, I know on a 1911 the Sear holds the hammer back so there's no wear on anything like a spring being stretched or whatever.. Not sure how a Striker pistol actually works deep down, but pretty much the same principal.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I remember a Cooper Comment about a 1911 being stored in condition 1 for well over 20 years. The owner had passed and the wife never touched it. No ill effects. Motion wears out springs not compression.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Match10 said:
This!!
Granted, I have only been a member of the SSEC for about 13 months, now.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dcannon1 said:
I don't think the OP was asking about the best way to carry, I think he was just asking from a mechanical standpoint if it's OK to leave a gun in C1 for extended periods of time, or if you should work the action periodically. Maybe I missed something though.
Yep, exactly.

To be honest, I'm not used to guns sitting around C1, and was wondering if anyone went C1 to C3 repeatedly (like C1 out during the day, C3 at night). I know that really doesn't make logical sense, but figured I'd ask if anyone did it.

I'm sure I'll get used to it being C1 soon enough. It's not bothering me a bit right now. :lol:

Thanks for the replies everyone. The exact info I was looking for.

Definitely keeping this in mind as well for future guns. I would LOVE a de-cocker & double-action, but no such luck with the P238, and now I see that the M&P9 is offered with a thumb safety which I'd have bought too had it been available years back when I picked it up.

Ah well, live & learn. I'm just glad to have the ability to pick up well made guns.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Why would you manipulate a firearm, increasing the chances for a ND? Condition One is pertfectly safe, and is the design of the weapon. (I have seven loaded handguns within ten feet of where I sit right now.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
my wife knows comparatively little about most of our firearms in the house, but she knows if she drops safety and pulls the trigger its gonna shoot what she was aiming at. If you somehow had a electrical device that was needed to save your life at a unknown time wouldn't you want it plugged in and at the ready? If condition 1 is safe enough to ride on my hip all day its safe enough for in the safe when I swap out to a alternate gun. Our gunvaults have multiple handguns in each if each gun has extra mags then it could get confusing quickly, but its a good thing all the guns are ready to work and dont need to be loaded first.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I agree with the Condition One crowd.
"Be Prepared" and have peace of mind.
Also had an experience where a neighbor, who was not a shooter
had a Browning 9 left for a number of years.
After it was discovered, no problem with firing.

:righton:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone. I've had my carry gun in C1 since a few hours before starting this thread and it's not bothering me a bit. Doesn't even seem weird anymore.

C1 it is... :D

·
Registered
477 Posts
As has been mentioned before, if you're not comfortable with condition 1 you should reconsider carrying a gun. Wouldn't want someone to get hurt.. :righton:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Condition 1 always. Even when I got my license when I was 22 I felt oddly (maybe that's not so odd) comfortable carrying that way. I keep my finger away from the trigger and all is well. Side note, I have been carrying for over 2 years now since 2 weeks ago. I didn't even think about it until yesterday. Got my mom to get her license a few months ago and she carries everyday now too. I feel weird leaving home without one now. She does NOT feel comfortable with C1 yet but at least she has something on her.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts