Concealed Carry Badges???

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by rajl, May 4, 2007.

1. rajl

rajl New Member

I won't bore you guys with the background of how I met the guy, but I was having a casual conversation with someone who also has their GFL. We ended up talking for about 35 or 40 minutes.

At one point in our conversation, he mentions that he has a "concealed carry badge". Being somewhat clueless, I asked him about it. He went out to his car, reached into his glovebox, and pulled out a small, black, leather badge carrier. He opened it, and on one side there was a copy of his GFL. On the other side was a shiny, plastic, badge that looked like a police badge from a halloween costume, but instead of "Police", it had "Concealed Carry Permit" written on it.

Clueless about what good such a thing could do, I asked him. The guy told me that he'd heard it was a "good idea", because it made the license look official and if you were stopped by a rookie cop, it would seem more authoritative.

Personally, I have more faith in rookie cops than he does, and believe they can tell the difference between authoritative and not authoritative without the need of shiny costume jewelry. I also see so many other bad ideas about the concept. For example, someone might see a badge and think you were a real cop when you're not. You might get in trouble for trying to impersonate a police officer. At the very least you look like a middle-aged guy reliving his boy hood dreams of playing cops and robbers.

But I could be wrong. What are y'alls thoughts on the matter? Can anyone think of any useful reason for having a "concealed carry badge" other than for the purposes of playing at a grown up version of "cops and robbers"?

2. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Was he driving this?

[​IMG]

3. Axeman

Axeman New Member

:? I can see how it could make more trouble for someone then it would ever prevent.

Besides if someone other than LEO sees it and thinks he is really a cop, it doesn't help reinforce the fact that law abiding GFL holders can carry as well.

4. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

One use for it is to get you arrested for impersonating a law enforcement officer. :jail:

Other than that I can't think of anything it would be good for... :-k

5. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

To sum a conceal carry badge up in one word it's "garbage". :shakehead:

6. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

:roll: :-#

7. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

If you're showing someone a badge, it's not realy concealed anymore anyway.

I'm not sure I see how the guy would think that a badge he got from a magazine would lend any more "authority" to a license issued by the court.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

These badges are a no-no among serious concealed carriers. If somebody showed me one of those I would laugh at them :lol: and ask them if they were Crockett or Tubbs. :handcuffs:

Cops don't like them because it gives the impression that you are trying to impersonate a police officer which is a bad thing. :( :jail:

All you need to carry in your wallet is that cheap laminated GFL that you paid over $40 bucks for and waited in many cases alot longer than 60 days for. :evil:

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Doc said it best.

10. rajl

rajl New Member

If you didn't gather from my original post, that's pretty much my opinion. If you're licensed, you're licensed. If you're not, you're not. The thing that matters is the piece of paper from the probate court, not the shiny plastic trinket.

I was just curious enough to ask the other serious CCW'ers here if they could think of any reason that might be a good one (other than parting fools from their money).

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

I did gather that from your post. I was just answering your question since you asked for our opinions. :)

12. GeorgiaGlocker

I did gather that from your post. I was just answering your question since you asked for our opinions. :)[/quote:39c5e6ut]

+1

13. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

+1[/quote:38ve5sc8]
    +1

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I NEVER open carry without the badge!

And that is my car in the picture! :D

And I wear blue polyester shirts with patches on the shoulder that say "CCW HOLDER"

:lol:

:shakehead:

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I'm feeling left out so I am gonna add a +1 just for the hell of it.

+1

16. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

+1 to that

17. GeorgiaGlocker

Where are you getting this stuff from? The internet? :shock:

18. rajl

rajl New Member

Is that to match the red ties you wear? :p

19. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Mz,
    I thought you where being arrested when I saw that car parked in your drive way.
    I am glad to know that it was just Malum over there to visit.
    I wonder if I had a GFL badge and Malums car if I could get one of you guys to swear you purchased drugs there if I could get a no knock warrent. :shock: :shock:
    It seem to work for APD. Well almost.
    :rotfl: :rotfl: