Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
74,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Though half the states in the union now have some type of “constitutional-carry” law on the books, and so citizens don’t have to get special permission, via concealed-carry permits, to use their right to carry for self-defense, the number of Americans with concealed-carry permits has still gone up in the last year.​

Reactions: DonT

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
6,086 Posts
Pretty good...over 1 million folks in Georgia have a carry license. I just wish they would all carry a gun daily. How many people in Georgia do you think are carrying on any given day? I would bet, 10% or 15% actually carry somewhat regularly. If that.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Pretty good...over 1 million folks in Georgia have a carry license. I just wish they would all carry a gun daily. How many people in Georgia do you think are carrying on any given day? I would bet, 10% or 15% actually carry somewhat regularly. If that.
There are lots of reasons people don't carry, including employer's rules. Ensuring continuity of income and keeping food in the fridge is self defense too.

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
There are lots of reasons people don't carry, including employer's rules. Ensuring continuity of income and keeping food in the fridge is self defense too.
I bet those six Walmart employees in Chesapeake, Virginia would have liked to reconsider that yesterday.

Never seems to bother the shooter though, does it?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I bet those six Walmart employees in Chesapeake, Virginia would have liked to reconsider that yesterday.

Never seems to bother the shooter though, does it?
This is easy to say this truism in light of this most recent tragedy. However, in the big picture don't loose sight of the risk of being discovered and summarily fired. The risk of getting discovered and outted by your coworkers for carrying contrary to company policy is an order of magnitude higher than being a victim and most people cannot afford the lost income while living pay-check-to-paycheck. For those in higher end corporate jobs, there is the risk of being black listed out of an industry. It can litterally take years to rebuild to the point they were after a firing for cause.

People also have to go to and from their children's schools for functions.

I think this is the sort of thing for which Claude Werner (tacticalprofessor) quips that firearms instructors should "get a real job" in order to understand the context that their clients live in on a daily basis.

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
6,086 Posts
Of course there are lots of reasons to not carry. Some of those reasons, such as employer rules, make sense. Other issues, not so much. Fear of carrying a gun, ignorance of the laws, inconvenience of carrying, only wanting to carry "sometimes", not having the right holster or carry method - these issues can be overcome with the right firearm, the right holster, training and education. And understanding how to "deep conceal" a small handgun is certainly an option, even at work. Is that juice worth that squeeze? Every individual has to decide that themselves. 20 years in the Army...no carry of personal firearms of course, with career ending consequences. I have had a couple of corporate jobs, one of which was quite explicit about no firearms, but I could have easily carried a small pistol. Getting made would have resulted in immediate termination, so I didn't carry. I'm spoiled now, working at a gun store and carrying every day. I carry every day, and I encourage others to do so as well, offering advice on how best to do so. Embracing this lifestyle does require effort, time, money, and the right mindset. Not enough people want to expend the effort and the time and money.

Reactions: mark5019 and frankr

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
This is easy to say this truism in light of this most recent tragedy. However, in the big picture don't loose sight of the risk of being discovered and summarily fired. The risk of getting discovered and outted by your coworkers for carrying contrary to company policy is an order of magnitude higher than being a victim and most people cannot afford the lost income while living pay-check-to-paycheck. For those in higher end corporate jobs, there is the risk of being black listed out of an industry. It can litterally take years to rebuild to the point they were after a firing for cause.

People also have to go to and from their children's schools for functions.

I think this is the sort of thing for which Claude Werner (tacticalprofessor) quips that firearms instructors should "get a real job" in order to understand the context that their clients live in on a daily basis.
Being alive to face a new day trumps everything you said. You can always rebuild your social, economic and family worlds. It may or may not take time but it most definitely will never happen if you're dead. After a certain point in my now retired from career I always had a firearm with me and it was known to my peers in senior management. I was surprised at first by how many of them also quietly carried a handgun. It was quite normal and this was way before the "crazies" became a thing. The only big picture I was ever concerned about was not being subjected to the whims of some corporate policy that had zero percent chance of protecting my life. And that has been proven over and over again almost every day in the news.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts