Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
When cities settle cases of inappropriate or illegal force by police officers, they pay - a lot. Chicago alone has paid out more than half a billion dollars since 2004.
That's eight zeros, (only four zeroes less than a trillion).

"We have one officer [in Minneapolis] who's had five significant settlements against him just in a year and a half,"

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yet some advocates say all those payouts haven't had much of an effect on policing practices.
Gee, I wonder where the problem could be?

"I always equate police work to, like, basketball. If you're not getting any fouls, you're not playing hard enough," says Lt. Bob Kroll, president of the Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis.
Quinn says the beneficial feedback that's supposed to happen after a lawsuit - when the officer is disciplined or gets a lecture - just isn't happening enough.

"I think the poor management and the lack of the supervision is what's leading to this stuff," he says. "The cops aren't being held accountable, the supervisors aren't holding them accountable, and we're going to continue to have this money being paid out."

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I dont believe in the tax payor footing the bill for police misconduct and he gets to keep his job. If the officer had to pay 1/2-3/4 of the law suit they would be by the book and not toe the line much less jump over it!

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The article talks about charging the officer increased premiums personally for insurance to help cover the lawsuits.

A main objection is that officers wouldn't DO anything 'cause they wouldn't want to risk having to pay unaffordable premiums, (the article mentions "driving around wearing blinders").

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
The money is coming from the wrong source. Make it come from the source of the offense, and the offenses will stop or come to a trickle.

Hey, trickle down offenses! Sounds like something in a basketball game er, I mean a football game, Lt. Bob Kroll.

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phil1979 said:
Make it come from the source of the offense, and the offenses will stop or come to a trickle.
That's why they're talking about requiring personal professional insurance, similar to malpractice insurance for a doctor. The agency / department would pay the base premium. The insurance company would assess additional premiums from the officer personally for increased lawsuit risk based on how many "fouls" they incur.

As for making the problems stop, that seems to be a primary criticism of the idea. Opponents say incidents would stop because officers would stop doing their jobs because they wouldn't want to risk having to personally pay increased premiums.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
As for making the problems stop, that seems to be a primary criticism of the idea. Opponents say incidents would stop because officers would stop doing their jobs because they wouldn't want to risk having to personally pay increased premiums.
Then fire them and replace them with officers more concerned with truly serving their communities than serving their self interests and egos.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
That's eight zeros, (only one zero less than a trillion).
Actually, half a billion is one less zero than a billion. Not that it's a small sum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts