Computer Help

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Purge, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Purge

Purge New Member

My harddrive on my laptop is sectioned off, 15gig C: and 17gig D: My C: drive is about full. Can I move the compartmenting of the two drives to make the C: drive bigger or better yet eliminate the D: drive (if it doesn't slow things down)?

2. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Delete or offload stuff that you don't need. Then see if you can come up with a program called PartitionMagic. It will allow you to move or delete partitions on the fly. I used it years ago with good results.

The other alternative is to reformat and reload the HD. Make SURE you have offloaded all data files you want to keep, have the original install disks for the OS and programs. Once you start the reformat EVERYTHING WILL BE GONE! Set aside a day or two to complete the process.

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

32 GB...Sounds like it's time for an upgrade. :p

Seriously, hard drives are fairly cheap and generally not too difficult to install.

I'm not sure if you have a laptop or a desktop and what type of drive you have, but you can look at some of the prices here:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=14&name=Internal-Hard-Drives

If you double-click "My Computer", right click one of your partitions, click Properties, and then click on the Hardware tab, your drive will be listed there with the type of drive (IDE, ATA, etc.)

If you have anything you need on either partition, back it up and also make sure you still have the installation disks for everything. Which partition is Windows on? I'd delete the partition the Windows is not on, as I believe deleting a partition only deletes data on the partition that you're eliminating. Don't quote me on that. It's always a good idea to backup everything before you do stuff like this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

If you need any more help with any of it, post back here and I'll try and help ya out. :)

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Well dang, somebody posted while I was posting. :lol:

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

If you can wait until the end of July, I'll be in the Atlanta area and could possibly help you out. Let me know.

6. Purge

Purge New Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

This is a $3,000 Sony Vaio laptop I bought almost 4 years ago (I love it). After the 3year warranty expired I got my first and only problem… it crashed. So I went ahead and reformatted it and only put the most vital programs on it and I use a 250gig external drive for everything else. I don’t have anything in my D: drive. It was always used for burning videos and of course I can use my external HD for that. I really don’t want to buy a new HD since the laptop is 4years old.

I have to go to Tennessee and I’ll sort out your info this evening.

7. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Get a program called partition majic....you and adjust your volume size an a lot of good stuff...just make sure you have a backup thats always a good thing to have just in case.

8. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

If you want to reformat your HDD or buy Partition Magic to move the partition, I'll help walk you through it. If I were you, I'd go the reformat route. Windows needs a fresh install every now and then.

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

You can use the one built into Windows for free.

10. merlock

merlock New Member

IIRC, the windows partitioning utility is destructive (loss of all data). Partition Magic is not...

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

But you may as well start with a clean install of Windows, especially if you can save some money by not buying that software (a.k.a. upping the ammo fund).

Since it hasn't been done in a year, it's probably about time. It really depends on how much you move files around and install/uninstall/reinstall programs.

12. merlock

merlock New Member

I agree with that. I do mine once a year at the minimum.

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Sometimes it's a pain with the Windows Activation junk if you change out hardware. I'm running Vista now. Just installed it in March, so it isn't time yet.

14. Purge

Purge New Member

I ordered the Partition Magic and I should be getting it soon. One awesome feature is that you can set up different Operating Systems (95, 98, XP). I have a lot of good software that doesn’t run on XP and now it looks like I can have separate OSs. I’m definitely going to look into that. The prices ranged from $15-$70.

15. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I've been looking into how to get rid of a SuSE Linux 10.1 install.

The only problem is the boot manager is in Linux and last time I just wiped that partition I couldn't boot into Winblows until I reinstalled Linux.

I'm gonna run just XP on the laptop to save space. I've got Linux set up on the desktop/server so I can FTP into all my files.

16. pyromaster

pyromaster New Member

Make a bootable floppy with fdisk.exe and boot off it and run fdisk /mbr to clean up your master boot record and get rid of 'ghost' installs that still show up.

-Jeff, who found that out the hard way with SlackWare 3.2 back in the day.

Also, VMWare is really the way to go now ofr paying around. Keep you primary OS and setup a freeware VMWare partition for your test OSes. Waay smoother than moving an IDE cable between old hard drives like I used to do.

17. Purge

Purge New Member

Help

I received PartitionsMagic software and it doesn’t work. I went through all the steps and when the computer goes to shutdown and reboot to make the changes it says:

Partition magic is unable to read the batch file. Verify that the system 32 directory is not compressed or corrupt. (xmt2002.exe)

I tried the Resize a Partition method. Trying to expand the C: drive or shrink the D: drive (to 3gigs) and the above message. I’m afraid to Merge Partitions…

I tried to backup my C: drive but all of my drives (including my portable 250G harddrive) are considered Primary and you can’t backup to a Primary. I’m not sure how to change one. All of my HDs are NTFS.

I’m a little concerned with my C: drive because I only have half a gig to spare. The last time I got under 1.5 gig it crashed.

18. Claire

Claire New Member

have you tried defrag?
    It can clean up a lot of junk & temp files - resulting in more space.

or go into the control panel & remove unwanted junk windows installs

I would recommend an external HD
    for 60 - $80 you can get a 160 - 250gb external HD
    just plug & play!

good luck

19. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Defrag doesn't get rid of the files (Maybe I'm just reading your post wrong). It just rearranges everything. You can use Disk Cleanup (in windows) or CCleaner (download online for free) to actually delete stuff. But you're right, hard drive space is so cheap now you may as well just get as much as you can afford. I sold my 300GB external drive so I could buy the G23.