Concealed Carry @ Work

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Nondescript, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Nondescript

Nondescript New Member

Can an employer prevent you from carrying at work? (I would suspect so.)

(I still need to do more research on the company policy, but it would be highly surprising if they didn't prohibit employees from carrying. At least I know they cannot prohibit us from carrying in our cars/glove box.)

Would it be smart and advisable to carry anyway? Would this be unlawful? Or only result in termination if discovered/used?

I would like to know because I really plan to pocket carry while at work as I see no reason that an employer should be able to prevent me from protecting myself, as I have a constitutional right to do so and a license to do so.

I was already making plans to purchase a pocket gun for work, but now i'm getting more serious because one time me and a fellow employee were out taking out trash by ourselves and were approached by a strange man (homeless?) who stared me down when I simply said hello, and then he proceeded to walk around behind me and stare me down. Luckily we at least had knives in our hands which were were using to cut bags open which probably deterred him. Otherwise he may have attacked me/us.

2. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

Unless you work in a location that's off-limits by law to GWCL holders, it's legal for you to carry at work regardless of company policy. Your employer can fire you if they find out and you should probably assume that would be the outcome, and decide accordingly.

young_, Motopackin and Archangel like this.

3. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

Your private employer can certainly have a rule against carrying weapons. They can fire you for violating the rule, no matter how well or poorly that rule was communicated.
    It's "at will empoyment" unless you actually have a contract for a term of employment, and that contract addresses rules and discipline.

Your employer's rules don't carry any criminal-law penalty, though.

young_, DonT and Archangel like this.
  4. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

My opinion on this matter is, regardless of a company policy, to ME my life is worth more than any job. I would (and I'm sure my family would) rather have me unemployed and alive, than having obeyed some stupid policy mainly put in place to please some lame liability policy, and being DEAD.

Having said that, I would STRONGLY advise that should you choose to do so, tell NOBODY that you work with... EVER. I don't care how good of friends you are, or how long you have known one another. Do NOT... EVER.

Just saying...

timbrubaker, Scout706, DonT and 3 others like this.
  5. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Did your employer issue you an employee handbook? If so, see if there are any rules explicitly forbidding weapons on company property and any related penalty if caught in violation.

6. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

When I was with Owens Corning Home Experts there was a strict policy of not carrying firearms. I carried to the interview and the whole time I worked there. Everyone knew it including area and regional management. While I was asked to not carry I refused and carried anyway. They decided without input from me I was too valuable to the company to to worry about it. One other person was also allowed to carry for the same reason. My direct supervisor and upper office management were not among the anointed ones allowed to carry.

If your value to the company is worth more than company policy you have a 50/50 chance of actually getting away with carrying even against company policy. Make yourself stand out as a exceptional value even above and beyond local management and upper management will have the option to take care of you.

MaricopaKid likes this.
  7. Nondescript

Nondescript New Member

Thanks, everyone, for the replies.

I have previously checked the employee handbook, twice, and checked it again just now and can find nothing at all about firearms in the book. My place of employment allows customers to carry, and follows local gun laws. There are no signs prohibiting firearms. So, as long as it won't negatively affect my ability to carry/GWCL then i'm good. Rather be unemployed than dead or seriously injured.

As a family member said when I mentioned carrying at work: "You could get fired." And I said, /shrug "I'm pretty sure they remove you from the payroll if you're dead..." :)

I am a valuable employee as well, not that I would expect any special treatment for it in this matter, but I have been told i'm one of their best employees and that they would hate to lose me.

Anyhow, after lots of research and contemplation I have just purchased a Remington RM380 for this purpose. I hope it fits the bill.

And, yeah, I will certainly tell no one.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    MaricopaKid likes this.
  8. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

We have federal government contracts where I work, so there is a zero tolerance policy for firearms and ammunition. A 12ga shotgun shell in the trunk of your car can get you fired.

9. moe mensale

Is management free to search your vehicle without notice at any time?

10. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

Don't ask, don't tell.

If you conceal your weapon, they won't know about it unless you need it. And if you need it, well, worrying about getting fired is the least of your problems.

My CFO is a safety nut and won't even let folks have scissors upstairs because of "liability issues". Nobody has told me I can't carry, but I assume if it was a proven fact that I did that there would be objection to it. 4 of us here have our permits, and I know there are at least 5 guns in the parking lot on any given day. I don't know if I'm the only one carrying or not, I do not discuss it even with the folks who I know have their GWL.

Archangel likes this.
  11. Savannah Dan

I don't remember, but a couple of years ago they brought dogs through the parking lots of a few of our campuses. The dogs alerted on about 20 cars that had guns, ammo, or both in them. All were fired. It was nuts.

12. moe mensale

Upstairs? Sounds like "upstairs" is a real scary place! :lol:

13. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

lol we're in a 2 story building. Management downstairs, us lowly folks upstairs. And there's a psych clinic next door. We've already had an interesting encounter with one of their patients, after which one of the ladies upstairs said that if I was carrying a gun, she would be happy about it, and several people agreed. I just smiled and laughed a little.

14. Teeter

Teeter Active Member

This . . . right . . . here!!!

Archangel likes this.
  15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back.

16. Nondescript

Nondescript New Member

Well, aside from the problems with my new RM380, mentioned in another thread, I did carry it to work a few times.

I was afraid to post but I doubt anyone is going to figure me out, and if they're on this forum they aren't going to care.

So, I got ready to carry to work on that first day only to discover that my work pants were torn. A piece of elastic that goes from the top of my right pocket and was stitched to the waist/belt line came loose in the dryer. So... I had to wear jeans to work instead.

I threw my pocket gun in, and when I got to work I saw my manager immediately look down at my pants but he didn't say anything about them. Just told me to do something and walked away. I was all paranoid, like, "OMG, he looked at my gun!" lol (But I also know he opens carries outside of work, so...) Then another manager noticed I was out of uniform, and said something about my jeans. Then I realized they didn't know; it was just that I was out of uniform, of course! Throughout the night two other members of management and another employee all mentioned my jeans.

So, it was kind of cool. Kinda of a serious test that, not only was I carrying a pocket pistol at work and was all paranoid of someone finding out, but I was also calling extra attention to it by having to wear jeans to work that day. lol Crazy.

I carried the gun again in my uniform pants the next two days and no one ever noticed anything at all.

Jonathan Freeman likes this.
  17. moe mensale

Cool. That was at work with people you know. Now get a decent OWB holster and perform the Wal-Mart open carry walk around strangers. There's a specific pattern you must follow, however. It's not just a random stroll through the store. Someone here has previously posted a "map" of the stroll. Maybe they'll re-post it. :lol:

18. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

The first few times you carry, you feel like a spotlight is on you and that everybody is looking at you. It feels like they can read your thoughts.

Eventually, you completely forget about it and it becomes your "new normal". Congrats!

19. Savannah Dan

I carried around the house for about a month IIRC before I OC'd in public. That way I wasn't bumping it on stuff and fiddling with it all the time.

Sirplaya likes this.
  20. moe mensale

Today might be a good day to do your Wal-Mart Walk. Apparently there's something going on with Wal-Mart and the cops today. I don't know if it's a local thing or not. There must have been a couple dozen cops at the east Rome store this morning. City & county police, sheriff deputies and even one state trooper. Nary a second look from anyone. :mrgreen: