Conceal holster for a revolver?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by R65, Oct 19, 2006.

1. R65

R65 New Member

Can anyone provide links or (better) opinions on concealable holsters for a Taurus 85? All I've found is ankle,shirt and shoulder holsters for concealment. Does nobody carry a revolver concealed? I'm really looking for an IWB or tuckable holster, but all I see is manufacturers that make auto holsters.

Thanks!

2. artz

artz New Member

3. Macktee

Macktee New Member

4. R65

R65 New Member

Wow! Thanks for the fast reply. These are great links! I didn't realize don Hume or Galco made the variety for revolvers. Thanks again!

5. wwomack

wwomack New Member

I use a Comp-Tac C-T.A.C. for my S&W642. It's an IWB holster that I think is fairly comfortable and I wear it in the standard IWB position. Most people that get one use them for autoloaders. I think I was the only revolver order when I got mine from THR group buy. http://www.comp-tac.com/

I also have a PCH-R pocket holster from Milt-Sparks for the same gun. http://www.miltsparks.com/

6. ber950

ber950 Active Member

7. R65

R65 New Member

Fobus paddle

I like the make up of the Fobus line, and $25 is hard to beat, but I'm a little confused. I dont understand exactly how a paddle differs from an outside the waistband holster or inside for that matter. Since I've obviously never had one of these style, can someone explain how it sits,comfort,concealibility,etc...

Thanks again!

8. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Fobus & me

I have one of these Fobus paddle's for my Taurus 85. It certainly is comfortable enough, but I don't like the draw on a Fobus. If you don't pull it quickly up at exactly the right angle, it won't come out of the holster. Pull too fast and you'll yank it right out of your pants, holster and all. Pull too slow and you'll just lift your pants. The slightest bit of inside/outside angle and the gun won't draw at all. While I've gotten to the point where I can do this reliably in the tranquility of my home or the range, I wouldn't trust it during the nerves and movement of a life threatening situation. Of course, these are just my 2 cents.

9. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

The advantage of a paddle holster is the ease with which you can put it on and take it off. No need to thread your belt through the holster, simply slip it on or off with the "paddle" portion inside your trousers and the holster portion outside. I have a Fobus paddle holster for my .380 and it gets plenty of use when I am going somewhere that is a no carry zone so I can easily disarm and leave it in the truck.

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Re: Fobus paddle

That is pretty easy to explain. A paddle holster is a type of outside the waistband holster, meaning the gun is positioned on the outside of your pants but still on your waist.

If you take a look at the picture of the holster, the shiny gun shaped mold that is holding the gun sits outside of you pants, like you see carried by uniformed police. The part of the holster in the picture that is behind the gun mold is a non-shiny large rounded bit, that goes inside the waistband and holds the holster.

The advantage is that the holster can be put on and taken off without having to remove or undo any clothing, which you would have to do if you were wearing a belt holster, in which you thread the belt through openings in the holster. If you want to put on or take of the holster you have to undo your belt.

Inside the waistband holster are ones that are designed to keep the gun hidden inside your pants with only the grip showing.

Then there is IWB tuckable, which means that you can tuck your shirt over the holster and grip so that no part of the gun and only the part of the holster that attaches to your belt can be seen.

So to sum up, IWB and OWB are telling you where the gun is to be carried on your waist, the method the holster uses for you to carry it is paddle, belt, or clips.

Each concealment type and attachment method have their pros and cons depending on what you are wearing and what you are doing.

I have 3 hosters for my XD-40. 1 IWB tuckable with clips, 1 OWB with paddle (it is a Fobus), and 1 OWB with belt.

11. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Seems to me that there would be retention issues with a paddle holster. Probably not that big of a deal if you have the gun covered by a shirt or coat, but for open carry I'd be concerned about retention.

12. wwomack

wwomack New Member

I never worried too much about retention with my fobus holster. Unless you draw at the correct angle (and with the right amount of force) the gun does not leave the holster. The best someone trying to grab your gun could do was pull the holster out of your pants/belt and that would be difficult if your belt is decently tight.

13. R65

R65 New Member

Hmmm...

Again, thanks for all the feedback.

After reading all this I have decided not to "splurge" the 25 bucks for a Fobus. I'm sure they are made fine but not sure they do what I need them to do. I seems a "Crossbreed" might be the ticket, as they are concealable AND with j hooks, stable!

14. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I'm going to get one of those as well.