Concealed carry gun-wielder intervenes in domestic dispute and is shot dead

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Rugerer, May 3, 2016.

1. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...s-shot-dead/ar-BBsz37g?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCDHP

I'm sure the facetwittergram comment feeds will blow up on this one.

The bad guy was shooting his wife. The ex-Marine permit holder was supposed to wait for the police, darn it!

2. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

If the article I read earlier today is correct, the guy shooting his wife admitted to slapping the gun out of the would be Samaritan's hand and then shot him in the face.

Some fatal hesitation and poor situation control perhaps.

3. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

The article says that the wife had gone inside a Walgreens for help. The shooter was attempting to leave the parking lot when the other person went and got a gun and confronted him. Maybe this would have been a good time to be a "good witness".

4. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

Agreed, my first duty is to my family. Lacking any imminent threat to them, or myself, I would likely not chase down a fleeing felon. Though I would probably render assistance to the victim, and intervene should the felon return with felonious intent.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  5. phaed

phaed Active Member

that may be. but, it's important to note that it's possible to do everything right and still have a bad outcome, because the enemy always has a say in the matter. mistakes or no, at least he acted.

6. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Well-Known Member

Quite the unfortunate ending for Mr. Antell.

I wouldn't have advised trying to stop and detain the shooter as he attempted to leave. The worst part was allowing Mr. Braden to get close enough to slap the gun out of his hand. Given the circumstances, I believe Mr. Antell would've been justified in shooting an advancing Mr. Braden.

7. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

+1 ...

8. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

This. Sometimes the dragon wins.

https://apothegms.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/dragon-bw.jpg

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Very unclear what happened. It looks like the Marine blocked the Army guy in and pointed his pistol at him and told him to drop the gun. Instead, the Army guy got out of his truck, slapped the pistol out of the Marine's hand, and then shot him in the head.

That SOUNDS like a case of fatal hesitation, but who knows what really happened?

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Everybody wants to point guns at people from within arm's reach.
    That's what we see in movies.
    People, the reason the characters point guns at each other at near contact distance in Hollywood productions is because often the director wants BOTH of the people in the same screen shot at the same time.
    Not having the camera jump from one to another,
    and not having the camera back up far enough to film them both with a wide angle lens.
    So the director has them go nose-to-nose and stick guns in each others' faces. It makes for an easy and visually exciting image on the screen.

But doing that in real life puts you and your gun within reach of the other guy.
    Some people can disarm you really fast, in the blink of an eye.

12. Malum Prohibitum

It does not sound like he was within arm's reach, but he let the guy approach to within arm's reach. Not what I would have expected from a Marine.

We have so little detail, however, that it is difficult to tell what happened.

We will never know what the Marine knew, either. He might have hesitated because he was not 100% sure what was happening and was not 100% sure this was even the right guy. The Army guy might have concealed his pistol and appeared unarmed, and approached him with hands open . . .

There could have been a lot of very confusing things going on right at that point in time.

13. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

Horrible situation.

Over a selfie and jealousy.

14. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

In my first training class I asked the LEO officers that were teaching it about shooting an unarmed suspect if they approached you even knowing you had a weapon. The reply was "You cannot let them take your gun" and this is a prime example of why you don't let that happen.

15. phaed

phaed Active Member

i can do it, so can most here if they practice. marty hayes (firearms academy of seattle) teaches a class specifically on how to do it, and guard against it. it doesn't take being a ninja or magic to do it, either. it relies on the principle that action is faster than reaction. on average, a person takes at least .25 sec to react to some stimulus (i.e. pull the trigger if they see you move), and there's nothing they can do to change that. some might be surprised what they can do in that amount of time if they practice. it's enough time to at least get a gun pointing at you off-axis.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  16. Malum Prohibitum

How many threads have we had on here recently describing prosecutions for shooting an unarmed person? Several I can recall.

17. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

I know, I've read them. Doesn't change the fact that is what I was told. I guess when you have immunity, it's easier to say that. It also doesn't change the fact if you're too slow reacting, you may not survive. This guy certainly didn't.

18. Malum Prohibitum

=D>

Yep!